Posted to rec.audio.pro
Szymon £ukowski Szymon £ukowski is offline

Default Microphones for tenor & soprano saxophones

Hi everyone. That's my first post here, but I'm reading the newsgroup
since 2006. I'd like to ask you about using condenser microphones for
both tenor & soprano saxophones, bass clarinet and clarinet. I'm
looking for a mic which will work fine in the homerecording
applications and on live performance. I considered some mics from
various manufacturers, especially AKG, Rode & Sennheiser. Here's the
list of mics which are in my budget range:

AKG:
Perception 400, C2000, C3000, C4000

Audio Technica:
AT3035

Sennheiser:
MD421U-2,

Rode:
NT1000, NT2000, NT1-A, NT2-A

Electro-Voice RE-20

I have no experiences with these microphones, except of Rode NT1-A,
and it worked very well in the studio; I've seen some player like
Joshua Redman using RE20 & MD421 for miking their saxophones, but
personally I hadn't a chance to test them in live performance
situation. Could you recommend me something which will work good? Or,
maybe you have other mic suggestions?

Best Regards,
Szymon £ukowski.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,

I have no experiences with these microphones, except of Rode NT1-A,
and it worked very well in the studio; I've seen some player like
Joshua Redman using RE20 & MD421 for miking their saxophones, but
personally I hadn't a chance to test them in live performance
situation. Could you recommend me something which will work good? Or,
maybe you have other mic suggestions?

Go, right now, and try the RE-20 and the MD421. You'll find the RE-20
has better gain before feedback than the 421.

If you really, really need more gain before feedback, look into the MD441.

Also, try the Beyer M160, but be aware that it's pretty delicate and needs
to be treated carefully. I know that's not always possible. It will have
a more forward sound than the original MD421 or the RE-20.

Note that the new MD421 Mk. II is nothing like the original 421, and
should be avoided.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] rsmith@bsstudios.com is offline

On Mar 17, 7:48*am, Szymon Łukowski wrote:
[...]

Older MD421 (not the new one), RE20, MD441, into a good preamp.
Personally I reach for the MD441 first, into a Great River MP2.

bobs

BS Studios / SoundSmith Labs
we organize chaos
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Szymon £ukowski" wrote in message

Here's the
list of mics which are in my budget range:

AKG:
Perception 400, C2000, C3000, C4000

Audio Technica:
AT3035

Sennheiser:
MD421U-2,

Rode:
NT1000, NT2000, NT1-A, NT2-A

Electro-Voice RE-20

The RE20 will do a good job. Sennheiser's earlier model of the MD421 will
too, but the new model (Mark 2) has a shrieky top end which I don't like.
Forget the AKGs. The NT2a will probably be okay, but I'd choose the RE20 or
a used MD421 original model first, both for sound quality and ruggedness.

You might also consider a Shure SM81.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] ad.audio@gmail.com is offline

On 17 mar, 18:17, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Szymon £ukowski" wrote in message

Hi everyone. That's my first post here, but I'm reading the newsgroup
since 2006. I'd like to ask you about using condenser microphones for
both tenor & soprano saxophones, bass clarinet and clarinet. I'm
looking for a mic which will work fine in the homerecording
applications and on live performance. I considered some mics from
various manufacturers, especially AKG, Rode & Sennheiser. Here's the
list of mics which are in my budget range:

Studio Projects C-4

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

beyer m260, no doubt

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

Szymon £ukowski wrote:
[...]

Okay, call me stupid, but I really like the old sm57 on horns, and
through a decent preamp like the RNP or better, the mic will sound far
superior to anything a typical board pre will offer.

Sometimes a simple arrangement works best.

I do like the RE 20, though. It's a good choice for many different
applications.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
David Light David Light is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 07:48:49 -0700 (PDT),
=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Szymon_=A3ukowski?= wrote:

Hi everyone. That's my first post here, but I'm reading the newsgroup
since 2006. I'd like to ask you about using condenser microphones for
both tenor & soprano saxophones, bass clarinet and clarinet. I'm
looking for a mic which will work fine in the homerecording
applications and on live performance. I considered some mics from
various manufacturers, especially AKG, Rode & Sennheiser. Here's the
list of mics which are in my budget range:

I almost always use Senn. MD421 on sax. Mine are old ones, I don't
know about the new ones.

