EddieM

nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

You don't need anythihng that massive to bludgeon the anti-ABX idiots.
Simple truth works just fine.

What other valid audio testing do you know you believe support or
confirm the notion that audiophiles are, as you had said many times
before, delusional for hearing subtle differences that (you think)
aren't there ?

Any comparisons that control bias and rely only on what the listener
HEARS.

A result of hearing no differences under your condition above will not
prove the absence of subtle sound preferences that physically exist.

It will for the person making the comparison as it relates to the 2 units
being compared.

Now how the do you do this if "assuming" that you completely "control"
the listener's biases during this comparative test ?

I don't have any idea what the above is supposed to mean. Try again.

I said how do you suppose the test could prove the absence of subtle
(nuance) sound preference that exist if we assume that your test
completely control the listener's biases when making comparison
during the test ?

Why are anti-abx idiots ?

For rejecting the methodology, and the findings. They are so convinced
that the differences are real that even when they try an ABX comparison,
and fail to detect them, they claim the test is faulty.

The ABX comparisons done by others involved in different areas of audio,
hearing aids and cell phone research, for example, are used to improve
their products, and they are non-controversial. [...]

As you are saying here, the intent for this particular method of
comparison is to search for improvement in their products.

There can't be an improvement without a difference. If one is trying to
determine if something is better sounding than something else, it has to
sound DIFFERENT. If it doesn't sound different, it can't be better.

Of course they can't improve and make their products line better if they
can't distinguish any differences among them during comparative testing.

[...] Only audiophiles claim that they are flawed, yet they have
nothing to offer in place of them.

Could it be that the above methodology is flawed if adapted and applied
to their shopping requirement because their intention is not to improve
or change the designs and sound of particular unit when auditioning
high-end components.

Agree or disagree ?

If you are not looking to upgrade or improve the sound of your system,
there would be no reason to do a DBT. [...]

You're suggesting above to do a comparative listening test called DBT in
order to improve the sound of the components in your system ...

I'm suggesting that if one is considering an upgrade to his system, and
wants to make sure the money being spent is for an improvement, then doing a
DBT (double blind test) is the best way to determine if there are subtle
differences.

Again, you're suggesting above to do DBT 'cause it's the best way to
determine subtle differences to ensure that the money is -- BEING
SPENT FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

[...] Nobody here has suggested that anybody needs to do one for any
buying decision, only that it's the best way to determine if there are
subtle differences between devices.

............... So here, are you still suggesting to do DBT to determine
subtle differences 'cause it's the best way to improve the sound produced
by the devices ?

No. It's the best way to determine if subtle differences exist.

You're suggesting that the audio testing methodolgy above is the best
way to determine if subtle differences exist -- FOR THE PURPOSES
TOWARD THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

How can this ABX methodology be applied by audiophiles when shopping for
unit if their intention is not to improve or alter the particular designs
or sound that the components produced ?

See above.

The only thing I'm seeing above are lamentable confusion, and shambling of
qouted text.

Then there's no reason to talk to you. Either you don't understand what's
being said, and nothing I said is complicated,

I was't referring to myself.

or you are pulling my chain.

I'm not the one doing that.

Ralph Heidecke

rec.audio.misc can be worthwhile though lately the flame wars here are being
cross posted there. There are UK.audio newsgroups as well.

RAHE can be worthwhile but it should be called rec.audio.anti-highend more
often than not discussion of sound in any compenent excepting speakers is
attacked by the predominant group of DBT audio engineer wannabes. Questions
about specific equipment are often well received however.
--
-----
remove
"John Atkinson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Carl Valle wrote:
I really don't enjoy audio rec op very much. Are there other
news groups that have similar general audio topics with less
personal attacks that you can reccomend?

R.a.h-e by definition is free from flames. For the widest-ranging
discussions, try www.audioasylum.com. Check out www.audioannexe.com
also. www.stereophile.com will shortly introduce its own discussion
forums.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Carl Valle

Carl Valle wrote:
I really don't enjoy audio rec op very much. Are there other
news groups that have similar general audio topics with less
personal attacks that you can reccomend?

