Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arnt Arnt is offline

Default using usb harddisk on micro hifi system with usb port for flashdrives

Hi,

does anyone actually know, preferably from experience, if it is
possible to connect a usb HD to a micro 'hifi' system which has a usb
connector meant for flash drives?

I've heard many say it 'should' be possible, it would be logical that
it would work etc. The one person I've heard who know someone who
tried it said it didn't work, but was foggy on the details.

I too would think it should work, but I can imagine several reasons it
would work: size limitations, format limitations (fat, fat32?), and
usb device type identification (plugging in a mouse lets windows know
to receive mouse output from it, and not to ask it for a list of
files... so perhaps an usb HD has a different type ID then a flash
drive?).

Anyone tried? worked? didn't work? links on the net or good sites (my
searching foo came up empty handed)?

Arnt
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Arnt" wrote ...
does anyone actually know, preferably from experience, if it is
possible to connect a usb HD to a micro 'hifi' system which has a usb
connector meant for flash drives?

I've heard many say it 'should' be possible, it would be logical that
it would work etc. The one person I've heard who know someone who
tried it said it didn't work, but was foggy on the details.

I too would think it should work, but I can imagine several reasons it
would work: size limitations, format limitations (fat, fat32?), and
usb device type identification (plugging in a mouse lets windows know
to receive mouse output from it, and not to ask it for a list of
files... so perhaps an usb HD has a different type ID then a flash
drive?).

Anyone tried? worked? didn't work? links on the net or good sites (my
searching foo came up empty handed)?

I would expect that it would also depend on the particular
"hifi system" you are looking at, so there likely is no generic
answer. Since there is no industry standard (IIRC), they are
free to design it any way they wish.