Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default What newsgroup reader do you recommend?

Nick Delonas wrote:

I used MicroPlanet Gravity and liked it a lot, but for some reason it
now keeps disconnecting, making it all but unusable. It hasn't been
updated in years, so I guess I need a new newsreader.

You may not... you may have a problem unrelated to your newsreader. It
won't hurt to try another one, but I'd make sure you don't have other
networking issues.

I'm technically savvy, but too lazy to spend a lot of time learning a
difficult interface. I'm also budget conscious.

Need filtering. I don't mind strong, even harshly-worded posts if they
are reasonable, but I cannot tolerate SPAM nor insanity posts. I also
like features like thread watches and alerts on replies to me.

What do you suggest?

What operating system are you running?

This is the primary newsgroup I read so I may as well ask here. Your
thoughts are very much appreciated as always.

Whatever you get, then, you will want something that will allow you to
kill crossposts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Nick Delonas" wrote in message ...
Hi folks,

I used MicroPlanet Gravity and liked it a lot, but for some reason it
now keeps disconnecting, making it all but unusable. It hasn't been
updated in years, so I guess I need a new newsreader.

I'm technically savvy, but too lazy to spend a lot of time learning a
difficult interface. I'm also budget conscious.

Need filtering. I don't mind strong, even harshly-worded posts if they
are reasonable, but I cannot tolerate SPAM nor insanity posts. I also
like features like thread watches and alerts on replies to me.

What do you suggest?

This is the primary newsgroup I read so I may as well ask here. Your
thoughts are very much appreciated as always.

--Nick

I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the needs you stated.
It's part of the operating system thus relies on your ISP to provide the feed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote ...
I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the needs you
stated.
It's part of the operating system thus relies on your ISP to provide the
feed.

After trying the top 6-8 Windows newsreaders, (free) Outlook
Express still beats them all. YMMV.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

I use pan on windows and Linux. It's
worth a look. The filters seem complex,
but robust.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 17 Jul 2008, Nick Delonas wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I used MicroPlanet Gravity and liked it a lot, but for some reason
it now keeps disconnecting, making it all but unusable. It hasn't
been updated in years, so I guess I need a new newsreader.

I'm technically savvy, but too lazy to spend a lot of time
learning a difficult interface. I'm also budget conscious.

Need filtering. I don't mind strong, even harshly-worded posts if
they are reasonable, but I cannot tolerate SPAM nor insanity
posts. I also like features like thread watches and alerts on
replies to me.

I used to use Gravity, too, and I liked it, especially when I was still
on a dialup connection. My problem with it was that its database was
fragile and frequently became corrupted.

Now I like Xnews. It's a little tricky to set up but once I got it the
way I like it it works great. Unfortunately, it's semi-deadware, but
the author does occasionally fix a bug or two. Its best feature is it's
strong filtering and scoring ability.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Gravereaux David Gravereaux is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote ...
I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the needs you
stated.
It's part of the operating system thus relies on your ISP to provide the
feed.

After trying the top 6-8 Windows newsreaders, (free) Outlook
Express still beats them all. YMMV.

OE has some well known MIME handling problems that will never be
repaired by the Borg, unfortunately. The newest LiveMail client still
has the same buggy OE code behind it. It doesn't support yEnc, which
isn't a problem in this NG.

I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird. It is very standards compliant has a ton
of addons. Forte FreeAgent is also excellent especially for the binary
groups.

Usually, disconnects are caused by the nntp server you are connected to
deciding it doesn't like idle connections. There might be a configure
option for sending wakeup keepalives every so often to prevent idle
disconnects by the server.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\) David Morgan \(MAMS\) is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message...

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote ...

I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the
needs you stated. It's part of the operating system thus relies
on your ISP to provide the feed.

After trying the top 6-8 Windows newsreaders, (free) Outlook
Express still beats them all. YMMV.

And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
clean wrapper.

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nick Delonas[_2_] Nick Delonas[_2_] is offline

Hi Scott.

In article , says...
Nick Delonas wrote:

I used MicroPlanet Gravity and liked it a lot, but for some reason it
now keeps disconnecting, making it all but unusable. It hasn't been
updated in years, so I guess I need a new newsreader.

You may not... you may have a problem unrelated to your newsreader. It
won't hurt to try another one, but I'd make sure you don't have other
networking issues.

I'm technically savvy, but too lazy to spend a lot of time learning a
difficult interface. I'm also budget conscious.

