bobb

Default Nobody is talking about the OmniFi WiFi MP3 jukebox???

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0xv129...info&i=575DMP1

What's up with that?

FINALLY, an iPOD built into your car, AND you can update it via WiFi
while you are sleep. This is the kind of technology I like, set up
once and forget it, and my tunes are always with me when I drive.

How come nobody here is talking about it?????
Cyrus

bobb wrote:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0xv129...50800&id=essen
tial_info&i=575DMP1

What's up with that?

FINALLY, an iPOD built into your car, AND you can update it via WiFi
while you are sleep. This is the kind of technology I like, set up
once and forget it, and my tunes are always with me when I drive.

How come nobody here is talking about it?????

1. overpriced

2. single set of rca outputs

3. controller/faceplate is godawfully ugly

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

How come nobody here is talking about it?????

Old news.

CES 2003 was when it was first introduced. Nothing happened.

CES 2004 - Rockford was going to distribute it.

CES 2005 Omni what?
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php
Scott Gardner

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:59:28 -0800, bobb wrote:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0xv129...info&i=575DMP1

What's up with that?

FINALLY, an iPOD built into your car, AND you can update it via WiFi
while you are sleep. This is the kind of technology I like, set up
once and forget it, and my tunes are always with me when I drive.

How come nobody here is talking about it?????

20 Gigs of storage, and only ONE 20-song "favorites" playlist!?!?!

I guess they really want you browsing through all 5000 songs while
you're driving down the street...

Scott

Kirby

It's been un-noticed really at the local future shop.. Doesn't look very
durable. Besides, thats the great thing about the iPod, you can take it
anywhere. And you might as well say why not talk about the Kenwood Music
Keg. It looks a lot better, it's already used a fair bit, and of what I
know, is supossed to be a lot better than most other devices. Oh, it's also
backed up by a brand name.

"bobb" wrote in message

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0xv129...g=50800&id=ess
ential_info&i=575DMP1

What's up with that?

FINALLY, an iPOD built into your car, AND you can update it via WiFi
while you are sleep. This is the kind of technology I like, set up
once and forget it, and my tunes are always with me when I drive.

How come nobody here is talking about it?????

bobb

OK.

Price-wise, Crutchfield just dropped it to $300, I think that's
do-able.

Durable-unattractive - Maybe, but what are my alternatives?

Short playlist - now that's one silly limitation.

Single set RCA - Why would anybody be afraid of Y-splitters???

iPOD - right, but I want something bult-in, stock, and I can't afford
a BMW just right now.

So guys, automatic wireless update is very important to me, as I
oftenly record stuff off the NET. I don't want to have to manually
transfer the new recordings from PC to car. What do u guys recommend
that doesn't requires a remorgaging of the house???

I'm one of the unfortunate owners of the Omnifi. I figured at $300 it
was worth a shot. I was wrong. Rockford Fosgate is the manufacturer
and they have done a terrible job. It's almost as if they sold it to
the public with the intent of making consumers beta testers. The list
of problems is too long to go into, but the top ones a
-no fast forward or reverse.
-Tends to operate sporadically...sometimes the WiFi works and other
times not
-Sometimes it will play and other times not. Sometimes when selecting
from your favorites list it plays nothing but garbled noise.
-Terrible navigation...god forbid you have lots of artists in your
library that start with x, y or z. You have to page through
alphabetically to queue up songs. So if you listen to "The Cure" or
"The Smashing Pumpkins" or anything at the other end of the alphabet,
you'll be scrolling for a few minutes to find your selection.
-Display stinks.
On the upside, it's nice to have your whole library in the car and
integrated into your dash. I know most people will prefer the iPOD,
but I liked the idea of having something permanently in my car that
updates automatically.

Omnifi had a customer forum up until a few months ago...I think all the
negative "beta tester" feedback was costing them too much business, so
they disabled it. A newer unit, the DMP2, is going to be released in
the future, probably at the DMP1's original price point of $700. NO
WAY WILL I RISK THE TROUBLE AGAIN!

amorsell

I also own one of these units. When I purchased it, it clearly beat
the Music Keg in terms of functionality mostly due to the larger hard
drive size, the WIFI synching and the 3 line display (even though it is
really ugly). I spent about $1000 for the unit and a custom install.

After owning if for 9 months or so, it is evident that this is a beta
product. I have had to return it once since the hard drive cartridge
was spontaneously ejecting. To their credit, the customer service
people are great and they shipped me an entire new-in-the-box
replacement unit. That particular has been fixed for me, but the
product in general continues to be riddled with firmware bugs. The
latest firmware, which came out in November, fixed a couple of problems
but also caused another one. Now, if a WIFI synch takes place, the
unit will not resume at the place it was last playing when you start
your car the next time. Instead, you have to queue up your music
again. This is a pain and needs to be fixed but Omnifi is pretty much
ignoring it.

Part of the problem is that the company that writes the firmware and
software, Simple Devices, was recently purchased by Universal
Electronics and has apparently stopped working with Omnifi.
Regardless, I'm not optimistic about Omnifi putting forth any more
effort into fixing a product that will soon be superceded by something
else. This leaves the current owners hanging. If they would just make
the software open source, the developer community could make this thing
rock.

Omnifi had a product support forum on their web until early January,
but completely pulled the plug on it since there was a ton of negative
posts (but nothing that wasn't true).

If you happen to be an Omnifi car audio owner, there is still some info
floating around on the web and I have posted some of it on Yahoo
groups. Search for Omnifi at groups.yahoo.com and you will find it.
bobb wrote:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0xv129...info&i=575DMP1

What's up with that?

FINALLY, an iPOD built into your car, AND you can update it via WiFi
while you are sleep. This is the kind of technology I like, set up
once and forget it, and my tunes are always with me when I drive.

How come nobody here is talking about it?????

Ivan Raide

Amorsell:
Its funny, I created a forum on MSN groups for the exact same purpose
and the first 3 posts are almost a copy of what you've written…

http://groups.msn.com/OmnifiDMP1/messages.msnw

Hopefully we can get some type of community going again, because I also
believe all DMP1 users are going to be on their own. L

Does anyone know of any other public forum talking about the DMP1, (we
should try to consolidate them)

bobb

Hopefully we can get some type of community going again, because I also
believe all DMP1 users are going to be on their own. L

Does anyone know of any other public forum talking about the DMP1, (we
should try to consolidate them)

When someone reverse engineer this thing and puts out solid firmware,
email me. Meanwhile, I will find out how to hook up an iPOD to my car.