Sander deWaal

Default Saints of hi-fi

Mr. Jute said:

Please, by all means write about John Linsley Hood. I met him a couple of times and have always thought of him as the quintessential English eccentric.

Well, I don't know very much about the man himself, but I'll try to
describe the circuit he designed and which I've built in the thread
"Linsley-Hood 4 Transistor Amplifier".

And that goes double for Jean Hiraga, with appropriate genuflection. Without Hiraga, there may now be possibly be no hi-fi in Europe, and very likely no tube hi-fi. He is a saint.

I second the last part of that sentence. There are others, of course,
like Verdier, Anthony Michaelson and Tim de Paracivini, but
considering that Hiraga founded L'Audiophile (1977?) and contributed
long before that in (Nouvelle) Revue du Son, he may be regarded the
godfather of valve audio in Europe. But don't forget his
accomplishments with solid state, though he, in turn, was influenced
by others like Kaneda, Kondo, Takegami and Takesue.
Being of Japanese descent, he had to offer the best of 2 worlds, so to
speak.
He truly was an inspiration to thousands of technical music lovers all
over the world, and IMHO continues to be so for those who really care.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy
Old Fart at Play

Sander deWaal wrote:

Mr. Jute said:

Please, by all means write about John Linsley Hood.

I met him a couple of times and have always thought

of him as the quintessential English eccentric.

Well, I don't know very much about the man himself, but I'll try to
describe the circuit he designed and which I've built in the thread
"Linsley-Hood 4 Transistor Amplifier".

I've got the preamp from his (in)famous 75 watt integrated amplifier
and a tub of vaseline waiting. If I ever meet the fellow....

Anyone that designs an amp with a rumble filter that gives a
10bB boost at 20Hz (approximately) and then gets several
distributors to sell it in kit form deserves to be buried
under all the speakers and transistors he blew up. :-)

--
Roger.