John Poindexter

Default Recording & Ethnicity

Are there any surveys showing the division of racial/ethnic
backgrounds of people involved in music production (US and/or Europe)?
Any studies which show the extent to which this may be affected by
third world immigration? Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between the
musical traditions of various cultures? How many studio owners are
Jewish? Is Paul Rothschild related to the banking family of the same
name?
Just wondering...
Paul Stamler

"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...

This sounds like a possibly racist troll, but I'll give the poster the
benefit of the doubt and answer the questions straight.

Are there any surveys showing the division of racial/ethnic
backgrounds of people involved in music production (US and/or Europe)?

Not to my knowledge.

Any studies which show the extent to which this may be affected by
third world immigration?

Ditto.

Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between the
musical traditions of various cultures?

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no scientific
foundation. People of different ethnicities (within or not within the same
"race"), though, may well perceive sound differently; it's been shown, for
example, that people who are raised speaking tonal languages like Chinese
are much more likely to have perfect pitch than people who speak non-tonal
languages. It's not a genetic thing, though; the same study, I believe,
found that Chinese-Americans raised in English-speaking households are no
more likely to have perfect pitch than Anglo-Americans.

Apparently what happens is that humans are born with many more neural
circuits than we'll ever use. Some of them become activated during the
language-learning process; the ones that aren't are eventually destroyed,
presumably to make room for other mental capabilities that will come later
in life. This is generally considered to be the explanation of why languages
learned later in life are never learned as well as languages learned during
early childhood; your brain doesn't have the capacities it used to. The old
adage "Use it or lose it" is apparently exactly the way the brain works
during the first decade of life.

Back to the musical question: I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out
that the same holds true for people raised in different musical traditions;
you soak the stuff in during your first few years, and that shapes the way
your brain perceives music. So it wouldn't surprise me to learn that, for
example, African-Americans hear music quite differently from
Anglo-Americans, because they experienced different early musical sensations
from each other. (Or at least they used to, before our musical culture
became more homogenized.) However, I'd expect African-Americans to also hear
music differently from Africans raised in Africa, for the same reason,
making it not a factor of "race" (since they share common ancestry). A kid
in a Senegalese village is raised in a very different sonic environment than
his cousin in Harlem.

How many studio owners are
Jewish?

Well, there's also the problem of defining what a "studio owner" is, given
the number of project studios in basements and garages which are only used
by the owner. But I'll define the term as meaning the owner of a studio
which is hired out. How many owners are Jewish? Not as many,
percentage-wise, as used to be. For complicated sociological reasons (along
with a good dollop of happenstance, followed by old-boy networking), a large
number of Eastern European Jews became involved in show business, beginning
in the late 19th century with legitimate theatre, artistic management,
vaudeville and songwriting (the Irving Berlin generation). When the
phonograph industry opened up, not surprisingly a lot of the people from
theatre, music and vaudeville migrated into the new medium, and a lot of
them were Jewish, beginning with Emile Berliner, who invented the disc
phonograph and founded what became the Victor company. Ditto the motion
picture industry; there's a fascinating book on how the movies that helped
create the image of Middle American culture were all made by Eastern
European Jewish immigrants like the Warner Bros., Louis B. Mayer, Sam
Goldwyn, et al. Ditto radio, thanks to David Sarnoff and the same folks
migrating from theatre and the music business; ditto television, which
developed out of radio.

This all began to fade, at least in the record industry, sometime in the
1960s and 1970s, when new people moved into the business. Unlike earlier
generations, they came from multiple ethnic groups (although not a lot of
Asians, at least until Sony bought Columbia a couple of decades later); by
now, most of the generation of cigar-chomping Jewish show-biz types has
passed into retirement or the beyond, leaving little ethnic legacy behind
except a few Yiddish slang words in the industry jargon. (See the
caricatured Scandinavian TV producer in "A Mighty Wind", who laces his words
with Yiddish to show he "belongs". Reminded me of an African-American guy I
was on a TV crew with, who always muttered "Oy vey iz mir" whenever the
videotape recorder screwed up.) Without for a moment minimizing the
contribution of African-Americans to American music, these are the guys who
gave us Tin Pan Alley *and* (to at least some extent) helped create the
rock'n'roll which displaced it, and I'll always have a certain affection for
them.

Is Paul Rothschild related to the banking family of the same
name?
Just wondering...

