Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hugh Cowan

Default Digital Audio Cable Question(s)

Hello,

I am not an audio expert by any stretch of the imagination (okay, I am
probably not even considered an Audio guy), but I have a few questions
which I *hope* are not to basic to ask.

I come from a computer background and I used to teach a Computer
Networking class / course so I have some knowledge of cables and
networks (although it may be a case of a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing).

First off -- is it better to use the Fiber-Optics cable or the Coaxial
cable for hooking up Digital Audio (ie: connecting my DVD player to
the Receiver). Both the DVD player and the Receiver have connections
for both methods so I am not sure if there is any difference??

I was in an Electronics store checking out the price of different
cables and the salesman told me that the Fiber-Optics cable would give
you much better sound. Now I don't know if I am comparing apples to
apples or not, but from my computer background, because it is digital
information being sent I don't know how one method would provide
better sound over the other (as it's a digital signal). Either the
signal gets through or it doesn't? (not counting errors -- does
Digital Audio include error correction information at all?)

Secondly, what are the specs for the Coaxial cable?? Do you need to
buy a "Digital" Audio Coaxial cable?? I would assume that using a
standard "Cable" cable (RG8 -- I think) would not necessarily work,
but what about coaxial network cable.

I have a number of leftover cables from my network teaching days -- I
think that when we made the cables we use RG58 (or RG59 -- can't
remember for sure) cable. I know that it was Category 3 network cable
that we made. Is that good enough??

Also, does the connectors have to be RCA (I didn't think coaxial
cables even used RCA connectors -- I have never seen, nor heard of
their use before until now). The network cables I have use the BNC
style connectors on the ends. Could I use those or would I need (if
it can be done) to change the BNC to RCA connectors?

I don't mind buying a cable, it just seems silly to buy one when I
*could* have a whole bunch of them sitting in my basement (of course I
am also curious as well).

As I mentioned above, I don't know if I am confusing technologies or
not as I have only ever worked with Networking Cables and computers --
but I would think that they would share some of the same
characteristics / properties?

Thanks so much,

Hugh

Audio Myths was "System I'm designing - two questions" Les Car Audio 3 May 28th 04 08:19 AM
FS: 400 Closeouts!! Video Game, Computer, Mobile A/V, Personal A/V Nexxon Car Audio 0 April 30th 04 07:53 AM
Gallons of Snake Oil malcolm Audio Opinions 3 February 17th 04 08:41 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
digital audio output & old adcom amp....upgrade necessary? geo. smiley Audio Opinions 1 August 12th 03 04:15 PM