swady

Default my new & improved setup hopefully

New setup.......... i scraped the 4 channel amp and i bought an 800 rms
2 ohm 2 channel and a 200 watt rms 2 ohm 2 channel , these will be
hooked up to 2 6x9 200 watt rms each speakers and 2 4" 100 watt rms
each speakers,also all these speakers are 4 ohm, therese also going to
be an audiobahn eternal subwoofer in the trunk with an 800 watt rms amp
feeding it, and a 3 farad cap to power all three amps, the sound will
be produced with an alpine cd/mp3 player,and driven through 0 guage
audiopipe wires, will this sound good, by the way everything but the
headunit is audiobahn

joe.ker

"swady" wrote in message
ups.com...
New setup.......... i scraped the 4 channel amp and i bought an 800 rms
2 ohm 2 channel and a 200 watt rms 2 ohm 2 channel , these will be
hooked up to 2 6x9 200 watt rms each speakers and 2 4" 100 watt rms
each speakers,also all these speakers are 4 ohm, therese also going to
be an audiobahn eternal subwoofer in the trunk with an 800 watt rms amp
feeding it, and a 3 farad cap to power all three amps, the sound will
be produced with an alpine cd/mp3 player,and driven through 0 guage
audiopipe wires, will this sound good, by the way everything but the
headunit is audiobahn

So your putting a 4" and a 6x9 in parallel on each side of 1 amp?

bob wald

go ///Alpine.....
audiobahn....well id go infinity/visonik for amps,speakers....just 2
better choices.cost about the same too...i think.

swady

no....... 2 4" speakers wired to the 200 watt rms amp and 2 6x9 wired
to the 800 watt amp

Jethro

swady Wrote:
no....... 2 4" speakers wired to the 200 watt rms amp and 2 6x9 wired
to the 800 watt amp

But you can't run 4-ohm speakers at 2-ohms, not even if you use a pair
of 2-channel amps. Whatever you buy needs to put out the amount of
power you need at 4-ohms, not 2-ohms.

--
Jethro

[(Vas/Vbox)+1]^.5 * Qts or Fs
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228632

Bruce Chang

"swady" wrote in message
ups.com...
no....... 2 4" speakers wired to the 200 watt rms amp and 2 6x9 wired
to the 800 watt amp

Just because the amps are 2 ohm stable, doesn't mean you're driving 2 ohm
loads. Your speakers are 4 ohms and therefore, you're driving 4 ohm loads.
If the amp is rated at 400 watts RMS at 2 ohms, at 4 ohms, chances are
you're going to get something around 200 watts.

It sounds like you don't understand the basics of speakers and amps. Not
that you need to know a whole lot but what you're aiming for isn't what
you're going to get. You might not care or notice.

-Bruce

swady

the way i understood it was that if you have a 2 ohm minimum amp and
you have 2 4 ohm speakers that the total ohm rating will drop down to 2
ohms.

I guess im wrong

swady

Anyways if i am wrong it will not matter that much becuase i will still
be powering everything fully except for the front speakers which would
only be running at 50 watts each if thats true

Jethro

swady Wrote:
the way i understood it was that if you have a 2 ohm minimum amp and
you have 2 4 ohm speakers that the total ohm rating will drop down to
2
ohms.

I guess im wrong

If you wire a pair of 4-ohm speakers to the same channel in parallel
(plus to plus, minus to minus), then the impedance will drop to
2-ohms... as was suggested by someone in your other thread... but that
option has its drawbacks, as I mentioned.

You either need to look for an amp based on 4-ohm ratings, or you need
to get 2-ohms speakers. Those are really the only good options.

--
Jethro

[(Vas/Vbox)+1]^.5 * Qts or Fs
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228632

Bruce Chang

"swady" wrote in message
ups.com...
the way i understood it was that if you have a 2 ohm minimum amp and
you have 2 4 ohm speakers that the total ohm rating will drop down to 2
ohms.

