Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Default How much does your system mean to you?

Just out of curiosity, how do all of you rate your car's importance to you
in terms of its stereo? For example, I did not fall in love with most of my
cars until I had a decent sound system in them. In fact, I still miss my 97
Explorer, mostly because it had such an awesome SQ system in it (the best
I've owned to date).

My current situation is this: My Maxima, which used to be my primary
vehicle, now sits in the garage most of the time. I use it for long trips,
or when I need to take more than one person somewhere. However, each time I
get into it, I realize how important listening to music in this car is. It
sounds so sweeeeet. I love it more than words can describe. If it weren't
for the system, I don't know if I would have kept this car for as long as I
have.

In my Mustang, I have a nice 5.1 DVD system that may not sound as
musically-SQ oriented as my Maxima, but it does the job of providing
something nice to listen to AND obviously watch a movie...which I can't do
in the Max. However, the car is SO MUCH fun to drive that it really doesn't
need a system at all - although it IS the icing on the cake. I'm sure I'd
change my mind about it not "needing" a system in it if I took it on any
long trips though. In fact, sometimes I leave the stereo turned off
altogether just so I can listen to the engine & exhaust, which is music to
my ears in its own right. Anyway, the Stang has become my primary vehicle
just because I love to drive it so much. I'm sure the newness will wear off
eventually and I won't neglect the Maxima as much as I do now. If the Stang
had a nicer system in it, I'd probably never drive the Max at all.

As far as my S10 goes, it's enjoyable to ride, but the absence of a really
good system limits my enjoyment. Sure, it sounds good to most people and
it's definitely above average, but it doesn't compare to the Mustang, and
not even close to the Maxima. I've taken a few long trips in it, but it's
not the same.

Which brings me to another point. How many of you get so much enjoyment
taking long trips JUST SO you can listen to your system? I usually head
down to San Diego once a year or so, which is a 20+ hour drive, and
listening to music is one of the MAIN reasons I choose to drive and not fly.
If something were to go wrong with the system during the drive down, I think
I would have a nervous breakdown and/or throw a temper tantrum.

Well thanks for endulging me. I thought it'd been a while since someone
posted one of these "opinion" posts. And let's face it, rec.audio.car needs
some sort of pick me up lately.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Which brings me to another point. How many of you get so much enjoyment
taking long trips JUST SO you can listen to your system?

Well Tony, maybe not a REALLY long trip, but I, as a rule, generally don't
like to drive (maybe if I had a new 'Stang I'd feel different). If my wife
and I have to go anywhere together, she usually drives because she loves to
drive. BUT, I do find myself willing to make trips to the store, video
store, etc. by myself JUST because I can listen to my stereo loud (my wife
DOES NOT like bassy music such as techno and rap which are my favorites).

So, unequivocally, yes, my system is VERY important to me. If I didn't have
it, I'm sure it would COMPLETELY change my attitude about driving anywhere.
It is DEFINITELY, the most important part of the car for me.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

mosfet, be the man n ya marriage.lol
you haveta sneek out n make trips just to listen to ya sysyem like you
want.lol
go in there right now! n ask ya wife if you can decide some things
yourself.lol
LOLLLLL.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Thanks for responding, Nick. I'm surprised and disappointed that you were
the only person to respond as of yet (not counting Bob Wald's usual pathetic
post). Speaking of which, how do I block Mr. Wald so that I don't have to
see his responses like you have? I'm using Outlook Express.

I absolutely look forward to my yearly drive down to San Diego. There's
nothing like the open road and a case of 30 or so of my favorite CDs. I'm
not a religious person, but I have to say that these trips can sometimes be
very, very spiritual for me. Without the music, it would be a horrendous
trip to say the least.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1
Amplifiers, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear
Fill, Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 v.3 Sub

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

OK, this is how I add people to my blocked sender list, though I'll bet
there's an easier way to do it. First, highlight and copy the address of
the person you want to block. Then go to Tools, then Messge Rules, then
Blocked List and hit "Add" and you will see a spot to paste in the address
of the person you want blocked.