R.a.h-e by definition is free from flames. For the widest-ranging
discussions, try www.audioasylum.com. Check out www.audioannexe.com
also. www.stereophile.com will shortly introduce its own discussion
forums.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

I will anxiously await stereophile forum
could be interesting
Carl

"EddieM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The things being controlled is the ability to see the devices being tested
and the spl levels of same.
This inusres that if there are audible differences they will be heard and
not masked by differences in SPL.

[...]

No, that's your interpretation pulled out of the air.

DBT, (double blind test) is about making it as easy as possible for someone
to HEAR differences.
Whether those differences are improvements is entirely subjective, you
either like the difference or not.
There is a strong likelyhood that there won't be any differences to hear in
which case there could be no improvement in
sound quality.

I'm suggesting that if one is considering an upgrade to his system, and
wants to make sure the money being spent is for an improvement, then
doing a DBT (double blind test) is the best way to determine if there are
subtle differences.

Again, you're suggesting above to do DBT 'cause it's the best way to
determine subtle differences to ensure that the money is -- BEING
SPENT FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

Sound quality, what else would it be for?

[...] Nobody here has suggested that anybody needs to do one for any
buying decision, only that it's the best way to determine if there are
subtle differences between devices.

............... So here, are you still suggesting to do DBT to
determine
subtle differences 'cause it's the best way to improve the sound
produced
by the devices ?

No. It's the best way to determine if subtle differences exist.

You're suggesting that the audio testing methodolgy above is the best
way to determine if subtle differences exist -- FOR THE PURPOSES
TOWARD THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

It doesn't improve the sound quality by doing a DBT, it simply tells you if
there are any improvements at all.
If one wants to determine that a unit being considered as an upgrade, really
is an upgrade, a DBT is the best way
to discover if there are any improvements, or if they sound the same.

How can this ABX methodology be applied by audiophiles when shopping
for unit if their intention is not to improve or alter the particular
designs or sound that the components produced ?

See above.

The only thing I'm seeing above are lamentable confusion, and shambling
of
qouted text.

Then there's no reason to talk to you. Either you don't understand
what's being said, and nothing I said is complicated,

I was't referring to myself.

or you are pulling my chain.

I'm not the one doing that.

That only leaves one possible conclusion.
You simply CAN'T get it.
I'm not pulling your chain. I've done the best I could to explain what is a
relatively simple idea,
comparisons to see if there are differences and leave it to the person doing
the listening to determine if any difference is an improvement.
If there's no difference, which is usually the case, then there is no
improvement, and no real upgrade in sound.

EddieM

nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

I said how do you suppose the test could prove the absence of subtle
(nuance) sound preference that exist if we assume that your test
completely control the listener's biases when making comparison
during the test ?

The things being controlled is the ability to see the devices being tested
and the spl levels of same.
This insures that if there are audible differences they will be heard and

So what did you meant by "control bias" when you said above:

"Any comparisons that control bias and rely only on what the
listener HEARS."

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

So again, how does your propose test of hearing no differences prove

snip --------

Could it be that the above methodology is flawed if adapted and applied
to their shopping requirement because their intention is not to
improve or change the designs and sound of particular unit when
auditioning high-end components.

Agree or disagree ?

If you are not looking to upgrade or improve the sound of your system,
there would be no reason to do a DBT. [...]

You're suggesting above to do a comparative listening test called DBT in
order to improve the sound of the components in your system ...

No, that's your interpretation pulled out of the air.

Pulled out of the air ? I pulled it out from your comment when you said
that your above comparative listening are used by mfr. to improve their
products.

Are DBTs use by mfr. to improve their product lines ?

DBT, (double blind test) is about making it as easy as possible for someone
to HEAR differences.
Whether those differences are improvements is entirely subjective, you
either like the difference or not.
There is a strong likelyhood that there won't be any differences to hear in
which case there could be no improvement in sound quality.

But this is for the purpose of improving by redesigning and changing the
sound quality produced by the products of the mfr., as you said, right ?

I'm suggesting that if one is considering an upgrade to his system, and
wants to make sure the money being spent is for an improvement, then doing
a DBT (double blind test) is the best way to determine if there are subtle
differences.