That, I don't know. Anybody know what Paul Rothschild's doing these days?

Peace,
Paul

Bob Olhsson

"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...
Are there any surveys showing the division of racial/ethnic
backgrounds of people involved in music production (US and/or Europe)?

Not that I'm aware of.

Prior to the Beatles, entertainment was one of very few potentially decent
paying professions that was open to the lower class or to racial and
religious minorities in the United States.

The Beatles were the first popular music that was marketed as fashion and it
made being a musician, engineer or producer fashionable for the very first
time.

This really changed everything.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Harvey Gerst

"Paul Stamler" wrote:

That, I don't know. Anybody know what Paul Rothschild's doing these days?

Paul Rothschild isn't doing much of anything, since he died a while back.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Andre Majorel

On 2004-08-26, John Poindexter wrote:

Do different races perceive sound differently, and if so, could this
account for differences between the musical traditions of various
cultures?

Probably not, but your native language affects the way you
listen in a major way. The spectra vary widely from language to
language and people tend to listen to the frequencies that their
language uses, and use them in them music.

To my ears, English-speaking people tend to make music with more
highs (wide bump around 6 kHz) than anyone else. French-speaking
people use more mids (around 800 Hz). Italian-speaking people
use more hi-mids (around 2.5 kHz). (All frequencies "au jugé", I
don't carry a spectrometre with me). The differences are
probably less noticeable these days because everybody in pop
music is trying to sound like the Anglo-Saxons.

On top of that, there are considerable variations between
individuals.

--
André Majorel URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
"See daddy ? All the keys are in alphabetical order now."
dt king

"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...

Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between the
musical traditions of various cultures?

Accounting for differences in musical traditions in various cultures seem a
bit like explaining why all fish are wet. I do think it's easier to hear
rhythms and harmonies you grew up with, but you can become accustomed to
other musical forms with exposure.

dtk

Paul Stamler wrote:
"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...

snip

Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between

the
musical traditions of various cultures?

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no

scientific
foundation.

How would you express the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if they're not racial differences?
I'm contemplating the rest of your long and thoughtful reply.

TarBabyTunes

Is Paul Rothschild related to the banking family of the same name?

I asked Paul Rothschild that very question when he was still alive. The

answer
was no, he was not related to the Rothschild banking family.

I didn't figure he'd be working as a record producer if he was an heir
to the biggest fortune on the planet. Then again, these types of
families get their occasional rebels. Thought that he might've
rebelled and been disowned or something.

Rebellion or not, lots of talented folks find working to be beneficial, no
matter what their available financial resources.

stv
Paul Stamler

wrote in message

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no

scientific
foundation.

How would you express the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if they're not racial differences?

That's a question which requires a book to answer. To boil it down to a
massively-oversimplified nutshell, you can divvy up the human race all kinds
of ways, and the problem is, you don't get the same groups by the different
ways. For example, you can divvy by skin color, or by blood type prevalence,
but then you discover that groups with very different skin colors have
similar blood type prevalences, or people with similar skin colors have very
different blood group prevalences. Ditto things like skeletal proportions
("Negroes", for example, include both Pygmies and those long, skinny guys
from Kenya who've been doing so well in the Olympic track & field events),
genetic markers, ability to digest lactose, etc.. There are a few clusters
of characters that usually go together, but a lot more that go their own way
separately. And if you start doing the sorting by genetic markers, which is
a lot more valid than external characteristics, you discover a remarkable
mishmosh.

May I recommend, as one good starting point, "Genes, People and Languages"
by Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza? There are lots of other good looks at the
subject of human ethnicity, but that's a good (and enjoyable, and
well-written) popular entry-point.

Peace,
Paul

John Poindexter

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...

This sounds like a possibly racist troll, but I'll give the poster the
benefit of the doubt and answer the questions straight.

Are there any surveys showing the division of racial/ethnic
backgrounds of people involved in music production (US and/or Europe)?

Not to my knowledge.

Any studies which show the extent to which this may be affected by
third world immigration?

Ditto.

Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between the
musical traditions of various cultures?

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no scientific
foundation.

How do you account for the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if not in terms of race?

[...]

