Posted to rec.audio.tubes
west west is offline

Default The Pits

What can I use (do) to minimize the effects of pitting in a chrome chassis?
Thanks.

west

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

west wrote:
What can I use (do) to minimize the effects of pitting in a chrome chassis?
Thanks.

west

Chrome or nickle-plate?

Not much if the plating is failing or has failed. You can have it
replated, you can polish it as best you can, and you can wax it if
appropriate. But once the plating begins to fail, all you can do is
*maybe* slow it down. And your location and indoor climate also has a
lot to do with it.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

Hi RATs!

Pits happen. If you build a huge fence around them, you may keep the
dinosaurs out ...

Happy Ears

Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Iveson Ian Iveson is offline

west wrote

What can I use (do) to minimize the effects of pitting in a chrome
chassis?

Using just one ground connection might help. According to many an
apocryphal tale, a motorcycle engine can be completely dissolved by
returning current through the cylinder head.

Anyway, it may help to remember that metal corrosion is an electrical
phenomenon. Earth currents, and eddy currents induced by electrostatic
or magnetic fields, can act as accelerants.

Good chrome has an underlay of copper and nickel and very rarely pits.

cheers, Ian