Again, you're suggesting above to do DBT 'cause it's the best way to
determine subtle differences to ensure that the money is -- BEING
SPENT FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

Sound quality, what else would it be for?

Sound quality ?

But why would you suggest audiophiles do a DBT if their intention is not
to redesign or change the sound quality produced by the components
that they want to just either hear or buy ?

[...] Nobody here has suggested that anybody needs to do one for any
buying decision, only that it's the best way to determine if there are
subtle differences between devices.

............... So here, are you still suggesting to do DBT to
determine subtle differences 'cause it's the best way to improve the
sound produced by the devices ?

No. It's the best way to determine if subtle differences exist.

You're suggesting that the audio testing methodolgy above is the best
way to determine if subtle differences exist -- FOR THE PURPOSES
TOWARD THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

It doesn't improve the sound quality by doing a DBT, it simply tells you if
there are any improvements at all.
If one wants to determine that a unit being considered as an upgrade, really
is an upgrade, a DBT is the best way
to discover if there are any improvements, or if they sound the same.

So the DBTs are the best way to discover if there's necessary improvement
or if they sound the same..... for the purposes of WHAT ?

[...]

ON THE ONE HAND, you proclaim that abx/dbt are proven to be highly
effective methodology as when employed by mfrs. for the purposes of
redesigning and improving the sound quality of their product lines.
If the R&D guys detect a sound differences, and deem that the differences
greatly enhances the sound quality of their products, then there will
be room for improvement and hence, redesign their products.

AND FROM THERE, you derive that since this methodology proven itself
to be effective in detecting sound differences as when use by mfr. to
improve and enhance the quality of their products, You, therefore, affirm
that audiophiles should do the same. If they're not able to detect
differences,
or hear differences that aren't really there which they believe should really
be there, YOU CLAIM THAT THEY'RE IDIOTS FOR * HEARING THINGS*
THAT DON'T EXIST.

BUT, when the R&D guys don't hear any sound differences, or feel that
the differences aren't really there, you claim that there will be no need to
redesign and improve the sound quality of their PRODUCTS. The sound
quality is, therefore, good.

EddieM

Ralph Heidecke wrote

RAHE can be worthwhile but it should be called rec.audio.anti-highend more
often than not discussion of sound in any component excepting speakers is
attacked by the predominant group of DBT audio engineer wannabes.

Indeed so.

Questions about specific equipment are often well received however.

So is here, except that this group still has few hard-boiled Objectivist.

"EddieM" wrote in message
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

I said how do you suppose the test could prove the absence of subtle
(nuance) sound preference that exist if we assume that your test
completely control the listener's biases when making comparison
during the test ?

The things being controlled is the ability to see the devices being
tested and the spl levels of same.
This insures that if there are audible differences they will be heard and
not masked by differences in SPL.

So what did you meant by "control bias" when you said above:

"Any comparisons that control bias and rely only on what the
listener HEARS."

I meant exactly what I said, any bias that can be controlled, is dealt with.
Not being able to see which device is in use and having the spl matched,
leaving only your ears
to determine any difference.

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

So again, how does your propose test of hearing no differences prove
the absence of subtle sound preferences that physically exist ?

It's not a test of hearing no difference, it's a comparison to see if
difference exists.
It allows the person doing the comparison to determine if there is a
difference that he/she can hear.

Why are anti-abx idiots ?

For rejecting the methodology, and the findings. They are so
convinced that the differences are real that even when they try an
ABX comparison, and fail to detect them, they claim the test is
faulty.

snip --------

If you are not looking to upgrade or improve the sound of your
system, there would be no reason to do a DBT. [...]

You're suggesting above to do a comparative listening test called DBT
in
order to improve the sound of the components in your system ...

No, that's your interpretation pulled out of the air.

Pulled out of the air ? I pulled it out from your comment when you said
that your above comparative listening are used by mfr. to improve their
products.

Are DBTs use by mfr. to improve their product lines ?

Yes, by some, possibly more than we know

DBT, (double blind test) is about making it as easy as possible for
someone to HEAR differences.
Whether those differences are improvements is entirely subjective, you
either like the difference or not.
There is a strong likelyhood that there won't be any differences to hear
in which case there could be no improvement in sound quality.