In a nutshell, you seem to favor the "nurture over nature" school of
thought over the "nature over nurture" one. Everyone is born a blank
slate and "who we are" is largely shaped by our experiences and
environment, rather than being programmed in our genes. You make a
strong case for this, but is there any evidence to the contrary? For
instance, a number of studies suggest that intelligence (as measured
by IQ scores) is more inherited, than aquired. If that's so, how can
we rule out the possibility that musical perception is to some extent
passed on in the genes?

[...]

Is that the book called "An Empire Of Their Own"? I've always heard
that Walt Disney, being one of the few gentiles in Hollywood at the
time, always had a tough time staying afloat in that industry.

[...]

Logan Shaw

John Poindexter wrote:

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no scientific
foundation.

How do you account for the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if not in terms of race?

It's not that there aren't populations with common traits.

However, these things are SO loose it's virtually impossible to understand
how you could properly define them in an objective manner so that it's
possible to tell which "race" someone is a member of. For instance,
I've met "black" people whose skin is pretty light in color and
some "white" people whose skin is pretty dark. In fact, the variation
in skin tone can be so great that some "black" people lighter skin
than some "white" ones.

So, it can't be just skin color. But if it's not skin color, then what
is it? Is it the country they're from? What if you're comparing two
people whose relatives have all been in the same country for generations?
And what about the fact that all their ancestors over in the other
country all came from various places outside the country as well?

Even if you can actually come up with a standard to judge which race
someone is part of, then how can you justify that the groups you've
defined are the only right ones? Why not split the human race up by
eye color instead?

And then another difficulty: now that intermarriage between races
is no longer taboo in most places, we are mixing up the gene pool.
There will be (and in fact already are plenty of) people who don't
fit into any category. There are hundreds (or probably thousands
or even millions) of different traits that a human can have, and
soon we will have more and more different combinations than we have
previously had. Well, in a sense this has already happened because
there has always been interbreeding between difference races.

The bottom line is, to me, race only makes sense if you view it as
a social phenomenon. You have two different groups of people with
their own interests, and they interact. So, there is a need to
label people in some way so you can tell whether they're part of
your group or the other group. Physical features are the most
obvious way and most convenient way to achieve this social objective,
so whatever combination of traits that is most different between
the two groups becomes the basis for the definitions of "race"
that are formulated and applied in the given situation. But
here is the real question: if you have such a situation, and
it's ambiguous, physically, whether an individual is a member
of one race or the other, what is the tie breaker? It's what
group he's affiliated with. This belies the fact that race is
really all about an easy way to identify ethnic groups. (Ethnic
groups are groups that share a culture, or a segment of a culture.
They probably share physical traits, but they also share a language,
often a religion, social norms, rituals, traditions, etc.) Race
is a way to keep some distance between one culture and another.
In a way, it's a defense mechanism, because if you allow people
from your culture to mix with those from another, it's going to
cause your culture to change, and you might not want it to change.

So anyway, from a scientific point of view, race as a way of
understanding physical traits might have some correlation with
reality, but it's pretty laughable. And, also from a scientific
(or at least academic) point of view, there is pretty clear evidence
that race is all about cultures clashing.

At least that's what I think people mean when they say that "race"
doesn't make sense scientifically.

- Logan
Paul Stamler

"John Poindexter" wrote in message
om...

In a nutshell, you seem to favor the "nurture over nature" school of
thought over the "nature over nurture" one. Everyone is born a blank
slate and "who we are" is largely shaped by our experiences and
environment, rather than being programmed in our genes. You make a
strong case for this, but is there any evidence to the contrary? For
instance, a number of studies suggest that intelligence (as measured
by IQ scores) is more inherited, than aquired. If that's so, how can
we rule out the possibility that musical perception is to some extent
passed on in the genes?

We can't rule it out completely. And I don't necessarily favor the "nurture
over nature" school on every human characteristic; that would be reductive
and nonsensical, just as "nature over nurture" on everything is. But in the
particular case of musical perception, well, the mechanism of extirpation of
neural paths is well-established; there's no question that it does happen.
And the study of prevalence of perfect pitch among certain linguistic
groups, and the lack of same in groups of identical ancestry with a
different (non-tonal) linguistic background, provides at least a strong hint
that environment is important in this regard. Not conclusive by any means,
and many characteristics involve a mix of environment and heredity. But it's
an important data point.

Is that the book called "An Empire Of Their Own"? I've always heard
that Walt Disney, being one of the few gentiles in Hollywood at the
time, always had a tough time staying afloat in that industry.

