Mister.Lull

Default Amplifier Temperature Gauge... Thoughts?

I've been thinking about installing a temperature gauge to moniter my
amplifier. So far the cheapest one I've been able to locate (after
many hours of internet searching) has been a cyberdyne model which,
before shipping and tax, comes out to $67.97 with the gauge and sender.
What I'm hoping is that someone here knows of
A)a cheaper gauge and sender out there, or
B)a relatively inexpensive alternate way to do this. It doesn't have to
look too terribly pretty; for example, I've looked into using something
awfully close to a kitchen/cooking temperature gauge... Here's the
hard part with this idea: I would like to power it with the vehicles
electrical system NOT a battery of its own.

Any takers? I'd love some input on this...

~Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

The sender is the piece that actually affixes to the amplifier (via a
wire from the gauge) in order to *take* the temperature reading. The
actual read-out device is a round gauge with a digital display. I'm
not too picky on what the read-out looks like (analog, digital,
backlit, front lit, I don't care). As far as the accuracy I suppose it
would have to be fairly accurate, but not 'calibrated by rocket
scientists' accurate...

The whole idea is simply to see what temperature my amp is running at
while driving down the road. I feel that this *should* be able to be
done for cheaper... You know?

~Mister.Lull

MZ

The sender is the piece that actually affixes to the amplifier (via a
wire from the gauge) in order to *take* the temperature reading. The
actual read-out device is a round gauge with a digital display. I'm
not too picky on what the read-out looks like (analog, digital,
backlit, front lit, I don't care). As far as the accuracy I suppose it
would have to be fairly accurate, but not 'calibrated by rocket
scientists' accurate...

The whole idea is simply to see what temperature my amp is running at
while driving down the road. I feel that this *should* be able to be
done for cheaper... You know?

The expensive part is the readout. A simple thermistor could probably do
the job for you just fine. Or, even simpler, hook two leads up to the
thermistor already present in your amp (after calibrating your reader
appropriately). Thermocouples might also work, I guess. The problem with
these options are that you need to convert the electrical signal into a
temperature number. So, while it may be only pennies to measure the
temperature, it's more than that to read it out.

Anyway, have you tried the regular places? Digikey? Jameco? MCM
Electronics? Parts Express? Omega?

Mister.Lull

You're right, the sender itself is only $15.00 or so, the actual gauge
is the expensive part. I'm still pretty new to this whole car audio
business; The only one of those names that I've ever heard of is Parts
Express - though I did give Radio Shack a try... I'll give those that
you listed a try.

As most newbies, I would rather not take my amp apart. At this point,
I'm actually thinking that something like a kitchen thermometer (with a
longer wire attached) and a big fat pack of watch batteries (to power
it when it dies constantly) might be the easiest option...

I do like the way you think... Any other ideas?

~Mister.Lull

Mister.Lull

I think I just caught something that we're speaking differently about:

I'm only talking about taking the external temp of the amp. I figure I
can mount a sensor (sender) of some sort on the bottom of the amp,
between the amp and whatever it's mounted on. It's not some sort of
integration between the amp and the gauge, it's supposed to be
universal.

Hope that helps with the flowing of more ideas...

~Mister.Lull

Brandonb

Since $67.97 is, I would assume so. Otherwise I would have mentioned
Stinger's STEMPG2 gauge that's around $70 also (depending on where you
purchase).

Brandonb

I. Care wrote:

$125 too much?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ATM6392

Tony F

"Any other ideas?"

What's wrong with just using an indoor/outdoor thermometer like you'd put on
your coffee table to keep track of the temperature inside and/or outside
your house? You could take the thing apart and make whatever modifications
you needed to.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Mark

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been thinking about installing a temperature gauge to moniter my
amplifier. So far the cheapest one I've been able to locate (after

What make/model amp?

Most amps these days have thermal protection that shuts down the amplifier
to prevent damage when it's driven too hard or is not adequately ventilated.

Or are you just interested in the 'show-factor' of having another gauge? :-)

Cheers.

many hours of internet searching) has been a cyberdyne model which,
before shipping and tax, comes out to $67.97 with the gauge and sender.
What I'm hoping is that someone here knows of
A)a cheaper gauge and sender out there, or
B)a relatively inexpensive alternate way to do this. It doesn't have to
look too terribly pretty; for example, I've looked into using something
awfully close to a kitchen/cooking temperature gauge... Here's the
hard part with this idea: I would like to power it with the vehicles
electrical system NOT a battery of its own.

Any takers? I'd love some input on this...

~Mister.Lull

Spike

How about Radio Shack?

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:38:55 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

[...]

Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

Gad shat fools these morons be....
Mike

you might want to also try a pet store. I picked up a thermometer for my
son's gecko, and it cost $32 with the sender and the digital readout. I
don't know what temp range you would be looking at though.

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think I just caught something that we're speaking differently about:

I'm only talking about taking the external temp of the amp. I figure I
can mount a sensor (sender) of some sort on the bottom of the amp,
between the amp and whatever it's mounted on. It's not some sort of
integration between the amp and the gauge, it's supposed to be
universal.

Hope that helps with the flowing of more ideas...

~Mister.Lull

Bruce Chang

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
The sender is the piece that actually affixes to the amplifier (via a
wire from the gauge) in order to *take* the temperature reading. The
actual read-out device is a round gauge with a digital display. I'm
not too picky on what the read-out looks like (analog, digital,
backlit, front lit, I don't care). As far as the accuracy I suppose it
would have to be fairly accurate, but not 'calibrated by rocket
scientists' accurate...

