mdh

bobb Wrote:
By the time one spends enough$ and time, may as well replace that HU.

I agree, besides the improved sq from line in and the possibility using
the hu to operate the ipod.

--
mdh
mdh's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=30155

Default hard-wired fm modulator

I want to wire my iPod into my 4-year-old Clarion head unit, which does
not appear to have an "Aux In" (CDX-765), but I'm otherwise happy with
it and in no hurry to junk it (good, clean 4V signal, etc).

I live in SoCal, where those little wireless FM modulators (the iTrip,
etc) don't work for sh!t -- too much interference, there's no one place
on the radio dial that's empty enough.

So I'd like to hard-wire a modulator, ideally one intelligent enough to
sense a singal on the "line in" jacks and switch off the external
antenna. I've seen lots of cheap ones that have a manual on/off
switch, but I'd like something a little more intelligent, so when I
want to listen to the iPod I click "play" and when I don't, I just turn
the iPod off, no messing with anything else.

Is there such a beast? Google's not of much help.

Thanks!
Wendell

MOSFET

[...]

I've never heard of such a device, but I see no reason why one could not
exist. Check PartsExpress, MCM Electronics, David Levy Company (DLC), MAT
Electronics and maybe even J&R Music World. These companies specialize in
obscure, hard to find electronic components. DLC in particular has a huge
selection of automotive audio components. If it exists, one of these
companies will have it.

But I'm wondering, have you actually tried the FM interface? Forgive me if
you have, but I have never seen one unable to work because of too much
interference (granted, I don't live in LA).

MOSFET

MOSFET wrote:
I've never heard of such a device, but I see no reason why one could

not
exist.

They exist all over (froogle.google.com for 'fm modulator') and start
around $17, and I've seen 'em as expensive as $60, but even the
expensive ones have an "on/off switch," one more thing to mess with.

I'm sure there's a way to 'sense' when the RCA leads are carrying a
signal; maybe I can work up a secondary circuit with a BOSCH relay...

But I'm wondering, have you actually tried the FM interface? Forgive

me if
you have, but I have never seen one unable to work because of too

much
interference (granted, I don't live in LA).

Yes, I've tried several, from the two iTrips to a non-iPod specific
device I got at Good Guys. None of them worked; they advise finding a
station with nothing on either side. (E.g., 88.7 if 88.5 and 88.9 are
both empty.) Here in L.A., though, there are no such stations - our FM
dial is completely saturated to the extent permissible by the FCC
(e.g., 90.1, 90.5 (with 90.3 being empty), etc. It's so bad there's a
hill that, when you cross it, you literally go from getting a salsa
station to getting X103 (alternative/hard rock) in about twenty
seconds, both are strong stations divided only by the physical hill...
It's insane.

bobb

By the time one spends enough$ and time, may as well replace that HU.

It'll run me about $300 to replace the head unit with one that will
control an iPod and has 4V pre-amp outputs (I've tried the lower output
line-level signals and I've been unsatisfied.) I'm hoping to find a
device for around $50.

Actually, I'd be okay with a CeNet version of the Alpine KCA-121B.

What I'm thinking I might end up doing is getting the Alpine adapter
for my CDA-7840, moving that to the Jeep, and installing a new
iPod-ready Alpine deck + KCA-420i into the Porsche. I'm trying to
avoid spending much money on the Jeep (it's a rainy-weather-only or
need-to-carry-more-than-one-passenger car, which in SoCal amounts to a
few weeks a year of operation), but I'll happily spend on the p-car
(obviously ...

Steve B.

seems like XO Vision has what you want.

Here's a whole page full of 'em.... Bound to find atleast one that
will do wht you want.
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/fmmodulator.html

Steve B.

bobb wrote:
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:20:13 -0500, Scott Gardner

wrote:
4V pre-out voltage does not provide any audible improvement over 2V
pre-outs.

Yeah, but unless u want to go help him find out what the root problem
is, if 4V sounds better over 2V without spending tons of time, that's
what he wants.

The issue is alternator whine; I (and all of the installers I've taken
it to) have been unable to get rid of it entirely; the Jeep's just not
a well-integrated electrical system. And yeah, we've tried grounding
everything to the battery, etc. We can get it almost gone, but not all
the way. Running a 4V pre-amp allows me to ratchet the gain on the
amplifier back to where it's unnoticeable.

WENDELL, are u sure the back of the unit doesn't have any kind of
line-in input? Many times, there is a jack for an external changer
that nobody uses, maybe u can tap in there.

Positive. There's a CeNet connector, but the RCA - CeNet connector
is evidently discontinued. I like the deck, and I'm loath to replace
functional equipment (consumerism bugs me , but I'm beginning to
think doing a deck-swap-and-handmedown (maybe selling the Clarion for
$10 on eBay) is the way to go...

Thanks all!