But this is for the purpose of improving by redesigning and changing the
sound quality produced by the products of the mfr., as you said, right ?

Yes.

I'm suggesting that if one is considering an upgrade to his system, and
wants to make sure the money being spent is for an improvement, then
doing a DBT (double blind test) is the best way to determine if there
are subtle differences.

Again, you're suggesting above to do DBT 'cause it's the best way to
determine subtle differences to ensure that the money is -- BEING
SPENT FOR THE IMPROVEMENT OF WHAT ?

Sound quality, what else would it be for?

Sound quality ?

But why would you suggest audiophiles do a DBT if their intention is not
to redesign or change the sound quality produced by the components
that they want to just either hear or buy ?

I have never suggested any such thing, in fact I have repeatedly stated that
if one is not looking for improvement
there is no reason to do a DBT.

[...] Nobody here has suggested that anybody needs to do one for any
buying decision, only that it's the best way to determine if there
are subtle differences between devices.

............... So here, are you still suggesting to do DBT to
determine subtle differences 'cause it's the best way to improve the
sound produced by the devices ?

No. It's the best way to determine if subtle differences exist.

It doesn't improve the sound quality by doing a DBT, it simply tells you
if there are any improvements at all.
If one wants to determine that a unit being considered as an upgrade,
really is an upgrade, a DBT is the best way
to discover if there are any improvements, or if they sound the same.

So the DBTs are the best way to discover if there's necessary improvement
or if they sound the same..... for the purposes of WHAT ?

How many ****ing times do I need to say the same thing.
If you want to determine if there's ANY DIFFERENCE between two devices, then
a DBT is the best way to do it.
Of course it's possible, that there is a difference that is not an
improvement, which is something else one would want to know.

[...]

If they want to know if there's a difference in sound quality.

If they're not able to detect
differences,
or hear differences that aren't really there which they believe should
really
be there, YOU CLAIM THAT THEY'RE IDIOTS FOR * HEARING THINGS*
THAT DON'T EXIST.

I have not said any such thing. I have said that people who claim to hear
differences during sighted comparisons should do a dbt
to make sure what they hear is real, because most of time the differences
are the result of wishful thinking and not of any actual difference.

BUT, when the R&D guys don't hear any sound differences, or feel that
the differences aren't really there, you claim that there will be no need
redesign and improve the sound quality of their PRODUCTS. The sound
quality is, therefore, good.

Never said that either. R&D guys hopefully, are starting from the premise
that they already had a good product, and are investigating the possibility
that there are improvements to be made, and therefore they compare to see if
any changes they made are audible. Sometimes they do DBT's to see if
changes they made to save money, made any difference.

Because audio electronics has been capable for many years of making
equipment that makes no audible difference to the original signal, theres'
not a lot of testing for improvement, mostly it's to check for degradation
due to proposed cost cutting design.

George M. Middius

paul packer said:

Do you agree that Richard Malesweski of Rogers, Arkansas,
who posts as torresists when he's not posting forgeries, is a very good
example of what is wrong with RAO? Or do you think he's a very
good example of the lowest scum of RAO?

Is there a prize if I choose correctly?

Maybe you didn't realize it, but when you gave up apologizing for Krooger,
your esteem increased dramatically in many people's eyes.

RAO is not much like the other newsgroups, though, so that may not matter
to you.

EddieM

nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

I said how do you suppose the test could prove the absence of subtle
(nuance) sound preference that exist if we assume that your test
completely control the listener's biases when making comparison
during the test ?

The things being controlled is the ability to see the devices being tested
and the spl levels of same.
This insures that if there are audible differences they will be heard and
not masked by differences in SPL.

So what did you meant by "control bias" when you said above:

"Any comparisons that control bias and rely only on what the
listener HEARS."

I meant exactly what I said, any bias that can be controlled, is dealt with.
Not being able to see which device is in use and having the spl matched,
leaving only your ears to determine any difference.

So you are not able to control the biases that some people have. Such as
those audiophiles who prefer the sound and fond of listening to the
warm-sounding tone produce by tube components.