The whole idea is simply to see what temperature my amp is running at
while driving down the road. I feel that this *should* be able to be
done for cheaper... You know?

~Mister.Lull

I'm curious as why you need to know the temp of the amp. What would you do
with that information? Turn it off if it gets too hot?

Mister.Lull

I. Care - Yes, that's too much.

Mark - It's a JBL BP150.1, which I'm pretty sure does have protect.
The amp will be mounted in a fairly small space, and what I'd like to
see is what the temp *is* if/when it goes into protect. Then I can see
what the most effective way to ventilate the area will be. Plus, yes,
I think it would look kinda cool.

Tony F. - I like your thinking, can you name some stores I might look
for something like that at?

Spike - I already tried Radio Shack, they didn't seem to have anything
I was looking for; at any price...

Mike - Way to think outside the box!! I'll look into this, but I am
also going to keep an eye on the temperature range on something like
that.

Bruce Chang - See my answer to Mark above.

Thank you all for your input!!!

~Mister.Lull

Bruce Chang

[...]

I have an infrared thermometer that I would just wait til it went into
protect and zap it with it. If it never goes into protect, you wouldn't
need the digital read out anyhow. Seems kind of a moot point unless you
actually need it. If it's just for show then that's completely different.

-Bruce

Mister.Lull

"Seems kind of a moot point unless you
actually need it. If it's just for show then that's completely
different."

Not completely different. Functionality coupled with aesthetic appeal.

You are partly right however, it isn't needed to the tune of $70.00...
But if it can be done for less, and not look completely ghetto, then I
will do it.

~Mister.Lull

Tony F

"Tony F. - I like your thinking, can you name some stores I might look for
something like that at?"

I see them just about everywhere...Walmart, Kmart, Radio Shack, Shopko, Home
Depot etc. If you want a specific unit then Amazon.com would be a good
place to start because they have a huge selection and some detailed specs to
boot - not to mention reviews. Oregon Scientific is the brand name I was
thinking of, although there are many others. Some are even cordless...how
easy would that be!!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Mister.Lull

Does anybody know (roughly, of coarse) how hot I should expect an amp
to get before/during protect mode? I'm probably going to get laughed
at, but should it be any higher than 158 degrees Fareneit (70 degrees
Celsius)? I think I found a product that would work, but that's as
high as it will measure...

~Mister.Lull

Chris Mullins

i've considered hooking up my multimeter which has a temp probe with it, to
my amp and to the motor on one of my subs. I'd like to know what a normal
running temp is on them both.

news

wrote:

[...]

Scotty

"Chris Mullins" wrote in
message ...
i've considered hooking up my multimeter which has a temp probe with it,
to my amp and to the motor on one of my subs. I'd like to know what a
normal running temp is on them both.

HOT! DAMN HOT!! That means that your systems pumping niceNloud!

Scotty

"Chris Mullins" wrote in
message ...
i've considered hooking up my multimeter which has a temp probe with it,
to my amp and to the motor on one of my subs. I'd like to know what a
normal running temp is on them both.

HOT! DAMN HOT!! That means that your systems pumping niceNloud!

Nah seriously, Id tend to just find out what they run at when at around 3/4
Volume and not mounted to carpet or anything. Carpet or mounting in an
enclosed space like under a seat etc will seriously affect the heat
dissapation properties. If its getting to hot to touch or its thermalling
heaps try mount elsewhere or put a small 12Volt fan on its heat sinks etc.
Best way to mount an amp is fins vertical and exposed to air flow
(preferably cool air).

The cooler the amp the more efficient, the more efficient the harder it will
run.

Subs should run cool to the touch, when they are getting quite warm it may
be time to externally cool them via fans etc.

Hope that helps some.

Scotty

"Scotty" wrote in message
The cooler the amp the more efficient, the more efficient the harder it
will run.

Subs should run cool to the touch, when they are getting quite warm it may
be time to externally cool them via fans etc.

Hope that helps some.

Something thats a good Idea that I forgot to add was if you have ducted A/C
vents under yoru seats like my Toyota configue the vents to run A/C cooled
air over the fins. They actually run way better cool with less current draw.

Mister.Lull

Thanks for your input...

~Mister.Lull

Tony F

Hey Mister.Lull

Did you see the thread posted on 08-29 titled: "Fwd: New Product Release"?

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

I. Care

says...
Hey Mister.Lull

Did you see the thread posted on 08-29 titled: "Fwd: New Product Release"?

Tony

He already complained that $125 was too much let alone $400.
--
I. Care

Mister.Lull

Thanks for the thought, but yeah $400.00 is far FAR too much. Plus
that system is built for monitering four amplifiers, and I only want to
track 1 amp.

~Mister.Lull

Chris Mullins

After the talking about this i went ahead and tried hooking my multimeter's
temp gauge up to the amp, worked like a charm and the amp went up to about
110 which i don't think is too hot at all considering the outside temp was
about 90. Now i just have to find someone with really small arms so they
can reach inside my sub box and stick the probe on the sub's motor, lol.

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the thought, but yeah $400.00 is far FAR too much. Plus
that system is built for monitering four amplifiers, and I only want to
track 1 amp.

~Mister.Lull

FS: PHEONIX GOLD AMPS AND WOOFERS ON SPECIAL NEXXON Car Audio 1 August 26th 04 05:44 PM
ALL amps are equal?? Pug Fugley Car Audio 60 August 17th 04 03:33 AM
Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
Is there an easy way to know when a tube has "warmed up"? John Andreen Vacuum Tubes 19 October 24th 03 01:24 AM
Ears vs. Instruments Dick Pierce High End Audio 183 August 17th 03 10:43 PM