Arne

Default Loud noise from amplifier

Hi! I got a 5 channel surround amplifier with a problem in 2 of the
channels. The connections are split into front/surround on the left,
center in the middle and front/surround on the right. Whenever i
connect the source-rca and speaker to the two right hand channels i
get a loud noise just like the noise you get when connecting a guitar
to a amplifier sticking the jack-plug half way in. When disconnecting
the rca-plug there is no noise from the speaker. What can be wrong,
and how fix this?
Mark D. Zacharias

Sounds like either a bad cable, or maybe a bad solder (ground) connection
where that input plugs in.

If the sound continued with no input plugged in, I was going to suggest a
problem with that amp channel.

Mark Z.

"Arne" wrote in message
om...
Hi! I got a 5 channel surround amplifier with a problem in 2 of the
channels. The connections are split into front/surround on the left,
center in the middle and front/surround on the right. Whenever i
connect the source-rca and speaker to the two right hand channels i
get a loud noise just like the noise you get when connecting a guitar
to a amplifier sticking the jack-plug half way in. When disconnecting
the rca-plug there is no noise from the speaker. What can be wrong,
and how fix this?

Robert Gault

Arne wrote:

Hi! I got a 5 channel surround amplifier with a problem in 2 of the
channels. The connections are split into front/surround on the left,
center in the middle and front/surround on the right. Whenever i
connect the source-rca and speaker to the two right hand channels i
get a loud noise just like the noise you get when connecting a guitar
to a amplifier sticking the jack-plug half way in. When disconnecting
the rca-plug there is no noise from the speaker. What can be wrong,
and how fix this?

This most probably indicates a a ground loop or the equivalent. The
obvious questions are why do you need to make the connections while both
sets of equipment are turned on? Is there any problem during use?

It is odd that you don't notice the problem with the left channel unless
you have never tried to plug the right side equipment into the left channel.

There are two things you can try which might help but won't remove the
root of the problem. If the plug for the right channel equipment is
two-prong, flip it over in the socket. This can remove significant AC
from the chassis. Second, take some wire and connect the chassis of the
offending equipment to the amp. This will prevent the "half-in"
condition while you use the rca connector.

Arne

Robert Gault wrote:
This most probably indicates a a ground loop or the equivalent. The
obvious questions are why do you need to make the connections while both
sets of equipment are turned on? Is there any problem during use?

I tested with the same cd-source and the same loudspeaker on alle the
channels. While amp turned off, plugging in the rca and speaker on the
first channel, turning on the amp would give clean crisp sound without
any hiss or hum. Turning off the amp and connect the source and speaker
to #2 channel and so on. On the #4 and #5 connection (located by itself
on the far right) an awful loud motor-like sound (music barely audible
in the background) and two loud pop-like sounds before silence when
turning off.

There are two things you can try which might help but won't remove the
root of the problem. If the plug for the right channel equipment is
two-prong, flip it over in the socket. This can remove significant AC
from the chassis. Second, take some wire and connect the chassis of the
offending equipment to the amp. This will prevent the "half-in"
condition while you use the rca connector.

Are listening to stereo music now using the #2 and #3 channel just now
and everything is all right..

Robert Gault

Arne wrote:
Robert Gault wrote:

[...]

OK, that reads differently from the original message. You have a real
problem on the #4&5 inputs to the amp. Unless you have the schematics
for the amp, there may not be much you can do. At the very least, open
up the amp and look for any obvious damage on the #4&5 inputs/circuits.

Arne

Robert Gault wrote:
OK, that reads differently from the original message. You have a real
problem on the #4&5 inputs to the amp. Unless you have the schematics
for the amp, there may not be much you can do. At the very least, open
up the amp and look for any obvious damage on the #4&5 inputs/circuits.

And obvious damage it was.. The #4/5 rca had no ground because of a
small metal spade lever had slippeded out on the backside. Just push it
in, and everything was ok..

Mark D. Zacharias

"Arne" wrote in message news:1087849799.905247@gurney...
Robert Gault wrote:
OK, that reads differently from the original message. You have a real
problem on the #4&5 inputs to the amp. Unless you have the schematics
for the amp, there may not be much you can do. At the very least, open
up the amp and look for any obvious damage on the #4&5 inputs/circuits.

And obvious damage it was.. The #4/5 rca had no ground because of a
small metal spade lever had slippeded out on the backside. Just push it
in, and everything was ok..

*ahem*
"Sounds like either a bad cable, or maybe a bad solder (ground) connection
where that input plugs in."

Nailed that one.

tee-hee.

mz

Arne

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
*ahem*
"Sounds like either a bad cable, or maybe a bad solder (ground) connection
where that input plugs in."

Nailed that one.

Yes, I know. Thanks!

Nasty thing. it blew one of my speakers.. b&w tweeter.

Clean Power? Dylan X Car Audio 99 January 7th 04 04:02 PM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM
Noise - alternator, shrieking, etc with Delphi XM satellite system news.adelphia.net Car Audio 0 July 8th 03 07:07 AM