Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson

Default The Line Between Reality and Delusion?

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
oups.com
Powell wrote:
Unfortunately, this does not explain your
continued personal harassment toward Arny.

"Continued personal harassment"? It saddens me to
learn that that is how someone views my public responses
to Arny Krueger's postings. Oh well. :-(

Recent gratuitous harrasment by John Atkinson ....snip

Is this an example of a "pity party"?

Mr. Krueger's on-line persona was captured in a 1999 posting made
by Paul Bamborough. At the risk of further offending Mr. Powell, I
offer the Bamborough analysis he

Begin quoted text:
Message
From: Paul Bamborough )
Subject: Atkinson enlightens his sheep
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
Date: 1999/10/08
Arny Krueger wrote
wrote
And one more point: why did you make what must be considered
an insulting change to the thread title in your response to
my posting? Don't you regard having done so as somewhat childish?

Let's put it this way: When one has taken a certain number of
inbound shells of a certain caliber, one hardly worries about
sending a few back, or at who on the other side of the "battle
line".

Dear Mr. Krueger,

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have trouble
accepting this, but I would request you to consider it on exactly
that basis.

I'm beginning to wonder if the the most important underlying reason
for your style of debate, and the reactions that it provokes, is
that you have an extreme insensitivity to how your words might seem
to other people, coupled with an equally extreme sensitivity to the
slightest possibility of insult. It's quite common, you know: one
well known phrase describing it is the "Sensitive Tank".

The Sensitive Tank rolls over the landscape, its treads grinding
and crushing, its cannon and machine guns firing wildly in all
directions. But let it perceive the presence, or even the
possibility of a critical glance being aimed in return, and it
draws its skirts around its ankles and complains bitterly about
being attacked.

It's not an exact analogy, because a tank typically has effective
weapons and good defences. But it will do.

In this case, you are claiming that because you have taken so many
"shells", you do not worry about "sending a few back". Let's look
at the context: over the past year you have made literally hundreds
of posts attacking Mr. Atkinson. You freely apply words such as
fraud and liar. You make statements that can only be read as
accusations that Mr. Atkinson's magazine sells its editorial to its
advertisers. You put words in his mouth that you present no good
evidence for. You revise what has happened repeatedly.

This is all on the record.

In return, Mr. Atkinson has displayed remarkable patience. Sorry,
but he has. I have read most of the relevant postings. He has
hardly ever stooped to anything that could be reasonably read as
insult; on the very few occasions when he has become harsh, it is
manifestly in response to extreme provocation.

This is also all on the record. Please note that I have been led
to my statements precisely by that record, not by any prejudices
against you or for him. My underlying opinions on audio are probably
rather close to yours. It was specifically what I came to see as
your appalling way of arguing, that led me to start posting in this
group, because I regard a bad advocate for one's position as far
more damaging than any opponent of it.
End Quoted Message

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
"John Atkinson"
wrote
in message
oups.com
Powell wrote:
Unfortunately, this does not explain your
continued personal harassment toward Arny.

"Continued personal harassment"? It saddens me to
learn that that is how someone views my public

Recent gratuitous harrasment by John Atkinson ....snip

Atkinson can't bear to see the truth repeated.

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
"John Atkinson"
wrote
in message
oups.com
Powell wrote:
Unfortunately, this does not explain your
continued personal harassment toward Arny.

"Continued personal harassment"? It saddens me to
learn that that is how someone views my public

Recent gratuitous harrasment by John Atkinson ....snip

Atkinson can't bear to see the truth repeated.

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

Arny, you are proving yourself either duplicitous or a careless editor.

The quote above regarding "constructive" that you attribute to John was the
opening paragraph of the quotation in his post, done by an earlier poster.
Since the header of the older post was ahead of the quote above, and since
you have snipped the remainder of that post, I believe that you may have
altered the text and attributed it to John deliberately. If so, for shame!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson

Arny Krueger wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

I did not write the text above attributed to me by Arny
Krueger. It was taken from a 1999 post by Paul
Bamborough.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

Blind post reading noted.
Atkinson was not the one who said that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,aus.hi-fi
George M. Middius

John Atkinson said:

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

I did not write the text above attributed to me by Arny
Krueger. It was taken from a 1999 post by Paul
Bamborough.

Thank's Mr. Aktinisn for, admitting "Pual Bambrobrough was you're
scokpuppet. Something about a wild bunch of falsified lie's. LOl! Its like
a sheep, wouldnt deliver a calf for a famrer like you Mr. Atkisnon.

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
ScottW

"John Atkinson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

I did not write the text above attributed to me by Arny
Krueger. It was taken from a 1999 post by Paul
Bamborough.

Too bad... a constructive post would be good.

I for one... am a bit tired of repetitive psycho analysis
or Arny... I've moved on to psychoanalysis of those
who seem forever entrapped in a need to psychoanalyze
Arny. How could seemingly intelligent people get
so sucked into to this never-ending endeavor?
Even George...once tireless now appears to have
tired of analyzing and just accepts Arny for what he
is.

The analogy would be deLudos speakers tests...
its no longer interesting to show that speakers sound
different... preference and why is more interesting.

Well its no longer interesting to dissect Arny...

ScottW

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

Steven Sullivan said:

You haven't seen much high-end audio journalism, have you?

Not recently.

The last time I saw something remotely resembling high-end journalism
was some 1988 issue of The Absolute Sound, which I found a very
entertaining read at the time.

Have things changed much since then?

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Sander deWaal said to Sillybot:

You haven't seen much high-end audio journalism, have you?

Not recently.

The last time I saw something remotely resembling high-end journalism
was some 1988 issue of The Absolute Sound, which I found a very
entertaining read at the time.

Have things changed much since then?

Silly is shocked -- SHOCKED! -- to learn that audio companies actually pay
for advertising in commercial audio magazines.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
oups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote
in message
ups.com
This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

I did not write the text above attributed to me by Arny
Krueger. It was taken from a 1999 post by Paul
Bamborough.

True, my regrets.

Howeever, that oesn't change the fact that the first post was in fact
written by you, John.

Do I need to look up more posts where you attacked me in a response to
someone else to make my point?

Or is proving that you lied once, sufficient?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Ayn Marx

George M. Middius wrote:
John Atkinson said:

This post is intended to be constructive. You may have
trouble accepting this, but I would request you to
consider it on exactly that basis.

Blind self-righteousness noted.

I did not write the text above attributed to me by Arny
Krueger. It was taken from a 1999 post by Paul
Bamborough.

Thank's Mr. Aktinisn for, admitting "Pual Bambrobrough was you're
scokpuppet. Something about a wild bunch of falsified lie's. LOl! Its like
a sheep, wouldnt deliver a calf for a famrer like you Mr. Atkisnon.

;-)

The delusion is you imagining that this trivial crap is of any interest
or relevance to Aus.Hi-Fi newsgroup. Please stop posting this crap or
we'll have more of rec.audio.opinion's lunatics crossposting such
drivel.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Ayn Marx" wrote in message
oups.com...

The delusion is you imagining that this trivial crap is of any interest
or relevance to Aus.Hi-Fi newsgroup. Please stop posting this crap or
we'll have more of rec.audio.opinion's lunatics crossposting such
drivel.

It interested you.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

"John Atkinson" wrote

why you spend so much time screening
all his posts, during business hours, when it
has no relationship to your specific job
responsibilities or to Primedia, INC interests?

Sorry Mr. Powell, I wasn't aware that I
answered to you regarding how I organize
my time and when it is or isn't appropriate
for me to post to Usenet.

Well, of course that can't be true (unaccountable).

I wasn't saying I am unaccountable, Mr. Powell. I was
saying that I have no responsibility to _you_
personally to account for how I manage my time.

Evoking the eleventh Commandment, *Thou shall
not question*. No further discussion is possible,
right?

When you act unprofessionally in your capacity as
Editor you are also representing Adam Marder -
Stereophile President, Dave Colford - Stereophile
Publisher. And to a lesser extent Dean Nelson -
President of PRIMEDIA, INC.. None of these
people are aware of your antics here.

Really? Before he left the company in January,
Adam followed my online activities. I don't report
to Dave Colford so haven't been keeping him
informed. Do you think I should? The person I
currently report to is Rob MacDonald, VP of the
Primedia group that publishes Stereophile, who in
turn reports to Steve Parr, president of the motoring
group.

Yea, so? You missed the forest for the
trees, again.

If you wish to complain to someone at Primedia
about what you regard as my "unprofessional conduct"
or the one occasions I finally lost my temper with
Arny Krueger, Mr. Powell, then you are welcome to
contact either or both of these gentlemen.

Calm yourself, John. You're not giving me or
anyone else on this board rights they didn't
already have.

If your think your professionalism is beyond
reproach try adding a tag line to your signature
(Editor, Stereophile) which conveys *How is My
Driving 1-800-000-000* and I will withhold
future criticism, if any.

BTW, what is "one occasions"... did you mean
to write_many_occasions?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Powell

"John Atkinson" wrote

Sommerwerck summerized it distinctly by saying,"I
quickly discovered that you couldn't have a
conversation with John about_anything_. He refused
to engage in argument, Socratic or otherwise.
Yup, I hear that, William.

It looks as if you hear what you want to hear,
Mr. Powell. :-(

Sounds strange to me that you would say such
a thing based on what you do for a living.

I have read your opinions of my behavior at the
debate and on-line, and I note your feeling it
inappropriate for someone like myself to declare
my professional affiliation when I post to the
newsgroups.

No, the substance of your synopsis is wrong.

I've tried to discuss this situation in terms of
business principles and ethics. It would seem
that this is not a good perspective for a common
understanding between us. Either you'll have
to take night classes or give me a different
language to frame the conversation.

Unfortunately, this does not explain your
continued personal harassment toward Arny.

"Continued personal harassment"? It saddens
me to learn that that is how someone views
my public responses to Arny Krueger's postings.
Oh well. :-(

Not another *:-(*!

Why can't you accept Arny's limitations as
well as what he brings to the table?

Are all of the animosities toward Arny
justified just because you're trying to stop
a "tend to "leak" into the real world outside
Usenet?" I don't think neurotic anxiety fits
the criteria for good mental health on your
part, do you?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson

Powell wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote
why you spend so much time screening
all his posts, during business hours, when it
has no relationship to your specific job
responsibilities or to Primedia, INC interests?

Sorry Mr. Powell, I wasn't aware that I
answered to you regarding how I organize
my time and when it is or isn't appropriate
for me to post to Usenet.

Well, of course that can't be true (unaccountable).

I wasn't saying I am unaccountable, Mr. Powell. I was
saying that I have no responsibility to _you_
personally to account for how I manage my time.

Evoking the eleventh Commandment, *Thou shall
not question*. No further discussion is possible,
right?

You have every right to discuss whether or not I post
during normal business hours, Mr. Powell. But I do
not see why I am obliged to respond to your
questions on the matter.

If you wish to complain to someone at Primedia
about what you regard as my "unprofessional conduct"
or the one occasions I finally lost my temper with
Arny Krueger, Mr. Powell, then you are welcome to
contact either or both of these gentlemen.

what is "one occasions"... did you mean
to write_many_occasions?

No. I was referring to the posting you quoted earlier
in this thread.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile