arizona cowboy

Default XM vs Sirius satellite radio for best audio?

could someone be kind enough to explain the encoding compression techniques
and other reasons why XM or Sirius satellite radio is sonically better than
the other one?

which is your favorite and tell why, engineering wise

thanks,

wild bill

John A. Weeks III

In article , arizona cowboy wrote:

could someone be kind enough to explain the encoding compression techniques
and other reasons why XM or Sirius satellite radio is sonically better than
the other one?

which is your favorite and tell why, engineering wise

I have both in my car. XM consistently sounds better than Sirius
in my experience. The older Sony XM sounded the best, and my new
Delphi is still pretty good sounding. I have an Audiovox Plug and
Play Sirius unit.

What I hear is that Sirius is very bass-heavy, and it has some
kind of an echo in it. It almost sounds like they are doing
a remote broadcast, and bringing the streams in over a phone
line, where as XM sounds like they are going directly from
the studio to the uplink. Both are way over-compressed, but
Sirius seems to compress far more than XM.

I do like some of the Sirius programming more than I like the
XM programming. XM has too many commercials, and too few
commercial free stations. Sirius has a lot of foul and profane
language, so it isn't appropriate for family situations.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Ron Bean

"John A. Weeks III" writes:

I do like some of the Sirius programming more than I like the
XM programming. XM has too many commercials, and too few
commercial free stations. Sirius has a lot of foul and profane
language, so it isn't appropriate for family situations.

Sirius also has NPR and PRI. I don't know if that's everything
they distribute, or just selected shows.

(Most of the programming distributed by NPR and PRI is
independantly produced, and has no connection to NPR news--
I don't know if this affects what they can distribute on Sirius.)

John A. Weeks III

In article , Ron Bean
wrote:

Sirius also has NPR and PRI. I don't know if that's everything
they distribute, or just selected shows.

There are (3) channels, NPR Now, NPR Talk, and PRI Radio.
Most of the shows that I know of are there, including the
popular ones like Car Talk, Motley Fools, Fresh Air, Talk
Of The Nation, etc. The two big ones that are missing are
the daily news shows, including Morning Edition and All
Things Considered. This is one key highlight in favor of
Sirius.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

arizona cowboy

Sirius also has NPR and PRI. I don't know if that's everything
they distribute, or just selected shows.

There are (3) channels, NPR Now, NPR Talk, and PRI Radio.
Most of the shows that I know of are there, including the
popular ones like Car Talk, Motley Fools, Fresh Air, Talk
Of The Nation, etc. The two big ones that are missing are
the daily news shows, including Morning Edition and All
Things Considered. This is one key highlight in favor of
Sirius.

well, IMHO, Car Talk is the biggest one of all, so great to hear that it is
there, but why in the HELL would they leave out ATC & Morning Edition???

that would be like if your local FOX affiliate said "we have decided not to
carry NFL football nor any NASCAR races.

WTF???