Eric Plankton

Default connecting LA-2A, Layla24, Mackie 1402 VLZ

I want to hook together the following hardware
1) Layla24 computer interface
2) Mackie 1402 VLZ mixing board
3) Powered speakers (Genelec 1030A)
4) Universal Audio LA-2A compressor/limiter

I have installed Layla24, apparently successfully.

The powered speakers have XLR inputs, which I have connected to the
XLR outputs of the Mackie.

To connect the Layla into the board, I'm thinking:

1) Take main line level outs on the Mackie (L & R) and plug them into
inputs 1 and 2 on the Layla24.

2) Take line level outs 1 and 2 on the Layla24 and plug them into any
pair of line inputs on the Mackie.

All of these are 1/4", so that seems to fit.

Is that right?

If so, how should I integrate the LA-2A, which has XLR in (female) and
XLR out (male)?

I'm thinking it should go into an insert, which is quarter inch female
on the Mackie.

So do I need a Y connector that goes from a quarter inch stereo male
(for the Mackie insert) to two XLRs, one male and one female (for the
LA-2A)? That's what I'm thinking, with the hot on the male XLR (which
will go into the female input on the LA-2A) going to the tip of the
quarter inch, and the hot on the female XLR (which will go to the male
output on the LA-2A) going to the ring of the quarter inch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I want to hook together the following hardware
1) Layla24 computer interface
2) Mackie 1402 VLZ mixing board
3) Powered speakers (Genelec 1030A)
4) Universal Audio LA-2A compressor/limiter

The powered speakers have XLR inputs, which I have connected to the
XLR outputs of the Mackie.

The Mackie has control room outputs that are meant to connect to the
speakers. Get adapters and use them. Don't use the wrong output just
because you don't have the right cable. It will work, but you won't
have full control over your gains.

To connect the Layla into the board, I'm thinking:

1) Take main line level outs on the Mackie (L & R) and plug them into
inputs 1 and 2 on the Layla24.

This will be the same as your speakers if you feed the speakers from
the XLRs, so when you change the listening volume at the mixer, you'll
change the record level. Not good. See above. You can use the main
outputs to feed the Layla, but this should be independent of your
monitor speakers.

2) Take line level outs 1 and 2 on the Layla24 and plug them into any
pair of line inputs on the Mackie.

That'll work. Or you could plug them into a stereo input pair.

All of these are 1/4", so that seems to fit.

That's important of course, but the size of the plug doesn't determine
its function.

Last time I looked, though, the Layla had 8 inputs and 10 outputs, not
counting digital I/O, and you're using only two of them. If it was me,
I'd plug the Layla outputs 9/10 into the tape inputs on the Mackie,
then plug the other outputs into line inputs. You can use the stereo
inputs for some of those. You could connect the ALT3/4 mixer outputs
to two of the Layla inputs, and use the mixer insert sends to feed the
Layla inputs direct from the mic preamps when you have only one mic
going to a channel.

If so, how should I integrate the LA-2A, which has XLR in (female) and
XLR out (male)?
I'm thinking it should go into an insert, which is quarter inch female
on the Mackie.

Typically that's where it would go, but what do you want to do with
the compressor? Compress a source on the way to the Layla input?
Compress a recorded track?

So do I need a Y connector that goes from a quarter inch stereo male
(for the Mackie insert) to two XLRs, one male and one female (for the
LA-2A)? That's what I'm thinking

Something like that. What you're more likely to find, however, is
what's commonly called an "insert cable", which has a 1/4" TRS plug on
one end (that goes into the mixer's insert jack), and two 1/4" TS
plugs on the other (compressor) end. It will be easier for you to
adapt the connectors on the compressor end than to get something that
has two XLRs properly wired to a single 1/4" TRS plug.

Really what you should do is include a patchbay in your system. Once
you get all the inputs and outputs connected to the patchbay, you can
connect anything anywhere with the same type of cable.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )
Arny Krueger

"Eric Plankton" wrote in message
om
I want to hook together the following hardware
1) Layla24 computer interface
2) Mackie 1402 VLZ mixing board
3) Powered speakers (Genelec 1030A)
4) Universal Audio LA-2A compressor/limiter

I have installed Layla24, apparently successfully.

To connect the Layla into the board, I'm thinking:

1) Take main line level outs on the Mackie (L & R) and plug them into
inputs 1 and 2 on the Layla24.

What about exploiting the fact that the Layla has 8 inputs?

Do you have more than 8 inputs hooked up concurrently?