Arny Krueger

Default Recording from vinyl or tape

"Ted" wrote in message
news:WnR4c.2843$G3.24276@localhost

I'm new to this and would appreciate some advice. I would like to
record some vinyl records and cassette tapes to CD. What is the best
method to take the output from my phono or tape player? Directly
from the RCA jacks into the sound card or via the receiver headphone
jacks?

RCA jacks are preferred. Headphone jacks have the advantage that you might
have more flexibility with setting levels for recording

Any recommendations for sound cards? I have a pretty low end
sound card and I have Roxio's Easy CD Creator Platinum 6.

Given that one source is cassette tape, the bar is not set real high. Why
not try a few tapes with what you have and take a listen?

I did try the phono and tape outputs directly into the sound card,
but the volume was very low.

You can boost the volume after recording using this softwa

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

or this

http://www.goldwave.com/

It was better with the receiver
headphone jack. If directly to the sound card is better, what would
improve the volume?

You can use this product as a signal booster. Its quality is good enough
that it won't degrade your recording:

http://www.boostaroo.com/

It is also known as Radio Shack part number 330-1109 3-Way Headphone Volume
Booster.

Mark D. Zacharias

You can adjust the input and record levels by using your Windows mixer.
Double-click the volume control icon on your taskbar. This will bring up an
expanded mixer. Depending on your version of Windows, you probably won't see
the record level on that first page. Click on the OPTIONS toolbar, select
Properties, select Recording. Uncheck all inputs you are NOT using to
record. Click OK, then a record level slider will appear. Use this to set
your record level.

Here's some generic advice on recording, from an earlier post.
Don't forget, if your phono cartridge is of the magnetic variety, and most
decent ones are, you'll need to use a phono preamp, or the phono section of
an amp or receiver, which is then plugged into the AUX (NOT Mic) input of
the sound card.

Generic advice:

1. Make sure the tape player is in good playback condition. Often these old
ones have channels cutting out due to scratchy controls or bad internal
switches. At the least it would be good to run the output level control back
and forth, and cycle the machine through several record/play cycles (and
auto-reverse cycles, if the machine is so equipped) in order to sort of
"loosen up" every thing, wipe the internal switch contacts and so forth.

2. Plug the output of the tape deck to the LINE IN of your sound card. This
would usually require an adaptor to go from standard RCA plugs to 1/8"
stereo mini plug. Remember, use the LINE IN and not the MIC input.

3. Every sound card should have software somewhere on your system to record
WAV files. You'll have to select the LINE IN as your recording source. This
is usually done by double-clicking on the volume control icon on your
taskbar, then selecting via the drop-down menus whether to show recording or
playback controls. Select Recording, and make sure LINE IN is selected as
your input source. It might be necessary to repeat this on whatever mixer
software came with your sound card.

If you don't have any sound card software to record the WAV's I'm sure you
can download some, people on this group will be happy to recommend some.

4. Simply start the recording software and put the deck in PLAY mode and
make a test recording. Adjust the levels to get full sound without
overload - there should be meters of some sort. This will take a little
practice. There is software out there to trim or otherwise edit the
resulting file.

5. REMEMBER: record the WAV at 44.1 kHz 16 bit or it can't be burned to a
cd.

Post again with any questions. Most of us are happy to help.

Mark Z.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Ted" wrote in message

[...]

Richard Kuschel

I'm new to this and would appreciate some advice. I would like to record
some vinyl records and cassette tapes to CD. What is the best method to
take the output from my phono or tape player? Directly from the RCA jacks
into the sound card or via the receiver headphone jacks? Any
recommendations for sound cards? I have a pretty low end sound card and I
have Roxio's Easy CD Creator Platinum 6.
I did try the phono and tape outputs directly into the sound card, but the
volume was very low. It was better with the receiver headphone jack. If
directly to the sound card is better, what would improve the volume?

Thanks.

It depends on the output of your receiver and the input sensitivity of your
soundcard.

The average level of your recording should read about -14dB below full scale
on the computer.

If it is lower than that you need some more preamplification to match levels.

That is what yur headphone jack is providing, though most headphone outputs
don't sound all that great.

A clean line amp would be a better though more expensive proposition.
Richard H. Kuschel

Surinder Singh

"Ted" wrote in message
I'm new to this and would appreciate some advice. I would like to record
some vinyl records and cassette tapes to CD. What is the best method to

Try the following web sites.

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm

http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

-s

Abortion Tickles

Try the following web site.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Abortion Tickles

Try the following web site.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Abortion Tickles

Try the following web site.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Abortion Tickles

Try the following web site.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

High quality audio cassette to cd recording Rael Pro Audio 5 April 9th 04 03:52 PM
setup for recording marital-arts training sessions Avi Nahir Pro Audio 28 March 30th 04 09:44 AM
CD verses vinyl - help clear dispute WideGlide Pro Audio 188 March 13th 04 09:23 PM
Tape Problem Geoley Pro Audio 4 August 9th 03 07:45 PM
Cassette tape Player Recording Heads James Roberts Marketplace 0 July 20th 03 09:36 AM