Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory[_7_] Gregory[_7_] is offline

Default C42 vs KM184

hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article Yi1ik.493$_l.89@trnddc04, Gregory wrote:
hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

They sound different, but both are good. Any good dealer should be willing
to send you one of each on evaluation to try out.

I think the top end on the C42 is a little cleaner, but that's just me
and you might feel completely differently.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] noxidgerg@gmail.com is offline

On Jul 24, 10:35 am, "Gregory" wrote:
hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

It's been a six years since I have used the KM84's, but I remember
really liking the sound of them. Great if you can find a good pair.
The C42's have a bright high end and I personally do not find my pair
to be noisy. Another thing to consider would be the Mercenary KM69's,
which I've not heard , but are supposed to be similar to the KM84's.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] noxidgerg@gmail.com is offline

I'm confused. Are you talking about KM184's as the title of your post
suggests or KM84's, which the body of your post suggests?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Jul 24, 9:35 am, "Gregory" wrote:
hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

KM184's and KM84's are not even remotely the same sounding. The KM184
has an exaggerated high end and is very sterile in comparison to the
KM84. The 184 does however have a higher output and a lower noise
floor than the 84.

I have used both. My current guitar microphone of choice is the
Schoeps CMC6/42

I have not used the C42.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gregory[_7_] Gregory[_7_] is offline

thanks for all the responses. the mercenary km69 looks interesting but out
of my price range, as are I,m sure are schoeps. even km184's would be a
stretch. so maybe I should be asking for a good pre to use with the c42's
for figerstyle guitar?

"Richard Kuschel" wrote in message
On Jul 24, 9:35 am, "Gregory" wrote:
hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these
mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is
get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

KM184's and KM84's are not even remotely the same sounding. The KM184
has an exaggerated high end and is very sterile in comparison to the
KM84. The 184 does however have a higher output and a lower noise
floor than the 84.

I have used both. My current guitar microphone of choice is the
Schoeps CMC6/42

I have not used the C42.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Jul 24, 2:12 pm, Richard Kuschel wrote:

I have used both. My current guitar microphone of choice is the
Schoeps CMC6/42

I have not used the C42.

I meant Schoeps CMC6/41

If you are looking for an inexpensive mic that sounds decent, look for
the Oktava MCO12.
Get it with all three capsules and experiment. Oktava.com is an
excellent place to buy them as they are checked out and warranteed.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Gregory wrote:
the mercenary km69 looks interesting but
out of my price range, as are I,m sure are schoeps. even km184's would
be a stretch. so maybe I should be asking for a good pre to use with the
c42's for figerstyle guitar?

From the blurb, it looks to me like the Mercenary KM69 was optimized
for hi-hat use so unless you want your acoustic guitar to sound like a
hi-hat, it's probably not the right mic for you anyway. The Josephson
C42 has a transformerless output, so it should be relatively immune to
the effects of input impedance of the preamp on the mic. Get the best
"clean" preamp you can afford and you'll get the most out of the mic.
You might ask Josephson for a suggestion, or ask Fletcher (Mercenary).
How much did you have in mind to spend for a preamp?

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

On Jul 24, 10:35 am, "Gregory" wrote:
hello, I'd be interested in any opinions comparing or evaluating these mics
for use on solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar. I know a common opinion is get
some good KM84's, but easier said than done. and what about the claims of
the C42 being noisy that I have heard elsewhere? any info about front end
for an acoustic solo guitar setup appreciated.

I tried the C42, and I thought it sounded weird, like there's a fairly
narrow bump around 5kHz or so. Wasn't my cup of tea, and it made a
hihat sound strange, for example. I know the km84 sound, it's nice,
clear, and flat, though sometimes a bit dull on sources that need a
little brightening. YMMV.

Sean B
Posted to rec.audio.pro
HKC HKC is offline

I meant Schoeps CMC6/41

What does the /41 refer to, I can't find any info on that on their homepage.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

HKC wrote:
I meant Schoeps CMC6/41

What does the /41 refer to, I can't find any info on that on their homepage.

The capsule. Download the pdf of the catalogue from the web site and
print it out. Look at the page on the Collette system which allows you
to mix and match pieces.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Peter A. Stoll[_2_] Peter A. Stoll[_2_] is offline

"HKC" wrote in
k:

I meant Schoeps CMC6/41

What does the /41 refer to, I can't find any info on that on their
homepage.

The capsules that mate to the CMC6 body bear designations of MK n or MK nn.

For example the MK 4 is a cardioid, and the MK 41 a supercardioid.

A Shoeps page entry point for capsules you might find useful is:

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/mk-select.html