Need filtering. I don't mind strong, even harshly-worded posts if they
are reasonable, but I cannot tolerate SPAM nor insanity posts. I also
like features like thread watches and alerts on replies to me.

What do you suggest?

What operating system are you running?

Windows XP Pro.

This is the primary newsgroup I read so I may as well ask here. Your
thoughts are very much appreciated as always.

Whatever you get, then, you will want something that will allow you to
kill crossposts.

Yes. Gravity also has a Bozo button for the true nut cases. There's
that paranoid schizophrenic who cross posts here and every where. I
need that for him.

Networking is my weak point, technically. However, I have no other
issues with any other software.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 18 Jul 2008, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm wrote
in rec.audio.pro:

And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
clean wrapper.

I don't agree with that. I don't like it's interface, but that's just
my preference. OE's biggest failure is it's filtering, which is weak,
weak, weak. You can't kill crossposts, you can't use regular
expressions, you can only filter on fewest most basic criteria - pretty
useless for me. I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Nil" wrote in message
| On 18 Jul 2008, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm wrote
| in rec.audio.pro:
|
| And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
| rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
| about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
| clean wrapper.
|
| I don't agree with that. I don't like it's interface, but that's just
| my preference. OE's biggest failure is it's filtering, which is weak,
| weak, weak. You can't kill crossposts, you can't use regular
| expressions, you can only filter on fewest most basic criteria - pretty
| useless for me. I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

So, what do you use that has those features?

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Nil" wrote...
"David Morgan \(MAMS\)" wrote
And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
clean wrapper.

I don't agree with that. I don't like it's interface, but that's just
my preference. OE's biggest failure is it's filtering, which is weak,
weak, weak. You can't kill crossposts, you can't use regular
expressions, you can only filter on fewest most basic criteria -
pretty useless for me. I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Indeed, the UI is the thing I like best about OE (and turned
me off to the others). I'm willing to put up with weak filtering
for a decent UI. I find it easy enough to glance down the list
of subject lines and discern the trash from the ones I actually
want to read. Dunno why others seem to have such a problem
with that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[...]

The GUI is the very best thing about OE. I can see as many
threads as I care to leave in the reader, in a perfectly indented
sequence by date and directly associated to the previous post
follow-up. Killing crossposts is *not* an issue, unless the only
intention is to never see the crossposted original post at all.
Otherwise, all you have to do is keep your follow-ups (either
manually by deletion, or automatically with a preset) set to
only the group of choice. Filtering by moniker, address,
name, subject line content, etc.. I haven't really found anything
that I couldn't filter in one way or another if I really took the time.
The very first news rule is the options list is for filtering specific
groups, meaning a way to eliminate seeing any of the common
crossposts.

I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Interesting.

How long did you use it (Nil) before you gave it up as hopeless?

DM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau[_4_] Romeo Rondeau[_4_] is offline

I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Interesting.

How long did you use it (Nil) before you gave it up as hopeless?

DM

Hey Dave! Have you tried Thunderbird? It's UI is nearly identical to OE,
but has WAY more options for controlling the programs behavior including
some really bitching junk filters. I tried it a couple of years ago and
haven't looked back since.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

"David Morgan (MAMS)" /Odm wrote in message

I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the needs you stated.
It's part of the operating system thus relies on your ISP to provide the feed.

I'd like to see OE remember where you are in each folder. When you switch, then come back
to a folder, it takes you back to the top every time.

--
Earl

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message news:LRxgk.158$5Q.17@trnddc06...

"David Morgan (MAMS)" /Odm wrote in message

I have no complaints with Outlook Express on PC... fills all the needs you stated.
It's part of the operating system thus relies on your ISP to provide the feed.

I'd like to see OE remember where you are in each folder. When
you switch, then come back to a folder, it takes you back to the
top every time.

'Flag' the thread you're leaving before you close the group folder. (?)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in message ...

I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Interesting.

How long did you use it (Nil) before you gave it up as hopeless?

DM

Hey Dave! Have you tried Thunderbird? It's UI is nearly identical to OE,
but has WAY more options for controlling the programs behavior including
some really bitching junk filters. I tried it a couple of years ago and
haven't looked back since.

I *am* considering a 3rd party news server since Verizon dropped
all but the "Big 8".

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Nick Delonas wrote:

Hi folks,

I used MicroPlanet Gravity and liked it a lot, but for some reason it
now keeps disconnecting, making it all but unusable. It hasn't been
updated in years, so I guess I need a new newsreader.

