Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default ... anybody actually talk about hi-fi here anymore

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

I know that is the conventional wisdom....but have you
heard one of these older JBL corner horn
speakers....driven by a fine tube amp?

Lived with a pair of JBL 001 systems driven by Dyna and Fisher power amps
for about 3 years.

Weren't bad for doing live sound and dances, but for serious music
listening, not so much.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

I know that is the conventional wisdom....but have you
heard one of these older JBL corner horn
speakers....driven by a fine tube amp?

Lived with a pair of JBL 001 systems driven by Dyna and Fisher power amps
for about 3 years.

Weren't bad for doing live sound and dances, but for serious music
listening, not so much.

I'm talking about 5' tall consumer corner horns for home use....the 001
system simply desribes a set of drivers and crossover....says nothing about
the enclosures they were in.

I've dug out the paperwork I have on the system....it was the Jim Lansing
0050 system in the 31 horn cabinet....official model number 31050...had a
price of $870 back in '52. The high frequency drives is the 175DLH "High
EndUnit for transduction of frequencies above 1200 (hz). Combined in the
one assembly are a Jim Lansing High Frequency Driver, and exponential horn,
and the exclusive Jim Lansing Koustical Lens. Designed in accordance with
the most advanced optical-acoustic theory and consisting of 14 seperate
elements, the Koustical Lens distribues sound smoothly over a solid 90 (deg)
angle in all point in the listening area with equal instensity regardless of
frequency. Phase interference present in all types of horns including
multi-cellular is notably absent."

I don't think it was hype...there was no "honking" that I was aware of...but
I did here it in the other brands to varying degrees....as I said, the Utahs
were the worst...I'd put the Altec multi-cellulars in second place but a big
step behind the Lansings. Don't forget, for Jim Lansing the multicellulars
that he helped design were a good two generations back.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

I know that is the conventional wisdom....but have you
heard one of these older JBL corner horn
speakers....driven by a fine tube amp?

Lived with a pair of JBL 001 systems driven by Dyna and
Fisher power amps for about 3 years.

Weren't bad for doing live sound and dances, but for
serious music listening, not so much.

I'm talking about 5' tall consumer corner horns for home
use....the 001 system simply describes a set of drivers
and crossover....says nothing about the enclosures they
were in.

My 001 system components were in locally-built JBL designs that were 4-5'
tall. Heavy plywood walls and cross-bracing. The actual JBL enclosures were
weak and floppy compared to these.

The 001 system was sort of mid-grade. If you were really serious about JBL,
you got their 3-ways with the bullet tweeters.

Harry, you're reaching into territory that you know nothing about. One of
the largest JBL/Mac dealers in Michigan was headquartered about a mile from
my parent's house, and I also knew their competitors well.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

And that is better than having your dad in the business and working in ht
store on weekend, how, Arny? Plus having the system in your living room for
four years as a reference? Driven by the best hi-fi amplifier then being
produced?

The 001 system was not mid-grade...it was the single woofer system with the
Koustical lens horn (so you were hearing the correct horn). The 050 system
had two 15" drivers plus the horn and a different crossover. The system I
reference was installed in a C31 folded corner horn cabinet made of solid
Mahogany that weighed 157 pounds ex the drivers, which together weighed
another 67 pounds. Some flimsy 214 pound system! The ring-radiator tweeter
hadn't been invented (sometime after 1956) and this horn high-frequency
driver was their top of the line at the time.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

I suspect that I benefited from being a free agent during the week and
working in someone else's HT store on the weekend. I wasn't the boss's son,
so I had to keep my job based on performance. During the week I was free to
do what I will and visit where I will because the boss wasn't looking over
my back. I took the bosses money as wages and spent it as I will.

Plus having the system in your living room for four years as a
reference?

I had to console myself with a steady diet of live music.

Driven by the best hi-fi amplifier then being
produced?

That's debatable, to say the least.

The 001 system was not mid-grade...

Maybe the 001 system was less than mid-grade! Adding a decent true tweeter
was a significant upgrade.

Posted to aus.hi-fi,rec.audio.pro,alt.movies.cinematography,alt.audio.pro.live-sound
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

[...]

My dad had been a jazz drummer in college, was an electrical engineer, and
in the early days of the business operated a direct-to-disk recording studio
as part of it. He loved music, and had built his own "hi-fi" equipment
since the late '30's. So I was raised in an environment where attempts to
reproduce mucic at its very highest level in the home was a passion, not
just a business.

The business side, not conincidentally, also included being NE distributor
for Magnecorder...and outfitting literally dozens and dozens of radio
stations in the NorthEast with their first tape reocrders/reproducers, so I
was introduced to recording as early as 1949. I have a tape from 1950 of my
Grandfathers 75 birthday party, and helped dad do a District orchestra
recording in 1952. He was also a freind of Emory Cook's, so we received
first copies of all his recordings.

That doesn't invalidate your experience; I simply want to emphasize the
almost unique invironment I grew up in.

Plus having the system in your living room for four years as a
reference?

I had to console myself with a steady diet of live music.

I had that as well, both in churcha and in school choruses including
District. In fact that is how/where I fell in love with classical music.
My dad was a jazz buff, so I had no problem absorbing that. But we are
talking high-fidelity sound from the '50's and '60's here, are we not?

Driven by the best hi-fi amplifier then being
produced?

That's debatable, to say the least. Tell that to Audio Engineering, who had
to launch a new way of measuring distortion to test the amp.

What 1952 amplifiers do you think sounded better, and what support do you
have for that conclusion?

The 001 system was not mid-grade...

Maybe the 001 system was less than mid-grade! Adding a decent true tweeter
was a significant upgrade.

Again, Arny, I am talking 1952, not 1960. You are nearly a decade later,
methinks. Hi-Fi grew to its teen years during the fifties, so late fifties
is not the same as early fifties.