I wish I could find a worthy clip on type mic for sax that would
allow the players to not have to pay attention to staying on mic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

nebulax wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article
,

Also, try the Beyer M160, but be aware that it's pretty delicate and needs
to be treated carefully. I know that's not always possible. It will have
a more forward sound than the original MD421 or the RE-20.

Huh? I thought the M160 was supposed to be really flat. I've never owned
one, but I did have a M260, and it was almost dull sounding (in that nice
ribbon sort of way).

It's pretty flat, and it has no presence peak. Neither does the original
MD421 or the RE-20. But it'll be more blatty on horns than the MD421
and RE-20 are.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:56:18 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

In article
,

I have no experiences with these microphones, except of Rode NT1-A,
and it worked very well in the studio; I've seen some player like
Joshua Redman using RE20 & MD421 for miking their saxophones, but
personally I hadn't a chance to test them in live performance
situation. Could you recommend me something which will work good? Or,
maybe you have other mic suggestions?

Go, right now, and try the RE-20 and the MD421. You'll find the RE-20
has better gain before feedback than the 421.

If you really, really need more gain before feedback, look into the MD441.

Also, try the Beyer M160, but be aware that it's pretty delicate and needs
to be treated carefully. I know that's not always possible. It will have
a more forward sound than the original MD421 or the RE-20.

We tried the m160 and a Schoeps cmc641 on an alto sax last year here.

I thought the m160 (newly reribboned at the factory) would be killer. The
Schoeps won, hands down.

You can hear it on Karyn Oliver's "Oh America."

http://tinyurl.com/2lfk5g

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl cedricl is offline

[...]

If you can find an old Sennheiser 409 for clarinets, those are great.
They work on saxes too but I use a Studio Projects C1 on the tenor
with great results.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geezer[_2_] geezer[_2_] is offline

On Mar 18, 7:48*pm, cedricl wrote:

If you can find an old Sennheiser 409 for clarinets, those are great.

The MD 409 is one of my all time favorite mics. Love it on brass &
percussion. Have used it as a vocal mic, as well. I have one I'll
never part with, only wish I'd bought two, back when. The other
dynamic I'd try out would be the beyer M88.

As for modern condensers, I'd probably put up one my AT 4051s, a Blue
Mouse & a Dragonfly, and my oktava 012 w/ the LOMO cap, and see which
one I liked the sound of.

-glenn
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick Tim Padrick is offline

"Fletch" wrote in message
Szymon £ukowski wrote:
[...]

57? Ugh. And I was thinking that you were the man ;-) I'll take an Audix
D4 over a 57 on anything.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:48:43 -0400, cedricl wrote
(in article
):

[...]

can that be heard anywhere?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Mar 17, 10:48*am, Szymon Łukowski wrote:
[...]

Branford Marsalis' tour rider has had a pair of RE20's speced for
his Soprano sax. Used spaced, not X/Y.

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Szymon £ukowski Szymon £ukowski is offline

Hi everyone,

I've tested some mics during our sound engineering classes in my
Academy of Music. I've played to the following mics: Sennheiser 421,
two Neumanns U87 (one of them was 'looking' to the bell of instrument,
another stood 1/2 m further and was angled), AKG C414, Schoeps (don't
remember the model) and DPA 3503 Stereo Kit. I found 421 sounding very
flat, with almost no dynamic range. I compared two 421 (vintage &
new), and both sounded just awful on tenor - the sound was very
metallic (maybe that was the distortion problem?) and without the
body. U87 (the bell one) was one of two good (naturally) sounding
mics; the second one which worked well was AKG C414. The sound on C414
was very soft, with great depth and very well-balanced (I tried all
the mics without the mixing desk correction and no reverb - only raw
signal to ProTools) on the whole range of instrument. U87 sounded
fine, very similar to C414, but it had a increased amount middle range
tones - is it normal in these mics? Maybe on the stage and with a
touch of reverb it will sound different. Anyway, sound was smooth, and
very clear without any distortions. I haven't tested RE-20 due to that
when I was there, the mic was hired for somebody; I hope that I will
be able to test RE-20 & RE-27.

Regards,
Szymon Łukowski

P.S.: I've heard from my friend that Oktava microphones tend to work
very good on saxophones, and they are very well priced, but I don't
know that brand and I haven't tested them yet. Do you have any
experiences with them, or maybe further recommendations? Any input
will be greatly appreciated.

On 20 Mar, 02:11, WillStG wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:48 am, Szymon ƙukowski wrote:

[...]

Szymon Ā£ukowski.