He seems to have done pretty well. That book may be the one I'm remembering;
I should probably head for the library and check it out to see. (Checking
out Amazon -- yes, that's the one. "Entertaining America" looks like fun
too, but perhaps not as much an in-depth study. And both books are primarily
about Hollywood, theatre and broadcasting rather than the music industry per
se. That book apparently remains to be written.)

Peace,
Paul

John Poindexter

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...
wrote in message
taxa trigona

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no

scientific
foundation.

How would you express the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if they're not racial differences?

That's a question which requires a book to answer. To boil it down to a
massively-oversimplified nutshell, you can divvy up the human race all kinds

If humans are a race, then a race of what species?

[...]

Paul,
I call an orange an orange, a banana a banana, and a pear a pear.
True, they are all fruit, which are in turn all part of the plant
kingdom, and all plants are ultimately composed of atoms like
everything else in the material world. And true, there are many
different types of pears, bananas, and oranges. But this doesn't
change the fact that pears, oranges, and bananas each taste, look,
smell, and feel sufficiently different from each other that we are
able to classify them. If we didn't classify things, it would be
impossible to talk about them, and refusing to do so defeats the whole
purpose of language.

It's to be expected that some individuals will develop a preference
for one type of fruit over another, or may even avoid certain types
altogether; if we all had the same tastes, we'd all be the same and
the world would be a boring place. Some people may feel an instinctual
distrust towards fruit to which they are not accustomed; perhaps not
very adventurous of them, but such a reaction is not unnatural,
either. Some may even reach the conclusion, whether mistaken or not,
that the various types of fruit are not only -different-, but that
some are actually -inferior- to others. Strictly speaking, however,
saying something is "different" is not synonymous with calling it
"inferior". The act of classifying things doesn't automatically entail
a value judgement, and taking note of differences is not in itself an
act of malice. Calling an orange an orange is a -descriptive- act,
nothing more. It may carry a value judgement or it may not. And
refusing to take note of the differences between a banana and an
orange does not mean those differences don't exist.

I myself, despite having preferences and an allergy to oranges, enjoy
a wide variety of fruit. In fact, the world of fruit would be bland
indeed if all were of the same type. And that's the problem I have
with the utopian vision of "one world, one people" - I do not believe
that it is possible to unite into "one world" without first destroying
the differences which are the very source of human diversity. As long
as we have diversity, we will have differences, and as long as we have
differences, clashes will ensue. Who's to say it wasn't meant to be
this way?

Is it possible that you dislike the notion of race, not because races
don't exist, but because acknowledging them conflicts with your chosen
ideology?

Cheers,
John

(Thanks for the book suggestion, BTW).

William Sommerwerck

How would you express the obvious physical differences between say,
a caucasian, an asian, and a negro -- if they're not racial differences?

This is a circular definition.

The concept of "race" has little practical utility, primarily because (as
another poster pointed out), biological differences within a "race" can be
larger than those between "races."

Inasmuch as all "races" are homo sapiens sapiens, what meaning does "race" have
except as an excuse for dividing people into groups (with the implicit
inferior/superior valuation that follows)? The principle of "local adaptation"
is useful, and is where the whole argument should end.

Scott Dorsey

John Poindexter wrote:

An heir to the Rothschild fortune working as a record producer would
be as anachronistic as Donald Trump flipping burgers in a roadhouse.
Doesn't mean it can't happen, it would just be really weird.

Hey, that's no weirder than making wine....
John Poindexter

playon playonATcomcast.net wrote in message . ..
All I know is Jamaicans like more bass!

King Tubby rules.
Paul Stamler

"John Poindexter" wrote in message
m...

That's a question which requires a book to answer. To boil it down to a
massively-oversimplified nutshell, you can divvy up the human race all

kinds

If humans are a race, then a race of what species?

Sorry; "human race" is a common phrase which I used, and of course it's a
misnomer. "Human species" is the proper term.

[...]

Not me; I don't argue religion with people, and how things were 'meant to
be' is a religious question. And I do enjoy human diversity, and would be
loathe to see everybody look alike, dress alike or play the same songs. The
problem I have with the assertion that "as long as we have differences,
clashes will ensue" is that too often superficial differences such as skin
color or group affiliation become excuses for the exploitation or oppression
of one group by another, a crime in itself which leads to further crimes.
See "lynching" and "Rwanda" and "Armenia" and "Auschwitz" and "middle
passage" and "Trail of Tears". I would like to retain the differences but
eliminate the clashes.

