Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

Default understanding crossover capacitors

hi all,

how can i tell which cap cuts off a certain frequency?
is there a table that has the specific frequencies/cap ?

1.0 µF
1.5 µF
2.2 µF
3.3 µF
4.7 µF
6.8 µF
8.2 µF
10.0 µF
15.0 µF
22.0 µF
33.0 µF
47.0 µF
68.0 µF

Posted to rec.audio.car
black300zx black300zx is offline

It depends on the impedence of the speaker. Here's some useful links:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/cust_cr.cfm

http://www.carstereo.com/help/calc_cr.cfm

--
black300zx
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Antispammer" wrote in message
hi all,

how can i tell which cap cuts off a certain frequency?
is there a table that has the specific frequencies/cap ?

1.0 µF
1.5 µF
2.2 µF
3.3 µF
4.7 µF
6.8 µF
8.2 µF
10.0 µF
15.0 µF
22.0 µF
33.0 µF
47.0 µF
68.0 µF

Try here
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "e-nigma" wrote:

"Antispammer" wrote in message
hi all,

how can i tell which cap cuts off a certain frequency?
is there a table that has the specific frequencies/cap ?

1.0 µF
1.5 µF
2.2 µF
3.3 µF
4.7 µF
6.8 µF
8.2 µF
10.0 µF
15.0 µF
22.0 µF
33.0 µF
47.0 µF
68.0 µF

Try here
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

Thats a good chart. Remember this is only a guide. The actual
impedance of a driver at your desired crossover frequency will
usually vary, and some very much. So the actual crossover
frequency may be something else. Electronic crossovers are immune
to this situation, allthough the drivers amplitude and phase still must be considered.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Try here
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=1

Nice link! I'm bookmarking that sucker! Thanks!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

wow....thats what i am looking for...

thanks man!!!!!

one more question though..

so i should get a 9.94uf(2000hz) or a 16.56(1200hz) cap for my 8ohm
tweeters?

the specs of my tweeters;

nominal power handling crossover at 2200hz = 220w/12db, 120w/6db
frequency response = 1400-22000hz (limit 300-50000hz)

Posted to rec.audio.car
RG RG is offline

Go for about 4000 to 5000 hz at a 12db slope. If you are only using one cap
(6db slope) without a coil go even higher. It is not so much about the power
handling as it is about matching it to your midrange. And 1200 to 200 hz is
normally way too low to croos over a tweeter at. And unless you want to get
into fabricating impedance neutral attentuation circuits (aka Lpads) then
you will have a problem matching an a first order (6db) filtered tweeter to
your midrange. In my opinion, you would be much better off just buying one
of the commercially available passive crossover networks that are common on
Ebay. These have tweeter attenuation circuits and can be picked up for about
the same money as you would spend on two good polypropelene caps.

- RG

"Antispammer" wrote in message
wow....thats what i am looking for...

thanks man!!!!!

one more question though..

so i should get a 9.94uf(2000hz) or a 16.56(1200hz) cap for my 8ohm
tweeters?

the specs of my tweeters;

nominal power handling crossover at 2200hz = 220w/12db, 120w/6db
frequency response = 1400-22000hz (limit 300-50000hz)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Antispammer Antispammer is offline

alright! thanks.
will do just that.