By your admission, the only biases controlled by your test are those that the
testee can't see as well as the differences in the level of sound intensity
(SPL) which are eliminated as a result of level-matching.

And that's why I said earlier that:

"A result of hearing no differences under your condition above
will not prove the absence of subtle sound preferences that
physically exist."

Again, allow me to ask if I may:

How does your test "completely" control the listener's biases when making
comparison during the test ?

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

So again, how does your propose test of hearing no differences prove
the absence of subtle sound preferences that physically exist ?

It's not a test of hearing no difference, it's a comparison to see if
difference exists.
It allows the person doing the comparison to determine if there is a
difference that he/she can hear.

As you can tell by now, it is not a dispute whether it is about a test of
hearing no difference.

[...]

The subtle differences in sound that audiophiles hear, if detected, between
components during the DBT will not necessarily lead them to the sound
they prefer.

[...]

That's null.

[...]

Liar.

You said:

" ... When audiophiles make claims that defy reason and logic, yes
I expect they offer some sort of proof, since it is known that people
can make themselves believe they hear things that aren't really there."

BUT, when the R&D guys don't hear any sound differences, or feel that
the differences aren't really there, you claim that there will be no need
to redesign and improve the sound quality of their PRODUCTS. The sound
quality is, therefore, good.

( I wasn't saying these were you're exact words.)

Never said that either. R&D guys hopefully, are starting from the premise
that they already had a good product, and are investigating the possibility
that there are improvements to be made, and therefore they compare to see if
any changes they made are audible. Sometimes they do DBT's to see if
changes they made to save money, made any difference.

Because audio electronics has been capable for many years of making
equipment that makes no audible difference to the original signal, theres'
not a lot of testing for improvement, mostly it's to check for degradation
due to proposed cost cutting design.

But why is it that when audiophiles claim to hear sound difference between
audio gear but fail to hear those differences during ABX/DBT, they're
accused of defying reason and logic who can make themselves believe
to hear things --- BUT not for the R&D guys ?

EddieM

paul packer wrote
Carl Valle said to Art Sackman:

snipped

I did not see any sarcasm in your comments. What I did see was pointless,
nasty, name calling on your part, for no reason other than a dropped
letter.
I notice that the error did not keep you from reading the post. You have
however, to this time, not posted anything useful.
Indeed you are providing a very good example of what is, in my opinion,
the
major thing wrong with RAO.
You have yet to post anything OT and have resorted to name calling. You
are
indeed very clever.

Hmmm...tend to agree on this occasion.

How can you talk about equipment and then be labeled
as a tube and vinyl bigot.

"EddieM" wrote in message
. ..

nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

[...]

What bias are you worried about?

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

I would assume that a person doing a DBT for the pupose of an upgrade would
be comparing things that he has a natural prefernce for. A tube lover would
be comparing other tubed gear for example.

So again, how does your proposed test of hearing no differences prove
[...]

It will tell them if there is a differnce they can hear, it is up to them to
decide if the differences are what they prefer. Knowing there is a
difference, is a piece of information they wouldn't have otherwise.

[...]

I said they frequently use them to see if design changes have made a
differnce.
I doubt that there is much impovement in sound quality going on in conumer
audio, there might be in other areas like cel phones and hearing aids.

If the R&D guys detect a sound differences, and deem that the
differences
greatly enhances the sound quality of their products, then there will
be room for improvement and hence, redesign their products.

AND FROM THERE, you derive that since this methodology proven itself
to be effective in detecting sound differences as when use by mfr. to
improve and enhance the quality of their products, You, therefore,
affirm
that audiophiles should do the same.

Only if there is a question of a new device sounding better or worse than an
existing piece of equipment.

If they want to know if there's a difference in sound quality.

If they're not able to detect differences, or hear differences that
aren't really there which they believe should really be there, YOU
CLAIM THAT THEY'RE IDIOTS FOR * HEARING THINGS* THAT DON'T EXIST.

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a ABX is
recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences and that
people who deny this fact are idiots.

You said:

" ... When audiophiles make claims that defy reason and logic, yes
I expect they offer some sort of proof, since it is known that people
can make themselves believe they hear things that aren't really
there."

Where is the word idiot?

