Kofi Anim-Appiah

Default Audiophile-Grade Large Polystyrene Caps - Where to Find?

What is a good source for large (.5uF) polystyrene caps like those used by
C-J and other high-end audio manufacturers?

Thx

Kofi

Lou

Michael Percy Audio and Partsconnexion both carry MultiCap RTX polystyrene
caps, they are the best sounding styrene caps I know of, and the only ones
in production currently. Some has begun making styrene in the form needed
for caps again, so others may begin making them soon too.

--
Best Regards,

Lou
"Kofi Anim-Appiah" wrote in message
What is a good source for large (.5uF) polystyrene caps like those used by
C-J and other high-end audio manufacturers?

Thx

Kofi

Bruno Putzeys

Drop polystyrene... I've yet to hear a polystyrene that sounded better than
a good polypropylene. Fairly good PP caps are EVOX-RIFA PHE428 (the PHE430
were world's best imho but were taken out of production ages ago). Most
exotica caps are PP too. See www.rtie.com for a company that rolls'em for
some of the fancier brands.
The new fad is teflon. www.customelec.com is one supplier of these. Haven't
heard any of these yet though.

"Kofi Anim-Appiah" wrote in message
What is a good source for large (.5uF) polystyrene caps like those used by
C-J and other high-end audio manufacturers?

Thx

Kofi

Joseph Oberlander

Lou wrote:

BTW, thanks for those sources!

--
Best Regards,

Lou
"Bruno Putzeys" wrote in message

Drop polystyrene... I've yet to hear a polystyrene that sounded better

than

a good polypropylene. Fairly good PP caps are EVOX-RIFA PHE428 (the PHE430
were world's best imho but were taken out of production ages ago). Most
exotica caps are PP too. See www.rtie.com for a company that rolls'em for
some of the fancier brands.
The new fad is teflon. www.customelec.com is one supplier of these.

Different Q: who currently makes the smallest, highest capacity capacitors?
IIRC there are a couple of new types that are several times more efficient
thatn the old ones we grew up with.

Bruno Putzeys

If you want the beefiest film caps, they are "unlytics" from
http://www.eci-capacitors.com/ . I don't know what they sound like but they
must be the dream for tube amp builders. The most space-efficient elcaps are
most certainly the Ultracaps from Epcos. These are for short term energy
storage in electric cars etc.