In a different sense, though, we *are* one world, one people; genetically,
humans around the world really are incredibly close, on the one hand; on the
other hand, we are also incredibly diverse, to the point where the amount of
genetic diversity in a single village in New Guinea, for example, is almost
as great as the genetic diversity in the world. It's an odd duality, that,
which is resolved by the fact that the incredible diversity is composed of
very superficial details, such as the shape of one's big toe.

Is it possible that you dislike the notion of race, not because races
don't exist, but because acknowledging them conflicts with your chosen
ideology?

I think you draw a distinction without a difference. My ideology states that
since science has debunked the notion of "race" as the term is commonly
applied, it's not a useful concept for me to apply in my own life.

Enjoy the book!

Peace,
Paul

Paul Stamler

I once worked on a magazine with an editor named Nelson Aldrich. As in
Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller; he was, in fact, a pretty close cousin. He had
all the money he'd ever need; he was working because he enjoyed the job, and
because he felt like he was contributing something useful to the community.

Peace,
Paul

Mikey

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...
How would you express the obvious physical differences between say,
a caucasian, an asian, and a negro -- if they're not racial differences?

This is a circular definition.

The concept of "race" has little practical utility, primarily because (as
another poster pointed out), biological differences within a "race" can be
larger than those between "races."

It may have little utility to you directly, but may have utility to
science, marketing, governments, etc. This could result in a gov't
program to attempt to reduce high blood pressure in African-Americans
(existant in the U.S.), or could result in a Taco Bell marketing
program that increases the risk of diabetes for caucasians. So it
could be good, or bad, but it could have utitlity.

Inasmuch as all "races" are homo sapiens sapiens, what meaning does "race" have
except as an excuse for dividing people into groups (with the implicit
inferior/superior valuation that follows)? The principle of "local adaptation"
is useful, and is where the whole argument should end.

Local adaptation IS very useful, and is, IMHO, probably the basis for
racial differences. However, the 'valuation' you refer to is an
individual act, if it happens at all.

I rarely will pull out from another poster's message to quote
directly, but I think John Poindexter's last message bears immediate
repetition:

"Some may even reach the conclusion, whether mistaken or not,
that the various types of fruit are not only -different-, but that
some are actually -inferior- to others. Strictly speaking, however,
saying something is "different" is not synonymous with calling it
"inferior". The act of classifying things doesn't automatically entail
a value judgement, and taking note of differences is not in itself an
act of malice."

End quote.

I believe that the idea of "classification automatically equals value
judgment" is absurd on it's face, and is more dangerous to the
advancement of the entire human species than a few bruised PC egos.
Yes, racism is absurd and despicable, as is sexism and ageism - listen
to Bob Marley for more "isms". But racism and
"classification=judgment" SHARE a common flaw - neither is based on
the individual, both hide behind illogical grouping.

But both classification and judgment ARE useful tools for humanity, if
applied properly. All humans are judgmental - even tho some seek to
disguise it. Judgment is a feedback loop that favors survival - again,
if applied properly.

Political discourse of potentially racist issues can be a useful
preventive measure, but can also stand in the way of knowledge and
advancement. I believe that as humanity removes barriers to
advancement, older non-functioning ideas such as racism *and*
"classification automatically equals value judgment" will fall aside
under the light of knowledge.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku
ThePaulThomas

"U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" "Charles wrote in message news:Ve4Yc.2898$wk1.1675@trndny07...
You mean like Julia Louis-Dreyfus deciding to be an actor?

That's the same Dreyfus who invented commodity trading and also of
"Drefus Affair" fame, iirc.

Even Jack Deyfuss, the "lion of Wall Street", took the time to write
a book extolling the benefits of the drug Dilantin which he is
convinced saved him from a life of paralyzing depression. I do not
believe he had any financial stake in the sale of the drug. He was
just convinced that it could save many lives.
Ricky W. Hunt

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message
I once worked on a magazine with an editor named Nelson Aldrich. As in
Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller; he was, in fact, a pretty close cousin. He had
all the money he'd ever need; he was working because he enjoyed the job,

and
because he felt like he was contributing something useful to the

community.

I agree. Even if I was independently wealthy I'd still want to do something.

Noel Bachelor

On or about Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:57:25 +0000 (UTC), Andre Majorel allegedly

On 2004-08-26, John Poindexter wrote:

Do different races perceive sound differently, and if so, could this
account for differences between the musical traditions of various
cultures?

Probably not, but your native language affects the way you
listen in a major way. The spectra vary widely from language to
language and people tend to listen to the frequencies that their
language uses, and use them in them music.

That's an interesting theory. Perhaps explains why east Asian people seem
to like screechy, jangly top ends. It does have a sort of similarity to
the sound of the languages from that part of the world where quite a few
are tonal and fairly high tones are required for clear contrast.

In west Africa they also seem to like a screechy top end, and a speaker
box is not complete until you have loaded it up with so many 'twitters'
that the top end is horribly distorted from loading down the amp. There
doesn't seem to be quite the same relationship with the sound of the
languages there though.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)

William Sommerwerck

Probably not, but your native language affects the way you
listen in a major way. The spectra vary widely from language to
language and people tend to listen to the frequencies that their
language uses, and use them in them music.

That's an interesting theory. Perhaps explains why east Asian people
seem to like screechy, jangly top ends. It does have a sort of similarity
to the sound of the languages from that part of the world where quite a
few are tonal and fairly high tones are required for clear contrast.

In west Africa they also seem to like a screechy top end, and a speaker
box is not complete until you have loaded it up with so many 'twitters'
that the top end is horribly distorted from loading down the amp. There
doesn't seem to be quite the same relationship with the sound of the
languages there though.

When I worked in retail hi-fi sales, we sold some Mitsubishi products, including
speakers. Interestingly, the speakers had colorations similar to the timbres of
traditional Japanese musical instruments.

I don't know whether this was intentional, or because the colorations were
masked by the instrumental sounds and the designers didn't hear them.
Regardless, it suggests that those judging reproduction should use as wide a
range of instrumental sounds as possible.

Infidell

(John Poindexter) wrote in message . com...
Mike T. wrote in message . ..
On 26 Aug 2004 07:55:07 -0700,
(John
Poindexter) wrote:

Are there any surveys showing the division of racial/ethnic
backgrounds of people involved in music production (US and/or Europe)?
Any studies which show the extent to which this may be affected by
third world immigration? Do different races perceive sound
differently, and if so, could this account for differences between the
musical traditions of various cultures? How many studio owners are
Jewish? Is Paul Rothschild related to the banking family of the same
name?
Just wondering...

John,
I was going to get into a long discussion with you about what you
meant by ethnicity/race/culture, Jewish bankers, and that whole can of
worms. However, I see that this is your only post to r.a.p, so I'll
guess that it's just a TROLL.
Mike T.

OK Mike, I'll come clean...
I am here, on this newsgroup, discussing this topic, because I plan to
create - through the process of eugenics - a Master Race of Sound
Engineers.
If successful, it would mark the dawn of 1000 Years of Tastefully
Mic'ed, Mixed & Mastered Music.
I was just hoping for some pointers.

Oh man, I almost crapped myself when I read that, damn that's funny.
How 'bout this, lets grab some DNA from Albini and Andy Johns and
throw in some Lee "scratch" Perry... that'd be my ideal!

Anyways, verbal language is everything. it affects how you think, how
you act, and most definitely how you HEAR. But that's just a starting
point, and nowadays with music being as cross-cultural as it is now I
think that distinction is getting harder and harder to make. I
haven't heard of any scientific studies done on the subject, but then
again I've heard a bit about the London vs. New York vs. Los Angeles
"sound".

Instrumentation is very important, perhaps I heard a vibrophone while
visiting family in Colombia when I was a child and now that's why I
like gamelan music so much... who knows.

I think it's more a cultural thing than a genetic/racial thing.
Someone who grows up listening to gongs will have different semiotic
reactions to certain frequencies than someone who grew up listening to
djembes. The language you hear as a child, and your exposure to music
(acoustic vs. recorded). And since recorded music is gaining more and
more popularity (and acoustic less & less), these differences will
probably diminish very soon.

Carlos
John Poindexter

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...
How would you express the obvious physical differences between say,
a caucasian, an asian, and a negro -- if they're not racial differences?

This is a circular definition.

The concept of "race" has little practical utility, primarily because (as
another poster pointed out), biological differences within a "race" can be
larger than those between "races."

Inasmuch as all "races" are homo sapiens sapiens, what meaning does "race" have
except as an excuse for dividing people into groups (with the implicit
inferior/superior valuation that follows)? The principle of "local adaptation"
is useful, and is where the whole argument should end.

I fail to see...

1. How the above question is "circular".

2. What it would matter if it was circular. The famous "chicken or the
egg" query could be considered "circular" - does this mean it isn't a
legitimate question?

3. How dividing people into groups carries an "implicit
inferior/superior valuation" of those people. We all divide people
into groups all the time. Does calling someone rich or poor, young or
elderly, male or female, Dutch or Italian, Christian or Buddhist,
communist or capitalist, student or fireman, carry an "implicit"
valuation of those people? I don't think so. Yo-Yo Ma is the first to
call himself an "asian American" (the "asian" denoting race, and the
"American" denoting nationality). What's the problem with this?

4. What any of the above has to do with my question. Again, what does
the word "asian" denote if not a person's race? If you get mugged by a
black man and the police ask you to describe the perpetrator's race,
do you seriously mean to tell me you'll respond by saying, "I don't
know, because the concept of race has no useful meaning and we're all
homo sapiens after all"? Don't you agree that in this hypothetical
scenario, being able to group the perpetrator into a race is of
immense practical value?

5. How the "usefulness" of an idea or a body of knowledge has any
bearing on its validity. Should scholars and scientists only be
allowed to do research to the extent that their findings may be
considered socially "useful", rather than truthful? Should science be
a disinterested search for truth (the Western ideal), or should it
confine its efforts to upholding a particular ideology or form of
government (as in Soviet Russia)?
John Poindexter

Logan Shaw wrote in message ...
John Poindexter wrote:

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...

Probably not, because "race" is a concept with little or no scientific
foundation.

How do you account for the obvious physical differences between say, a
caucasian, an asian, and a negro - if not in terms of race?

It's not that there aren't populations with common traits.

However, these things are SO loose it's virtually impossible to understand
how you could properly define them in an objective manner so that it's
possible to tell which "race" someone is a member of. For instance,
I've met "black" people whose skin is pretty light in color and
some "white" people whose skin is pretty dark. In fact, the variation
in skin tone can be so great that some "black" people lighter skin
than some "white" ones.

A painter can take two or more primary colors and mix them into a
potentially infinite number of secondary colors. The new colors
sometimes look drastically different from the "parent" colors, so much
so that, at times, it's difficult to figure out which primary colors
were used just by looking at the results. But just because the primary
colors are occasionally hard to discern doesn't mean they don't exist.
Identifying the blend of primary colors (and determining exactly what
should be considered a primary color in the first place) used to be
the province of anthropologists, until about the 1940's, when Franz
Boas and his followers began promoting the idea that races don't
exist, with much mass media support. I suspect his motives for
popularizing this concept were ideological rather than scientific (he
was affiliated with over 40 communist front organizations).
John Poindexter

[...]

Believe it or not, I consider myself an egalitarian. And that's why I
have such a problem with the double standards inherent in the
"politically correct" outlook. For instance, the media reminds us day
after day that we shouldn't treat people differently based on the
color of their skin, and yet that's exactly what is being done every
time a black person is given a job because they're black, rather than
on their qualifications alone. The media never ceases to vilify the
Germans for having attempted to build a state along racial lines, and
yet the US government gives billions of dollars and military support
to Israel, a racial state which is doing to the Palestinians exactly
what the Germans were accused of having done to the Jews. Society
tolerates and even encourages "minority" groups to band together to
further their own interests, but any time poor and middle class white
folk do the same thing, they're automatically attacked as "bigots" and
"hatemongers". Adding insult to injury, a white man is almost never
allowed to openly and honestly discuss such matters. I fear the day is
not far off when I could be arrested and thrown in jail simply for
what I've written in these posts. Trying to marginalize and
criminalize so-called "hate speech" is like plugging the valve on a
steam kettle - if people can't vent their frustrations by talking
about them, they're likely to resort to more extreme, far less
constructive means of doing so.