I'm technically savvy, but too lazy to spend a lot of time learning a
difficult interface. I'm also budget conscious.

Need filtering. I don't mind strong, even harshly-worded posts if they
are reasonable, but I cannot tolerate SPAM nor insanity posts. I also
like features like thread watches and alerts on replies to me.

What do you suggest?

This is the primary newsgroup I read so I may as well ask here. Your
thoughts are very much appreciated as always.

I have used since almost eternity, variants of Netscape Communicator 4.x.
Currently 4.8.

Simple, effective, good presentation. Does the job. No pointless frills.
Does what it says on the tin.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Whatever you get, then, you will want something that will allow you to
kill crossposts.

I just do that in the groups bar.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Nick Delonas wrote:

Hi Scott.

In article , says...

What operating system are you running?

Windows XP Pro.

Ditto and Netscape 4.8 works fine on it.

There are later derivatives of the Netscape core like Sea Monkey but I still
like the look and feel of the original.

Graham

Give it a try at least. It's a doddle to configure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

David Gravereaux wrote:

I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird.

I think that's not dissimilar to the Netscape / Sea Monkey line.

It is very standards compliant has a ton
of addons. Forte FreeAgent is also excellent especially for the binary
groups.

But is major overkill for text groups. I dumped it. Also, I thinks it's no longer
available. Paid version only now IIRC.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Nil wrote:

On 18 Jul 2008, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm wrote
in rec.audio.pro:

And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
clean wrapper.

I don't agree with that. I don't like it's interface, but that's just
my preference. OE's biggest failure is it's filtering, which is weak,
weak, weak. You can't kill crossposts, you can't use regular
expressions, you can only filter on fewest most basic criteria - pretty
useless for me. I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

Agreed.

Tried it. Went back to Netscape.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 19 Jul 2008, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'd like to see OE remember where you are in each folder. When
you switch, then come back to a folder, it takes you back to the
top every time.

If you don't have it now, you never will. Outlook Express is no longer
being developed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:57:36 -0500, Nil
wrote:

On 19 Jul 2008, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'd like to see OE remember where you are in each folder. When
you switch, then come back to a folder, it takes you back to the
top every time.

If you don't have it now, you never will. Outlook Express is no longer
being developed.

Sure it is. It's just changed name to Windows Live mail.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Steve King wrote:
"Nil" wrote in message
| On 18 Jul 2008, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)" /Odm wrote
| in rec.audio.pro:
|
| And by being built into the OS, remains relatively assured and
| rock solid in it's deployment and use. People just like to bitch
| about Microsoft... but OE is a powerful tool in a modest and
| clean wrapper.
|
| I don't agree with that. I don't like it's interface, but that's just
| my preference. OE's biggest failure is it's filtering, which is weak,
| weak, weak. You can't kill crossposts, you can't use regular
| expressions, you can only filter on fewest most basic criteria - pretty
| useless for me. I think it's closer to a toy than a tool.

So, what do you use that has those features?

I use rn, which is more than 25 years old now, but which has great killfiles.
You can make it run on the PC but it's a pain in the neck to do so.
On the Mac, both Newswatcher trees have pretty good killfile options.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

On 19 Jul 2008, "Earl Kiosterud" wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I'd like to see OE remember where you are in each folder. When
you switch, then come back to a folder, it takes you back to the
top every time.

If you don't have it now, you never will. Outlook Express is no longer
being developed.

Sure it is. It's just changed name to Windows Live mail.

I can't see why it would be discarded after almost 14 years of successful use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

On 20 Jul 2008, Laurence Payne wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Sure it is. It's just changed name to Windows Live mail.

What makes you think it's the same program with a different name? I
don't know, but there are some big differences, mostly the lack of
folder, but the use of view filters instead. And I believe the mail are
stored as separate files rather than in a database. It's filtering
capability is just as weak as ever. And I'm not aware that MS has
updated the program in about a year, so I wonder how committed to it
they are.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Eeyore wrote:

David Gravereaux wrote:

I prefer Mozilla Thunderbird.

I think that's not dissimilar to the Netscape / Sea Monkey line.

Same code base, I think.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

I am still using Forte Agent 2.0 for one reason: It is the only
reader I have found that lets me transport my newsgroup lists
and pointers from computer to computer. I use 4 different
computers with 3 different ISPs, so this feature is crucial.

Works fine but I am wondering if there are any other options
which have this feature. Even the newer versions of Agent
lack it.

Kal