Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default removing print-through echo on cassette voice recording?

I have an old cassette spoken voice that I was asked put on CD. It has
a bad echo that is not room echo, but rather print through from one
tape layer to another. Are there computer editing tricks or software to
supress or at least reduce this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

wrote:
I have an old cassette spoken voice that I was asked put on CD. It has
a bad echo that is not room echo, but rather print through from one
tape layer to another. Are there computer editing tricks or software to
supress or at least reduce this?

No, this is the result of the head alignment on the original machine not
being correct. You need a playback machine with adjustable head height
and azimuth. The head height _is_ a big deal in this case.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
will

Don't know if this would work very satisfactorily, but there is one
thing you might try after you've transferred the program to your
DAW: reverse the signal - play it backwards - and apply the gate
that way, since the print-through occurs after the original signal
you may be able to remove some of it. Of course, there would
be some trial and error as to the proper setting of the gate. I'd
try a small section first and see what results you get. Could prove
interesting.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

will wrote:
Don't know if this would work very satisfactorily, but there is one
thing you might try after you've transferred the program to your
DAW: reverse the signal - play it backwards - and apply the gate
that way, since the print-through occurs after the original signal
you may be able to remove some of it. Of course, there would
be some trial and error as to the proper setting of the gate. I'd
try a small section first and see what results you get. Could prove
interesting.

Maybe, except the OTHER side will also have similar leakage issues too.

Just to the transcription job properly in the first place and you won't
have to worry about cheesy fixes after the fact.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham

wrote:

I have an old cassette spoken voice that I was asked put on CD. It has
a bad echo that is not room echo, but rather print through from one
tape layer to another. Are there computer editing tricks or software to
supress or at least reduce this?

On some specially modified tape recorders in the 1950s there was a way
of switching very low erase current to the erase head during playback,
to get rid of print-through.

The theory was that part of the mixture in the magnetic tape coating was
much easier to magnetise than the majority of the mix, this was the bit
that picked up print-through from adjacent layers. It was also the most
easily erased, so a low erase current would remove the print-through
without significantly affecting the wanted recording.

It sounds like a high-risk strategy and I don't know of any machines
that have been modified for it since the EMI BTR2. I assume it must
have really worked because the BBC claimed to have used it.

I have no idea whether it still applies to cassette tapes

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk