Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serial # 19781010

Default Reset "PROTECT" on Onkyo TX-SV434 receiver?

The left speaker wires on my Onkyo TX-SV434 receiver were shorted out
while the unit was under power (don't ask, it involves kids). There
was a spark at the wire terminus and the receiver went dead
(sound-wise). The display said "PROTECT" which I know is the protect
mode for Onkyo. I searched around on the Net for reset info, but
nothing was immediately apparent.

Two tactics that I found on the Net and tried we

On my Onkyo, turn the unit on, push and hold Video-1, then push
Speaker A. It will respond with 'CLEAR'. Mine is still stuck in
Protect mode, but maybe this will help someone.

HOLD IN THE VIDEO-1 BUTTON WHILE POWERING UP...

However, neither of these worked. I did get the "CLEAR" reading, but
the unit powered down immediately.

I opened up the unit, but the fuse is apparently intact (could it
still be burned out, though?), and there are no obvious "switches".
So, what do you think? Should I just get ready to send the unit to
the shop?

Thank you for your help, Tom