Sam

Default Car Alarm: LED Flashes to beat of stereo

I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Jim Rojas

It may be just your mind playing tricks on you. If you stare at anything
long enough, it will seem to do strange things. If your car alarm has a
shock detector attached to it, it may be reacting to the vibrations of the
music bass beat.

Jim Rojas

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Crash Gordon

It sounds like a "feature" not a bug :-)

"Jim Rojas" wrote in message
| It may be just your mind playing tricks on you. If you stare at anything
| long enough, it will seem to do strange things. If your car alarm has a
| shock detector attached to it, it may be reacting to the vibrations of the
| music bass beat.
|
| Jim Rojas
|

| "Sam" wrote in message
| I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
| is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
| car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
| the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
| the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
| replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.
|
| The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
| Any thoughts?
|
| Thanks
| Sam

e-nigma

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Does it do this with the car running or with the engine off?
It may be a low battery and the bass notes are dropping the battery voltage
enough to cause the alarm to flash the LED

Stanley Barthfarkle

Voltage induction. Your LED wire is probably run next to a speaker wire. The
varying voltage from the speaker wire is "inducing" a small amount of
voltage onto the LED wire. Do a google search on electro-magnetic induction.

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Jim

Sam wrote:
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

I think that some of the ideas of the cause are good but ...... I'd
leave it alone. Sounds like a neat feature to me. You might think about
hooking it to your neon running lights.
Das Coo man!

Jim

Doug L wrote:
Lower the volume

Doug L

--

Eh? Wahdyasay?

Chad Wahls

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
news
Voltage induction. Your LED wire is probably run next to a speaker wire.
The varying voltage from the speaker wire is "inducing" a small amount of
voltage onto the LED wire. Do a google search on electro-magnetic
induction.

Highly unlikely, it will need to act as a transformer and the LED will
require far more current to illuminate than simple paralell induction will
induce. Also if this were the case the problem would be more prominent if
the engine were on as the amplifier would be receiving more voltage and
would have greater headroom. I vote for a big voltage drop at the alarm
module causing a hickup that flashes the lamp.

Chad

petem

simple...

the ground or power line for both the alarm and radio are shared...and its
too small (cant handle the total load of current) or its week..(bad
connection)...

"Sam" a écrit dans le message de news:
SMhcf.441004$oW2.244572@pd7tw1no...
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Sam

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
: Highly unlikely, it will need to act as a transformer and the LED
will
: require far more current to illuminate than simple paralell
induction will
: induce. Also if this were the case the problem would be more
prominent if
: the engine were on as the amplifier would be receiving more voltage
and
: would have greater headroom. I vote for a big voltage drop at the
alarm
: module causing a hickup that flashes the lamp.

What would cause a big voltage drop at the alarm module causing a
hickup that flashes the lamp?

Sam

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

: I think that some of the ideas of the cause are good but ...... I'd
: leave it alone. Sounds like a neat feature to me. You might think
about
: hooking it to your neon running lights.
: Das Coo man!

Me thinks there could be other issues at play here. Many Mazda3
owners are complaining about an intermittent rough idle. Nobody has
determined the source of the problem, maybe this issue is a symptom of
a larger problem?

Sam

"petem" wrote in message
: simple...
:
: the ground or power line for both the alarm and radio are
shared...and its
: too small (cant handle the total load of current) or its week..(bad
: connection)...

what would you suggest be the fix to rectify the situation?

e-nigma

"Sam" wrote in message

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
: Highly unlikely, it will need to act as a transformer and the LED
will
: require far more current to illuminate than simple paralell
induction will
: induce. Also if this were the case the problem would be more
prominent if
: the engine were on as the amplifier would be receiving more voltage
and
: would have greater headroom. I vote for a big voltage drop at the
alarm
: module causing a hickup that flashes the lamp.

What would cause a big voltage drop at the alarm module causing a
hickup that flashes the lamp?

