apock627

Default Home theater PC basics

Got a few basic questions I hope somebody can help with.
I'm building a system based on a home theater PC. On the audio side I have
an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card, which does not decode Dolby Digital or
DTS directly. (Apparently this can be worked around by using an app called
VLC for DVD playback). However for normal CD's it should be fine, and it
does decode Circle Surround II.
For speakers I have picked up a 5 speaker surround system (Accusound) which
is pretty good quality, 150W per speaker

Q1. If I'm happy to avoid/work around Dolby Digital and DTS, do I really
need an external receiver? Can I just get by with some power amps for these
speakers? The card has 8 analog speaker outputs. I'm hoping that a future
driver upgrade will take care of these other formats.

Q2. Apart from these decoding issues, will adding in a receiver improve
sound quality at all, if the signal is run from the sound card anyway?

Q3. Assuming I do get a receiver, would I have to get one which is CSII
capable (I believe the Marantz SR6200 is) to take advantage of this
capability in the card?

Thanks to anyone who can help
apock627

sodderboy

Q1. If I'm happy to avoid/work around Dolby Digital and DTS, do I really
need an external receiver? Can I just get by with some power amps for these
speakers? The card has 8 analog speaker outputs. I'm hoping that a future
driver upgrade will take care of these other formats.

A1. yes you could. The card outs could feed stereo inputs of three
old stereo receivers, or combination of mono/stereo amps.

Q2. Apart from these decoding issues, will adding in a receiver improve
sound quality at all, if the signal is run from the sound card anyway?

A2. If used purely for the power amps, the "receiver" might not add
quality over some beefy older power amps. Imagine a cheap old Crown,
running at 50% dedicated to a sub. No mid-level receiver can compete
for power or damping.

Q3. Assuming I do get a receiver, would I have to get one which is CSII
capable (I believe the Marantz SR6200 is) to take advantage of this
capability in the card?

A3. No. You would not need to decode twice. The receiver WOULD have
to have discreet inputs, equal to the number of card outputs you want
to use-5.1, 7.1, etc.

I would question the whole idea in the context of a "home theater".
That describes a room, with one remote(hopefully!) controlling an
integrated system with A/V from DVD, VTR, CD, SACD, CASS, DAT etc. My
family and home theater clients would not go for a PC in the equation,
unless it was purely an input device- games, surfing, etc. A
convergance is on it's way, but not quite yet.
In the context of a desktop home studio or rockin' game station, then
the PC card idea is good. The limitation is that it has only one
stereo line input, so you get only what discs the PC will play, plus
one stereo external. Just always turn your amps off before the PC-
or CRAAAAACK!

David

I would question the whole idea in the context of a "home theater".
That describes a room, with one remote(hopefully!) controlling an
integrated system with A/V from DVD, VTR, CD, SACD, CASS, DAT etc. My
family and home theater clients would not go for a PC in the equation,
unless it was purely an input device- games, surfing, etc. A
convergance is on it's way, but not quite yet.
In the context of a desktop home studio or rockin' game station, then
the PC card idea is good. The limitation is that it has only one
stereo line input, so you get only what discs the PC will play, plus
one stereo external.

Good point. I guess if you wanted a turntable and a microphone there would
be a problem. I can't think of too much else you couldn't do through the PC,
but I'm sure others here can.
Just always turn your amps off before the PC-
or CRAAAAACK!

Thanks for the tip!

Good advice - wish I'd had it before I started. This is definitely for
people who don't mind fiddling with their computers. However there are some
other advantages, and I think there will be more in a few years. In my case,
Pros:
Audio server - all CDs, MP3s etc on it, and no compatibility issues. Haven't
looked into dedicated servers , but I think the PC alternative would have to
be more flexible and upgradable.
Network connection for directly downloading music.
Viewing digital photos (and videos when I can afford it) on the TV and
central storage
Burning CDs and DVDs (not any copyrighted material of course)
TV - the digital TV reception card was cheaper than a set top box (we have
terrestrial broadcast digital in Australia - AC3 sound)
Personal video recording - push of a button time delay, recording. This is
seriously useful for not wasting time watching ads. Some minor glitches with
recording AC3, but it's pretty good.
Can easily add a projector instead of a TV when I win the lotto and get a
big house. Maybe even sooner.
Gaming yes, although I'm not a huge gamer
Web access for email, weather, this
With some effort, full quality streaming audio and video to a wireless
connection laptop, any other networked computer in the house.
Future possibilities with bluetooth to mobiles etc
In general, upgrading size, quality and connectivity of PC components cheap
compared to hard-wired components.

Cons: As things stand you do need to be a computer fiddler, and not get
calls at work from your spouse because he/she can't get the DVD started for
the kids.
You can still do most of these things with hard-wired components more
reliably.
VCR still a problem, although with a TV card you can easily convert and
store.
As I've just discovered it is still difficult to avoid a receiver - I hate
replication!. How about a 7.1 channel power amp. Do you know of any? Don't
think the wife will go for 3-4 amps in the lounge room somehow. I don't know
much about audio, but it seems likely to me that a fast PC could soon exceed
mid-range receivers for most of their functions, with more user control, and
leave the amplification to a good amp. The specs for THD and S/N ratio in my
AUS$150 sound card already beat most $1000 receivers, and some people would
still just be using these receivers as a pre-amp.

sodderboy

You are talking about the convergence of the PC with the home theater.
There is a great article at forbes.com about this convergence, and
how simple OSS machines are being considered for the task. Kind of
making a smarter receiver (I know you want to avoid them) rather than
a dumber PC
http://forbes.com/nosection/forbes/2004/0202/092.html
PC's are to tweaky-techy now to integrate into a family system. They
are powerful, but a simpler dedicated entertainment machine will fit
the bill better. No matter how tweaked I get my PC, it still crashes
from time to time. Can't say that about any of my home theater
components. Like I said, my computer is an external device for now-
audio outs only.
When I design a system for "grandpa", I loop RF video through
successive machines, so all he has to do is power the one he wants-
Web TV, or DVD, or VCR. Lower audio/video quality, but easiest to
use.
If you are talking family, then go towards the receiver/ one remote
idea. As a tech I know that I get better signal with the RGB inputs
to my TV, but it adds one more remote and three more "if-then"
decisions for others who want to use it. As well, I leave the
protracter, tape rule, and speaker brackets at work. I put the
speakers behind the sofa, next to the plant, under the table, and
balance volumes at the receiver. I hate to see speakers and wires and
junk more than my wife! I am not mixing sound for 5.1, I just wanna
see Top Gun. I have found that it works just as well.
Happy tweaking!