Default Infinity Basslink II Problem : stops working

I bought Basslink II from an authorized online dealer, I had it
professionally installed.
The problem is that it only works for the first 3-5 seconds then stops
working (even if it is powered up). It works for longer time only if
the car is shut off and the head's volume is less than 50%. Otherwise
if the car is running it works 3-5 seconds each time I have to shut the
head off then on.
I checked the connections, power, fuse. Installer said everything is
installed properly.
Cables are connected with both rear speakers, Installer said it is ok
even though instructions say they should be connected to Front and Rear
speakers of my PT Cruiser. Does it make a difference? What seems to be
to source of the problem? Is it possible that the unit is defective?
Please HELP!!

Xekutr

You shouldn't have to find out what the problem is, it should be the job
of the person who you paid to install. I would take it back to them
until they get it right.

--
Xekutr
Xekutr's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36325

Xekutr wrote:
You shouldn't have to find out what the problem is, it should be the job
of the person who you paid to install. I would take it back to them
until they get it right.

But I had a BASSLINK (not II) Installed and it stopped working after a
year of good bass, then I bought Basslink II to replace it.
The first unit (BASSLINK) did the same thing before it broke (even if
it still powers up, there is no bass). is it the car's electric system?
battery not feeding enough power? I haven't checked the battery in 3
years.
I don't think the installer will do more than wiring it up correctly.
Any DIY suggestions will help.

Thanks

MZ

Just curious...

Why would you buy the same thing after it crapped out in only a year's time?

Anyway, doubt it's the battery. It wouldn't explain why it's shutting off
even at low (or no) volume levels. Are you sure it's not the head unit at
fault? If turning the HU off and on resolves the problem, it implicates the
HU...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Xekutr wrote:
You shouldn't have to find out what the problem is, it should be the job
of the person who you paid to install. I would take it back to them
until they get it right.

But I had a BASSLINK (not II) Installed and it stopped working after a
year of good bass, then I bought Basslink II to replace it.
The first unit (BASSLINK) did the same thing before it broke (even if
it still powers up, there is no bass). is it the car's electric system?
battery not feeding enough power? I haven't checked the battery in 3
years.
I don't think the installer will do more than wiring it up correctly.
Any DIY suggestions will help.

Thanks

joe.ker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought Basslink II from an authorized online dealer, I had it
professionally installed.
The problem is that it only works for the first 3-5 seconds then stops
working (even if it is powered up). It works for longer time only if
the car is shut off and the head's volume is less than 50%. Otherwise
if the car is running it works 3-5 seconds each time I have to shut the
head off then on.
I checked the connections, power, fuse. Installer said everything is
installed properly.
Cables are connected with both rear speakers, Installer said it is ok
even though instructions say they should be connected to Front and Rear
speakers of my PT Cruiser. Does it make a difference? What seems to be
to source of the problem? Is it possible that the unit is defective?
Please HELP!!

It does not matter if the front inputs are not connected, but the sound is
better if they are.
Without the fronts connected you will have no bass when you fade to the
front.
as far as the shut off problem. how is the remote turn on hooked up?

joe.ker

wrote in message
ups.com...

Xekutr wrote:
You shouldn't have to find out what the problem is, it should be the job
of the person who you paid to install. I would take it back to them
until they get it right.

But I had a BASSLINK (not II) Installed and it stopped working after a
year of good bass, then I bought Basslink II to replace it.
The first unit (BASSLINK) did the same thing before it broke (even if
it still powers up, there is no bass). is it the car's electric system?
battery not feeding enough power? I haven't checked the battery in 3
years.
I don't think the installer will do more than wiring it up correctly.
Any DIY suggestions will help.

Thanks

Did you use the same wiring from the old unit?
will the basslink work at low volume and shut off at higher volume?

Yes I used the same wiring, but verified that connections are Good
Yes it will work for longer time at low volume then shuts itself off.

Thanks

No remote turn on is hooked, Basslink powers on from signals comming
from rear speakers Automatically

Just curious...

Why would you buy the same thing after it crapped out in only a year's
time?

Anyway, doubt it's the battery. It wouldn't explain why it's shutting
off
even at low (or no) volume levels. Are you sure it's not the head unit
at
fault? If turning the HU off and on resolves the problem, it
implicates the
HU...

wrote in message

ups.com...

Because I liked the product and price and thought that BASSLINK II
would be improved. I will try another HU and see if I still have the
same problem. the HU heats up quickly, is that a problem. I have
Factory stock Infinity in PT Cruiser

joe.ker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes I used the same wiring, but verified that connections are Good
Yes it will work for longer time at low volume then shuts itself off.

Thanks

Is there a fuse at the battery connection?
if there is, I would change that, even if it looks good.

I did change it after I blew the first one (it is a 25A fuse)

Still no luck

It doesn't actually shut it self off powewise, it stops emitting bass.
The power led of BASSLINK II turns on when I turn on the HU, but stops
emitting bass after 3-5 seconds

joe.ker

wrote in message
oups.com...
I did change it after I blew the first one (it is a 25A fuse)

Still no luck

Then the unit may not be sensing the signal from the head unit correctly.
you can try using a line level adapter to convert the speaker level to rca's
and try those inputs.
you will also need a remote turn on wire also.

It doesn't actually shut it self off powewise, it stops emitting bass.
The power led of BASSLINK II turns on when I turn on the HU, but stops
emitting bass after 3-5 seconds

Then the unit may not be sensing the signal from the head unit correctly.
you can try using a line level adapter to convert the speaker level to rca's
and try those inputs.
you will also need a remote turn on wire also.

**************

How so? even if all 4 speakers work perfectly with HU?

joe.ker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Then the unit may not be sensing the signal from the head unit correctly.
you can try using a line level adapter to convert the speaker level to
rca's
and try those inputs.
you will also need a remote turn on wire also.

**************

How so? even if all 4 speakers work perfectly with HU?

If all the power connections are good as you say, then the problem is in the
signal. best guess at this point is in the basslink signal input
not sensing correctly. So try RCA's with adapters
Was this unit new or used?

Mark

Check the phase of the basslink output (make sure all the + and - are
correct.. Maybe try disconnecting the left or right channel from Basslink.
does the bass improve?

If they are out of phase, it's going to reduce the bass output and sound
like it's not working.

Cheers

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought Basslink II from an authorized online dealer, I had it
professionally installed.
The problem is that it only works for the first 3-5 seconds then stops
working (even if it is powered up). It works for longer time only if
the car is shut off and the head's volume is less than 50%. Otherwise
if the car is running it works 3-5 seconds each time I have to shut the
head off then on.
I checked the connections, power, fuse. Installer said everything is
installed properly.
Cables are connected with both rear speakers, Installer said it is ok
even though instructions say they should be connected to Front and Rear
speakers of my PT Cruiser. Does it make a difference? What seems to be
to source of the problem? Is it possible that the unit is defective?
Please HELP!!

MZ

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, joe.ker wrote:
If all the power connections are good as you say, then the problem is in the
signal. best guess at this point is in the basslink signal input
not sensing correctly. So try RCA's with adapters
Was this unit new or used?

He's had two basslinks fail in the same manner. Perhaps it's not the
basslink but the HU.
MZ

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Mark wrote:
Check the phase of the basslink output (make sure all the + and - are
correct.. Maybe try disconnecting the left or right channel from Basslink.
does the bass improve?

If they are out of phase, it's going to reduce the bass output and sound
like it's not working.

And it takes 3-5 seconds for it to kick in?
joe.ker

"MZ" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, joe.ker wrote:
If all the power connections are good as you say, then the problem is in
the
signal. best guess at this point is in the basslink signal input
not sensing correctly. So try RCA's with adapters
Was this unit new or used?

He's had two basslinks fail in the same manner. Perhaps it's not the
basslink but the HU.

Because he had the same problem with both, that's what made me think it was
power related

MZ

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, joe.ker wrote:
He's had two basslinks fail in the same manner. Perhaps it's not the
basslink but the HU.

Because he had the same problem with both, that's what made me think it was
power related

But it's not shutting off.
Mark

I don't know how he has it hooked up.. (it wasn't explained in great detail)

Maybe if basslink isn't active on all four speakers, and the unit takes a
few seconds to turn on / start processing the signal, you'd get the delay?

It's a quick and easy test to eliminate incorrect phase as the cause of his
problem. Worth a shot in my book. :-)

"MZ" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Mark wrote:
Check the phase of the basslink output (make sure all the + and - are
correct.. Maybe try disconnecting the left or right channel from
Basslink.
does the bass improve?

If they are out of phase, it's going to reduce the bass output and sound
like it's not working.

And it takes 3-5 seconds for it to kick in?

Chris Mullins

sounds like a problem i had for a while with my pioneer HU and crappy
pioneer amp (35x2) exact same problem and i found out that the pioneer's
rear preamp outputs could be changed from speaker to line level and it was
on speaker. I switched it and haven't had the problem yet.

"MZ" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, joe.ker wrote:
He's had two basslinks fail in the same manner. Perhaps it's not the
basslink but the HU.

Because he had the same problem with both, that's what made me think it
was
power related

But it's not shutting off.

2 people agreed on the HU as the source of the problem
I'm gonna get a new HU and see.
I need an MP3 playa in the ka anyway.
Take it to the installer (who is by the way popular in this town) and
ask him to do it all over again with a new HU.

Thank ya'll for your input about this NEW product ;-)

Mark.. the Installer connected both labeled "Rear" and "Front" inputs
of the Basslink (consists of 8 cables : 4 each) to Left Rear and Right
Rear speakers; 2 cables comming from each input to each speaker.

"MZ" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Mark wrote:
Check the phase of the basslink output (make sure all the + and - are
correct.. Maybe try disconnecting the left or right channel from
Basslink.
does the bass improve?

If they are out of phase, it's going to reduce the bass output and sound
like it's not working.

And it takes 3-5 seconds for it to kick in?

UPDATE: Changed HU to a Kenwood mp3/CD player today for $249.99
Installer did an RCA connection this time direct to HU
Now it works but not as powerful as before. He only connected 2 RCAs,
will go tomorrow and ask to add other 2 RCA connections...

This SH*T cost me more than getting a better COMPLETE system.

Bought BASSLINK II for $307 with FREE shipping ONLINE.

joe.ker

wrote in message
oups.com...
UPDATE: Changed HU to a Kenwood mp3/CD player today for $249.99
Installer did an RCA connection this time direct to HU
Now it works but not as powerful as before. He only connected 2 RCAs,
will go tomorrow and ask to add other 2 RCA connections...

This SH*T cost me more than getting a better COMPLETE system.

Bought BASSLINK II for $307 with FREE shipping ONLINE.

It will be lower because the your not going through the head unit amp.
you may have to adjust the gains on the basslink
Adding the second set of RCA's will not make it louder.
It will let you have bass when you fade to front or back.

frontline@nospam

Also If the rears are connected out of phase they cancel each other so
adding the rear may make it louder and its much harder for the
installer to get RCAs out of phase.
Each channel I added on the bench increased the output on the last one
I tested.
Jeff