"Equality", tolerance, and respect have to evolve naturally or they
won't happen at all. They can't be imposed at the point of a gun or
under threat of legal reprisals. My biggest concern is that political
correctness, far from eliminating racism from our society, is actually
CREATING it on a far greater scale than if we had just left things to
heal themselves.

Cheers,
John

Paul Gitlitz

On 30 Aug 2004 07:04:26 -0700, (John
Poindexter) wrote:

The media never ceases to vilify the
Germans for having attempted to build a state along racial lines, and
yet the US government gives billions of dollars and military support
to Israel, a racial state which is doing to the Palestinians exactly
what the Germans were accused of having done to the Jews.

John,
You have made 2 errors here. The Jews and Palestinians are both
semitic people. The are the same race. Even their languages stem from
the same source which is quite different from the Indo European
groups. This is a power struggle over realty with the excuse of
religion and old history. The Arabs of Israel "should" be made
citizens of the country and allowed all the same rights, but to do so
would invite them to vote the Jewish regime out of office and end the
dream of a "safe" Jewish homeland. I can't imagine this ever
happening, till the Arabs move out of the Feudal mentality they
currently are quite proud of.
I say this making no excuse for Israel's behavior which though
desperate is still deplorable, nor do I support the US in it's
inequality when it comes to it's self appointed police actions in
disputes around the globe.

The second is to say the Jews are doing exactly what the Germans did.
I see no evidence of death factories or the collection of personal
effects or the forced labour or the making of lamp shades from human
skin. Your exaggeration weakens your arguments.

Society tolerates and even encourages "minority" groups to band together to
further their own interests, but any time poor and middle class white
folk do the same thing, they're automatically attacked as "bigots" and
"hatemongers".

Here again by saying "any time" which is to say every time. This is a
exaggeration and patently untrue.
I personally have no problem with racial jokes or even discrimination
to the extent that there are generalizations that have a kernel of
truth to them about most identifiable groups whether racial,
religious, financial or otherwise. We all get to make choice about
where our comfort zone is. This is discrimination similar to choosing
what brand you buy. I draw the line at things that come from a hurtful
and hateful mind set. I try to limit telling a racial joke to ones I
wouldn't be embarrassed to say to a person who appears to be of the
race which is at the punch line.
Paul
Karl Winkler

[...]

During one of the few times I mixed a gig on Bose speakers (and this
is not meant as a Bose slam!) I noticed that voice sounded pretty good
through the system, but that saxophone did not. I surmised that the
system was *tuned* for voice via engineering, and thus sax was not as
compatible. Of course this was only my assumption. But such an
approach would make sense for many reasons: the voice is the source
with which our hearing system (ears plus brain) most easily identifies
as having problems, due mainly to being more familiar with it than
with any other source. And since most people listen to *songs* and
expect to hear the lyrics (lost cause for most rock & roll,
unfortunately g), Bose is aiming for the masses. The down side was
that for music where voice is not predominant, this approach yields
less than stellar results.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com
musa

"what a disgrace, to see the human race, in a rat race"
-bob marley

nuff reggae lovers round here....bless&love

john, ease it up, king. ..;-)
say what you have to say, it's your right.
but don't believe the hype, go check it for yourself.
you ever heard about divide and conquer? dividi et impera romans said.
old trick: still works because most people's asleep.
it's ONE human family, part of ONE creation, work of ONE Creator, you dig?

guidance&light,
Nousaine

(Karl Winkler)
wrote:

[...]

I can't accept the idea that your native language affects the way people
"listen" (that's a skill) but I would accept the notion that it influences
perception. For example I heard a show on "The NPR" a while ago where a
musicologist was examining why Eminem had such a profound influence on Rap
music. His interpretation was that Eminem used the even-temoered scale (like
Mozart) while the basic RAP has a base African nature. So in America Eminem
appeals to both white and black Americans greatly widening his audience.

Now for me I'm strongly attracted to Lousiana music as long as its not "Cajun"
the most part of which seems to me like off-time Polka music with French
lyrics.

Now Zydeco is magic. Same songs but ditch the tuba and fiddle, add in some
reggae and calypso and blues, make the instruments electric and energize the
behind-the-beat percussion and you have something that's really cooking.

Unfortunately it seems to translate poorly to recording. I've seen Zydeco bands
that singed my socks in person but when I buy a CD I scratch my head wondering
if this is still the same band.