Posted to rec.audio.misc
Serial # 19781010

Default Reset "PROTECT" on Onkyo TX-SV434 receiver?

The left speaker wires on my Onkyo TX-SV434 receiver were shorted out
while the unit was under power (don't ask, it involves kids). There
was a spark at the wire terminus and the receiver went dead
(sound-wise). The display said "PROTECT" which I know is the protect
mode for Onkyo. I searched around on the Net for reset info, but
nothing was immediately apparent.

Two tactics that I found on the Net and tried we

On my Onkyo, turn the unit on, push and hold Video-1, then push
Speaker A. It will respond with 'CLEAR'. Mine is still stuck in
Protect mode, but maybe this will help someone.

HOLD IN THE VIDEO-1 BUTTON WHILE POWERING UP...

However, neither of these worked. I did get the "CLEAR" reading, but
the unit powered down immediately.

I opened up the unit, but the fuse is apparently intact (could it
still be burned out, though?), and there are no obvious "switches".
So, what do you think? Should I just get ready to send the unit to
the shop?

Thank you for your help, Tom
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias

"Serial # 19781010" wrote in message
[...]

It's a blown amp channel. Time for a repair. If it's not worth spending up
to around 150.00 or so, maybe time for a new receiver.

Mark Z.
(Authorized Onkyo serviver - Wichita, Ks.)

Posted to rec.audio.misc
DaveW

It sounds like you burned out the Protect circuitry. Time for a visit to
repair it.

--
DaveW

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias

How does one 'burn out the protect circuitry' by shorting speaker wires?

The protection circuit is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, protect
the speaker(s) from damage in the event of an amplifier failure. One amp
channel (at least) is damaged.

Mark Z.