I guess im wrong

No, you're right. if you have two speakers wired in PARALLEL, the amp will
see a 2 ohm load. From your post you said you'd have 2 speakers wired to
each amp, not to each channel.

swady

Thanks to all of you, as you can see this was only my second system,
and the first one was pretty ****ty, i was trying to do this one right
and produce a great sounding system. Hopefully i am not far away from
it therese just some tweaking that i have to do.

MZ

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Smoove wrote:
What are you expecting out of the 6x9's?

Probably sound...
Kirby

Haha, smartass.

"MZ" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Smoove wrote:
What are you expecting out of the 6x9's?

Probably sound...

joe.ker

"MZ" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Smoove wrote:
What are you expecting out of the 6x9's?

Probably sound...

That's sound advise...

Bruce Chang

"joe.ker" wrote in message

"MZ" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Smoove wrote:
What are you expecting out of the 6x9's?

Probably sound...

That's sound advise...

I hear ya, loud and clear. =o)

92bluedak

"the way i understood it was that if you have a 2 ohm minimum amp and
you have 2 4 ohm speakers that the total ohm rating will drop down to
2
ohms.

I guess im wrong "

This is true for a single channel of the amp but not for the amp as a
whole.
ex. two 4ohm speakers in parallel on one channel = 2ohm load/
One 4ohm speaker on each channel of a two channel amp = two 4ohm loads

--
92bluedak
92bluedak's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=26441

swady

could i hook them up in parallel and direct all the power of the amp to
one channel?

joe.ker

"swady" wrote in message
ups.com...
could i hook them up in parallel and direct all the power of the amp to
one channel?

You'll be better off just hooking them up in stereo.
And running at 2 ohm could cause problems down the road
At 2 ohm the amp runs hotter, and distortion doubles, though probably
not auditable .

92bluedak

You could bridge the two channels, usually by useing the positive from
one channel and negative from the other, but its not recommended to go
below 4ohms bridged unless your amp is designed for it. Your amp may be
2ohm stable but it is most likely only 4ohm stable for bridged
operation. Read the owners manual. It will explain all of this and
should have a diagram for wiring.

--
92bluedak
92bluedak's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=26441
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228632

swady

Smooth what do i need to complete the system?

swady

Smooth what do i need to complete the system?

Bruce Chang

"joe.ker" wrote in message

"swady" wrote in message
ups.com...
could i hook them up in parallel and direct all the power of the amp to
one channel?

You'll be better off just hooking them up in stereo.
And running at 2 ohm could cause problems down the road
At 2 ohm the amp runs hotter, and distortion doubles, though probably
not auditable .

Probably wouldn't hear the distortion either. =o)

Smoove

I don't see any tweets in your list of hardware or crossovers. Are the 4's
and 6x9's coax? The group has come up with several ways to wire your
equipment. But you have not stated how you expect to get a full range of
music.
"swady" wrote in message
oups.com...
Smooth what do i need to complete the system?

swady

well there are dome tweeters on both the 6x9's and the 4", but ill get
some nice ones and hook em up to the headunit
Thanks 4 the info

Smoove

4's are basically mids going up front? and the 6x9's in the rear? Remember
your mids and tweets are supposed to be closer to you and preferably facing
you. Is the power off the head unit going to be enough power for the 4's to
keep up with the rest of the system?
"swady" wrote in message
oups.com...
well there are dome tweeters on both the 6x9's and the 4", but ill get
some nice ones and hook em up to the headunit
Thanks 4 the info

swady

thats not what i ment there are tweeters in the 6x9's and the 4"
speakers, and those four speakers are powered by amps, but i was
thinking about gettin some more tweeters and hooking them up to the
fronts on the headunit just for a little more high frequency juice.

Machinations on ideal PC<-->Stereo dorm setup Jim G Tech 2 March 21st 05 04:30 PM
Voice-over recording setup Drew M Pro Audio 7 December 7th 04 12:02 AM
Is this setup possible? Abhi Car Audio 1 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
Save and Recall PC CMOS Setup Mike Rivers Pro Audio 13 April 1st 04 07:40 PM
Sub setup in an SUV, Single 12W7 setup or Dual 12W6 Marcello B Car Audio 4 February 20th 04 02:05 AM