BUT, when the R&D guys don't hear any sound differences, or feel that
the differences aren't really there, you claim that there will be no
need to redesign and improve the sound quality of their PRODUCTS. The
sound quality is, therefore, good.

( I wasn't saying these were you're exact words.)

Of course not, you prefer to make it up.

[...]

Where did I say that?

I said that hearing differences in a sighted evalution are essentially
meaningless, unless they are big differences that wouldn't require a DBT.
Those kinds of differences would easily show up in measurements. The ones
that are subtle are the ones that a DBT would be useful for. I also said
that is the denial of the efficacy of ABX that makes idots out people.

Thanks for once again proving you don't know what you're talking about.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a ABX
is recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences and that
people who deny this fact are idiots.

I recognize that most people recognize that you are recognized as an idiot.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a ABX
is recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences and
that people who deny this fact are idiots.

I recognize that most people recognize that you are recognized as an
idiot.

Thank you for the idiot perspective.

You ever talk about audio?

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a ABX
is recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences and
that people who deny this fact are idiots.

I recognize that most people recognize that you are recognized as an
idiot.

Thank you for the idiot perspective.

\
too bad that you are too dense to recognize your poor writing skills.

George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

too bad that you are too dense to recognize your poor writing skills.

What do you mean? Is Mickey denser than a petrified Kroo-turd?

Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

Clyde Slick said:

too bad that you are too dense to recognize your poor writing skills.

What do you mean? Is Mickey denser than a petrified Kroo-turd?

No, Mikey is probably a floater.

paul packer

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:22:43 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr

paul packer said:

Do you agree that Richard Malesweski of Rogers, Arkansas,
who posts as torresists when he's not posting forgeries, is a very good
example of what is wrong with RAO? Or do you think he's a very
good example of the lowest scum of RAO?

Is there a prize if I choose correctly?

Maybe you didn't realize it, but when you gave up apologizing for Krooger,
your esteem increased dramatically in many people's eyes.

RAO is not much like the other newsgroups, though, so that may not matter
to you.

Please explain that last sentence, George.
George M. Middius

paul packer said:

Do you agree that Richard Malesweski of Rogers, Arkansas,
who posts as torresists when he's not posting forgeries, is a very good
example of what is wrong with RAO? Or do you think he's a very
good example of the lowest scum of RAO?

Is there a prize if I choose correctly?

Maybe you didn't realize it, but when you gave up apologizing for Krooger,
your esteem increased dramatically in many people's eyes.

RAO is not much like the other newsgroups, though, so that may not matter
to you.

Please explain that last sentence, George.

RAO is a ... uh... well, it's something. Long-term group therapy, maybe.
Some of us have strong likes and dislikes about other posters. (More
dislikes than likes.)

paul packer

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:27:20 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr

paul packer said:

Do you agree that Richard Malesweski of Rogers, Arkansas,
who posts as torresists when he's not posting forgeries, is a very good
example of what is wrong with RAO? Or do you think he's a very
good example of the lowest scum of RAO?

Is there a prize if I choose correctly?

Maybe you didn't realize it, but when you gave up apologizing for Krooger,
your esteem increased dramatically in many people's eyes.

RAO is not much like the other newsgroups, though, so that may not matter
to you.

Please explain that last sentence, George.

RAO is a ... uh... well, it's something. Long-term group therapy, maybe.
Some of us have strong likes and dislikes about other posters. (More
dislikes than likes.)

No, I understand the difference between RAO and other NGs. What I
meant was, why would the extreme nature of RAO be a reason I didn't
care what other posters thought of me?

Incidentally, I would take issue that I was ever an Arnie apologist. I
tried to appraise him fairly, despite the hysteria he aroused. I still
feel no malice toward him, as I've said elsewhere, maybe because it's
so obvious he suffers from one of those personality disorders that
denies him any kind of real self-appraisal, and thus self doubt, which
is genuinely sad. (I think it was Peter Ustinov who said that the
inability to have a doubt was a sure sign of madness).

Also, I would hope that my esteem here would be in proportion to the
relevance and/or usefulness of my posts rather than whether I did or
didn't support Arnie. But maybe that's being a bit idealistic. As you
said, RAO is not like other NGs.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a
ABX is recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences
and that people who deny this fact are idiots.