Every time the bass hits, the car voltage drops. the amount of drop depends
on how strong the battery is.

Sam

"e-nigma" wrote in message

: Every time the bass hits, the car voltage drops. the amount of drop
depends
: on how strong the battery is.

Just curious, if the voltage drops then the LED should dim, but in my
case, when the bass hits, the LED brightens. Since the car is only about
6 months old, I don't believe the battery is the issue.

petem

check the wiring for ground and voltage supply

beef it up..

one way of knowing for sur wheres the trouble is to take voltage mesurment
while its happening..

those mesurment should be made between the battery ground ant the various
point where power pass for the radio and alarm device (but i would highly
check at the auxiliary switch of the ignition ;-) )

"Sam" a écrit dans le message de news:
nKTcf.477722$oW2.44608@pd7tw1no...

"petem" wrote in message
: simple...
:
: the ground or power line for both the alarm and radio are
shared...and its
: too small (cant handle the total load of current) or its week..(bad
: connection)...

what would you suggest be the fix to rectify the situation?

e-nigma

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Does it do this with the car running? or only when the key is in ACC

e-nigma

"e-nigma" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
I have a Black Widow 1800 Car Alarm installed in my Mazda3. Everything
is stock inside the car. I noticed the other night while sitting in the
car and listening to the stereo that the LED was flashing to the beat of
the stereo. The heavier the beat, the stronger the flash. I only had
the ignition in the ACC position. This problem is not always easy to
replicate; however, it shows up most of the time.

The car installer said that he's never heard of this problem before.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

Does it do this with the car running? or only when the key is in ACC

Nevermind, you already answered that question.

Does the LED blink normally when the vehicle is off and the alarm armed

Chad Wahls

"Sam" wrote in message

"e-nigma" wrote in message

: Every time the bass hits, the car voltage drops. the amount of drop
depends
: on how strong the battery is.

Just curious, if the voltage drops then the LED should dim, but in my
case, when the bass hits, the LED brightens. Since the car is only about
6 months old, I don't believe the battery is the issue.

The voltage could drop enough to cause the alarm to think weird things and
blink the LED. Even at full output there will be enough voltage to
illuminate an LED. The reason it does not dim is because it's probably
illuminating at the BOTTOM of the voltage cycle or as the cycle is coming
back up. Does the LED flash immediately after you apply power to the alarm
system?

As for 6 month..... I had the battery replaced on my brand spanking new car
within a month of purchase. No system in it. Sometimes you get a bad one.
If a battery lasts the first few months it will usually live a normal live
barring abuse. The weak ones get weeded out quick

Chad

Sam

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
: The voltage could drop enough to cause the alarm to think weird things
and
: blink the LED. Even at full output there will be enough voltage to
: illuminate an LED. The reason it does not dim is because it's probably
: illuminating at the BOTTOM of the voltage cycle or as the cycle is
coming
: back up. Does the LED flash immediately after you apply power to the
alarm
: system?

Yes, the LED flashes immediately after I power-on the alarm.

Chad Wahls

Sam wrote:
"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
: The voltage could drop enough to cause the alarm to think weird things
and
: blink the LED. Even at full output there will be enough voltage to
: illuminate an LED. The reason it does not dim is because it's probably
: illuminating at the BOTTOM of the voltage cycle or as the cycle is
coming
: back up. Does the LED flash immediately after you apply power to the
alarm
: system?

Yes, the LED flashes immediately after I power-on the alarm.

Well I was meaning, maybe you did this. Pull the fuse, put the fuse
back in, the moment you put it in does the LED flash? Maybe the alarm
control unit is seeing a low voltage and "turning off" the logic,
therefore everytime the voltage drop ends (end of beat impulse) the LED
flashes as if the power was re-applied.

Chad

Sam

"e-nigma" wrote in message
:
: Does the LED blink normally when the vehicle is off and the alarm armed
Yes, it blinks as it should when armed.

Sam

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Well I was meaning, maybe you did this. Pull the fuse, put the fuse
: back in, the moment you put it in does the LED flash? Maybe the alarm
: control unit is seeing a low voltage and "turning off" the logic,
: therefore everytime the voltage drop ends (end of beat impulse) the LED
: flashes as if the power was re-applied.

Any idea which fuse it would be? As I didn't do the install myself I
don't know which fuse it's linked to.

Chad Wahls

"Sam" wrote in message
newsaedf.490906$tl2.189156@pd7tw3no...

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Well I was meaning, maybe you did this. Pull the fuse, put the fuse
: back in, the moment you put it in does the LED flash? Maybe the alarm
: control unit is seeing a low voltage and "turning off" the logic,
: therefore everytime the voltage drop ends (end of beat impulse) the LED
: flashes as if the power was re-applied.

Any idea which fuse it would be? As I didn't do the install myself I
don't know which fuse it's linked to.

Sorry, Can't help you with that one.

Chad

Posted to alt.security.alarms,rec.audio.car
Stanley Barthfarkle

"Sam" wrote in message
newsaedf.490906$tl2.189156@pd7tw3no...

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Well I was meaning, maybe you did this. Pull the fuse, put the fuse
: back in, the moment you put it in does the LED flash? Maybe the alarm
: control unit is seeing a low voltage and "turning off" the logic,
: therefore everytime the voltage drop ends (end of beat impulse) the LED
: flashes as if the power was re-applied.

Any idea which fuse it would be? As I didn't do the install myself I
don't know which fuse it's linked to.

It's voltage induction. the poster who said "that's unlikely" has no clue.
Every time the bass hits, the induction is just enough to flash the led.
Re-routing the led wire or speaker wire will solve the issue.

Try disconnecting that mounted led at the controller, and hooking up another
led at the controller without running the wiring near any other wiring.
Doesn't do it anymore, does it?

Posted to alt.security.alarms,rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"Stanley Barthfarkle" wrote in message
. ..

"Sam" wrote in message
newsaedf.490906$tl2.189156@pd7tw3no...

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Well I was meaning, maybe you did this. Pull the fuse, put the fuse
: back in, the moment you put it in does the LED flash? Maybe the alarm
: control unit is seeing a low voltage and "turning off" the logic,
: therefore everytime the voltage drop ends (end of beat impulse) the LED
: flashes as if the power was re-applied.

Any idea which fuse it would be? As I didn't do the install myself I
don't know which fuse it's linked to.

It's voltage induction. the poster who said "that's unlikely" has no clue.
Every time the bass hits, the induction is just enough to flash the led.
Re-routing the led wire or speaker wire will solve the issue.

Bull****, unless the has both of them wrapped around a ferrite, the LED has
WAY too low of an impedance and WAY too high of a forward turn on voltage to
even see it.

IF it were happening from induction. The LED would only flash at PEAK of
ONE EDGE of the WAVEFORM impulse and would have to have a LC CIRCUIT to
hold it on to be visible remember it's a damn diode. Wanna do some math? I
have wiring all over coming out of amps WAY more powerful than a car amp and
have never had induction problems in such confines. Running a 70.7V
constant voltage line along a high impedance mic cable for 100' MAY cause
induction problems but an LED wire in a dash, get real. It's car audio not
broadcast.

Try disconnecting that mounted led at the controller, and hooking up
another led at the controller without running the wiring near any other
wiring. Doesn't do it anymore, does it?

5 bucks says it does. Must be the same brand of LED or with very similar
characteristics. I'll Paypal you.

Chad

Posted to alt.security.alarms,rec.audio.car
Marko

Just an update to everyone. I did end up leaving the LED/Alarm alone
as some of have suggested. The strobe effect of the LED is caused by
the radio/bass vibration affecting the two stage shock sensor. This
is normal :-)