John La Grou

Default Good Value Bass Guitar Combo Amp?

A college age guy who works here part time is looking for a bass
guitar combo amp. His budget is around $200. Used gear is fine.
Application is acoustic jazz ensemble work, and maybe big band now and
then.

What's a good value out there these days? Brands and models?

Thanks all,
JL
bigamps

John La Grou wrote:
A college age guy who works here part time is looking for a bass
guitar combo amp. His budget is around $200. Used gear is fine.
Application is acoustic jazz ensemble work, and maybe big band now and
then.

What's a good value out there these days? Brands and models?

I have an SWR LA-15 with a 15" speaker, it was about $280 new. I can
pick it up and carry it by myself, and I think it sounds OK. They also
make an LA-12 with a 12" speaker, somewhere in the $230 range new. Used
these amps would be just about right for what you described, check eBay.

EganMedia

A college age guy who works here part time is looking for a bass
guitar combo amp. His budget is around $200. Used gear is fine.
Application is acoustic jazz ensemble work, and maybe big band now and
then.

I just sold an SWR Workingman's 12 on ebay for $250. I've seen them go for
closer to $200. For that budget I can't think of a better sounding, more
reliable amp for the purposes you described.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

hank alrich

John La Grou wrote:

A college age guy who works here part time is looking for a bass
guitar combo amp. His budget is around $200. Used gear is fine.
Application is acoustic jazz ensemble work, and maybe big band now and
then.

What's a good value out there these days? Brands and models?

I don't know if you find one used for that money, but the SWR Babay Blue
I've been using for a few years has served well in comparable musical
settings.

--
ha

John La Grou

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:06:49 GMT, John La Grou wrote:

What's a good value out there these days? Brands and models?

Thanks to all who replied. Looks like we found a 12" SWR combo amp for
him.

JL