I recognize that most people recognize that you are recognized as an
idiot.

Thank you for the idiot perspective.

\
too bad that you are too dense to recognize your poor writing skills.

And you sometimes post responses without actually responding, sometimes 2 or
3 times in a row. You always have the option of ignoring me.

George M. Middius

paul packer said:

RAO is not much like the other newsgroups, though, so that may not matter
to you.

Please explain that last sentence, George.

RAO is a ... uh... well, it's something. Long-term group therapy, maybe.
Some of us have strong likes and dislikes about other posters. (More
dislikes than likes.)

No, I understand the difference between RAO and other NGs. What I
meant was, why would the extreme nature of RAO be a reason I didn't
care what other posters thought of me?

Well, I guess because we behave like a bunch of children a lot of the
time. IOW, we're not on our best behavior, so if you play here, there's a
presumption you want to do likewise. And if so, that implies you don't
care how others perceive your RAO persona, since some of us will hate it
(e.g., in your case, the Krooborg).

Incidentally, I would take issue that I was ever an Arnie apologist. I
tried to appraise him fairly, despite the hysteria he aroused.

On RAO, that is the definition of Kroopologism. There can be no middle
ground regarding Arnii Krooger. If you don't feel that way yet, you will
in time.

I still feel no malice toward him, as I've said elsewhere, maybe because it's
so obvious he suffers from one of those personality disorders that
denies him any kind of real self-appraisal, and thus self doubt, which
is genuinely sad. (I think it was Peter Ustinov who said that the
inability to have a doubt was a sure sign of madness).

Good on you for rising above the playground level. Personally, my pity for
the Beast was washed away long ago by the tidal waves of snot.

Also, I would hope that my esteem here would be in proportion to the
relevance and/or usefulness of my posts rather than whether I did or
didn't support Arnie. But maybe that's being a bit idealistic. As you
said, RAO is not like other NGs.

I'm sure some people care primarily about your contributions about audio
on RAO. G

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nope, never said that. I said the people who don't recognize that a
ABX is recognized to be an effective tool for determining differences
and that people who deny this fact are idiots.

I recognize that most people recognize that you are recognized as an
idiot.

Thank you for the idiot perspective.

\
too bad that you are too dense to recognize your poor writing skills.

And you sometimes post responses without actually responding, sometimes 2
or 3 times in a row. You always have the option of ignoring me.

That's just a sticky mouse!
Ah, it got me again.

paul packer

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:27:17 -0400, George M. Middius cmndr
[underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote:

Well, I guess because we behave like a bunch of children a lot of the
time. IOW, we're not on our best behavior, so if you play here, there's a
presumption you want to do likewise. And if so, that implies you don't
care how others perceive your RAO persona, since some of us will hate it
(e.g., in your case, the Krooborg).

Well, I'll always be me, for what that's worth, even here, and as you
say that will please some more than others. But I come here purely for
recreation, which is why I'm not much interested in political and/or
technical threads. And if I misbehave, it's bound to be pretty mild
because I'm not a natural misbehavor. Just a bit of repartee does me.
(Hey, I rhymed!)

Incidentally, I would take issue that I was ever an Arnie apologist. I
tried to appraise him fairly, despite the hysteria he aroused.

On RAO, that is the definition of Kroopologism. There can be no middle
ground regarding Arnii Krooger. If you don't feel that way yet, you will
in time.

Yipes!

I still feel no malice toward him, as I've said elsewhere, maybe because it's
so obvious he suffers from one of those personality disorders that
denies him any kind of real self-appraisal, and thus self doubt, which
is genuinely sad. (I think it was Peter Ustinov who said that the
inability to have a doubt was a sure sign of madness).

Good on you for rising above the playground level. Personally, my pity for
the Beast was washed away long ago by the tidal waves of snot.

I'm relieved you can still discuss Arnie relatively dispassionately,
George. That ability isn't always apparent from your posts. But maybe
if you regard Arnie from the point of view suggested by Mr. Ustinov,
you can find a little pity still.

