EAKuhlmann

Default Quad tube tuner - question

I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest
Phil Allison

"EAKuhlmann"

I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

** Looks just like a Quad AM 3 - partner to the FM3.

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9130-tun...-QUA/9130CMQUA
-PIC.htm

......... Phil

Dave xxxx

"EAKuhlmann" wrote
I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest

Its a real Quad FM2 tuner (tubes) very nice, did not sell for long before
replaced by Quad FM3

They sell for £120 to £180

regards

Dave

Dave xxxx

"Dave xxxx" wrote i

"EAKuhlmann" wrote
I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest

Its a real Quad FM2 tuner (tubes) very nice, did not sell for long before
replaced by Quad FM3

They sell for £120 to £180

regards

Dave

Had another look at advert (do no speaker German) its a Quad FM2 box with
other bits in it, so yed its a fake, will paste picture to Quad just in case
they did a short pre production item using a Quad FM2 box

Ed

Mike Coatham

"Dave xxxx" wrote in message
news

"Dave xxxx" wrote i

"EAKuhlmann" wrote
I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest

Its a real Quad FM2 tuner (tubes) very nice, did not sell for long

before
replaced by Quad FM3

They sell for £120 to £180

regards

Dave

Had another look at advert (do no speaker German) its a Quad FM2 box with
other bits in it, so yed its a fake, will paste picture to Quad just in

case
they did a short pre production item using a Quad FM2 box

Ed

If it's a fake then I've got 2 of them . It is in fact the European
version of the AM3 Tuner - having LW,MW & SW. The Overseas version has MW,
SW1 & SW2. They only made 2000 of them in total from 1969 to 1973. The AM3
Tuner is basically the AM2 Valve Tuner in the same livery as the 33 & FM3
styled equipment.

Rich Sherman

http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.rop...am_3_tuner.htm

Hi the

My German is very limited but follow this link and it should answer your
question about this classic piece.

Rich

"EAKuhlmann" wrote in message
I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest

John Byrns

In article , "Dave xxxx"
wrote:

"Dave xxxx" wrote i

"EAKuhlmann" wrote
I´ve never seen such a quad tuner - a fake??

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=3267622 728

ernest

Its a real Quad FM2 tuner (tubes) very nice, did not sell for long before
replaced by Quad FM3

They sell for £120 to £180

regards

Dave

Had another look at advert (do no speaker German) its a Quad FM2 box with
other bits in it, so yed its a fake, will paste picture to Quad just in case
they did a short pre production item using a Quad FM2 box

Actually it isn't an FM tuner at all, it is a Quad AM-3 LW/MW/SW tuner, it
is mislabeled in the description as a Quad AM-2 which is a different
beast.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
John Byrns

In article , "Mike Coatham"
wrote:

"Dave xxxx" wrote in message
news

"Dave xxxx" wrote i

"EAKuhlmann" wrote
[...]

And isn't the AM-3 also self powered, whereas the AM-2 wasn't self powered.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Mike Coatham

"John Byrns" wrote in message
In article , "Mike Coatham"
wrote:

" If it's a fake then I've got 2 of them . It is in fact the

European
version of the AM3 Tuner - having LW,MW & SW. The Overseas version has

MW,
SW1 & SW2. They only made 2000 of them in total from 1969 to 1973. The

AM3
Tuner is basically the AM2 Valve Tuner in the same livery as the 33 &

FM3
styled equipment.

And isn't the AM-3 also self powered, whereas the AM-2 wasn't self

powered.

Regards,

John Byrns

Hi John,

Yes the AM3 is self powered - that is the only electrical difference between
it and the AM2 (got a couple of those too). And to be absolutely pedantic,
the AM3 was fitted with the flat 2 pin mains connector which plugs into the
back of the 33 Control Unit mains outlets. If you had a 33/303/FM3
combination and wanted to add the AM3 to the line up, the 2 mains outlets on
the 33 would have been used for the the 303 and FM3 leaving nowhere to
switch the AM3 from. But Quad catered for that by providing another 2
outlets on the back of the AM3. So to get everything switched on via the 33
Control Unit, you used its mains outlets for the 303 and AM3 and plugged the
FM3 into one of the AM3 outlets. It sounds a bit messy but it works
elegantly in practice. I've got a couple of sets of the 33/303/FM3 & AM3
combination set up that way and they work extremely well.

Mike