(I believe the exact quote was: "For what more certain sign of madness
can there be than the inability to have a doubt?").

Also, I would hope that my esteem here would be in proportion to the
relevance and/or usefulness of my posts rather than whether I did or
didn't support Arnie. But maybe that's being a bit idealistic. As you
said, RAO is not like other NGs.

I'm sure some people care primarily about your contributions about audio
on RAO. G

I'm sure you're being too kind. ;-)

George M. Middius

paul packer said:

Good on you for rising above the playground level. Personally, my pity for
the Beast was washed away long ago by the tidal waves of snot.

I'm relieved you can still discuss Arnie relatively dispassionately,
George. That ability isn't always apparent from your posts. But maybe
if you regard Arnie from the point of view suggested by Mr. Ustinov,
you can find a little pity still.

The answer to your question about why your philosophical comments were
"insults" to Mr. **** lies in that very area. Kroo**** persists in a
delusion that he is all-knowing and, I believe, perfect. At least as far
as what he calls "the debating trade". Thus your suggestion that some part
of what he said might be imperfect is an "insult".

They don't call it borganoia for nothing.

EddieM

nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob wrote
EddieM wrote
nyob123 wrote

snip

[...]

Personal preferences.

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

I would assume that a person doing a DBT for the pupose of an upgrade would
be comparing things that he has a natural prefernce for. A tube lover would
be comparing other tubed gear for example.

Are you saying now that it is OK to have a little bit of prefernce during
ABX/DBT
test. That it is now OK to have specific biases as an example of being
a bit charmed and enchanted by the sound produce by tube components for
as long as the other components under test meet the same specified criterion
that meet your biases.

Can you describe a bit more about this protocol ?

[...]

Yes but unfortunately, again, you misdirect the results you obtain.

When you are comparing two components and ending up prefering
one, on what basis were you comparing them during the test?

Remember that it cannot be base on SPL and preferences.

[...]

in consumer audio, there might be in other areas like cel phones and hearing
aids.

If the R&D guys detect a sound differences, and deem that the differences
greatly enhances the sound quality of their products, then there will be
room for improvement and hence, redesign their products.

AND FROM THERE, you derive that since this methodology proven titself o

You said:

[...]

You are a piece of work.

"EddieM" wrote in message

So you are not able to control the biases that some people have. Such
as
those audiophiles who prefer the sound and fond of listening to the
warm-sounding tone produce by tube components.

I think many people doing a DBT of tubed vs. SS would be suprised at how
similar they sound when not driven to clipping.

By your admission, the only biases controlled by your test are those
that the testee can't see as well as the differences in the level of
sound intensity (SPL) which are eliminated as a result of
level-matching.

Which is usually sufficient.

And that's why I said earlier that:

"A result of hearing no differences under your condition above
will not prove the absence of subtle sound preferences that
physically exist."

It proves that for the person taking the test there was no difference.

Again, allow me to ask if I may:

How does your test "completely" control the listener's biases when
making
comparison during the test ?

What bias are you worried about?

Personal preferences.

When a person doesn't know what device he's listening to such "preferences
tend to disappear, but even if they don't, why would a person be comparing
thigns that they tend not to prefer?

Does this test you were talkin about no longer include eliminating the
listener's biases e.g. personal preferences?

I would assume that a person doing a DBT for the pupose of an upgrade
would be comparing things that he has a natural prefernce for. A tube
lover would be comparing other tubed gear for example.

Are you saying now that it is OK to have a little bit of prefernce during
ABX/DBT
test. That it is now OK to have specific biases as an example of being
a bit charmed and enchanted by the sound produce by tube components for
as long as the other components under test meet the same specified
criterion
that meet your biases.

I'm saying that the main biases being controlled are visual and spl.

Can you describe a bit more about this protocol ?

Check the PCABX web site.

[...]

?

Yes.

[...]

No the unfortuante thing is that I've spent this much time with an idiot.

When you are comparing two components and ending up prefering
one, on what basis were you comparing them during the test?

Remember that it cannot be base on SPL and preferences.

Ask the person who made that choice.

[...]

on in consumer audio, there might be in other areas like cel phones and
hearing aids.

You said:

[...]

And you're an idiot.