See ya,

Nick

"Tony F" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

When buying a car, I don't even look at the radio (other than to get
speaker sizes, if it is attached to computer, etc) as I know I'm going
to change it. I'm rather picky about creature comforts of the interior
though. If I'm not comfortable in it, I'm not buying it. Which usually
means leather seats . My '00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is the nicest
I've had so far and I love it. Probably spoiled for anything else to
come. Even the 06 Jeep Commander Limited with NAV pales in comparison
IMHO. I do miss my old 87 Toyata Celica GTS for pure sporty fun though.

But when driving, I can't stand not having something to listen to. I got
XM so I can make those long trips without having to station surf. I hate
constantly swapping CDs, and I've usually listened to them so much I'm
sick of em anyway.

Brandonb
- DVDs are great too. Sopranos has hella bass for the theme song.

Tony F wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

Slightly easier way to do same thing: highlight the message from the
person in question. Pull down the Message menu, and click Block Sender.

Brandonb

"Tony F" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

"Tony F" wrote in message

[...]

I dont know about any of you other guys in this group but i would hate driving if i didnt have my stereo system.That is one of the main reasons i drive besides running errands,and work. there are just to many dumbass's on the roads now i would get to mad without music.I was the same way with my truck I liked it alot but when i got my stereo installed and i heard and got to blast it i instantly loved it way more.My stereo makes driving fun

My cousin recently told me to watch out for the cops because they are
starting to give more sound tickets. Do you guys know if that is true?
or does it just depend on where you live? because i live in san diego
and it would make sence because there are alot of idiots here.

As of right now my stereo isnt expensive.I definitly agree with
MOSFET/Nick on that with spend as little as you can who cares and long
as it sounds good to you.

Also i have a question for you, i just got done installing my system, I
have a dodge dakota 2 door single cab. Right now i am running 2
speakers off the head unit then a sub off an amp. My truck had stock
peakers in the right behind the seats on the side wall part. Iv been
told putting another set of coaxial speakers wouldnt make to big of a
difference in SQ. What would you guys recomend putting in there?
Midbass speakers? or wat and if so who makes a good set of them and
where is a good place to buy them.Also looking to buy a new HU mine is
really old but it was free so i dont care.what kind do you guys
recomend? iv been looking at some Alpines and Pioneers. Who else is
good?

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport
Alpine HU, Eclipse SE8353 Speakers,
Alpine MPR M350 Mono Block Amp,
Orion HP 10" Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

I dont mind driving about 80 miles a day in MY car, but it's pretty
terrible in my wife's.. I COULD take the bus to work in appx the same
amount of time, I'd save about $300 a mo in gas and $130 a mo in
parking, but meh.. I'd rather drive...

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

As of right now my stereo isnt expensive.I definitly agree with
MOSFET/Nick on that with spend as little as you can who cares and long
as it sounds good to you.

Thank you. Obviously, the more you spend, the better your stereo will
likely sound, that's obvious. I FIRMLY believe in the axiom, "You get what
you pay for".

BUT, with the advent of Ebay (and discount online retailers), I have found
that if you are patient (Summer is a TERRIBLE time to buy on Ebay, there are
NO bargains to be found) you can find some REALLY, REALLY, incredible deals.
I mean, it's kind of sad, but there's ALWAYS some poor unfortunate schmuck
who has to unload his stereo fast (got his girlfriend pregnant?) and will
take whatever he can get. I have got some AMAZING deals on Ebay on good
equipment (Alpine, MTX, Kenwood, etc.). So, my point has never been that
cheap gear is as good as expensive gear, but that you DO NOT ALWAYS have to
spend a lot of money to build a good system.

Here's a good example, in 2000 my competition system was stolen (ALONG WITH
THE CAR) in my 1995 Maxima. Fortunately, I had insurance that covered the
stereo. So, in 2001, I bought an entirely new system at Car Toys in Seattle
(I had NOT discovered on-line shopping). I bought a mid-level Alpine HU
(the 7863) for $300, MB Quart PSD Separates for $550, two Rockford Fosgate
Power 360 amps (TERRIBLE AMPS!!!) at $300 per amp, two JL 12W3 subs at $200
per sub, custom enclosure at $150, two 1/2 farad Lightening caps at $70 per
cap, Optima Yellow Top at $160, $250 worth of interconnects (Phoenix Gold)
and cables/connectors, and then $300 for installation. I may not have all
the figures exactly right, but I remember the grand total was a bit over
$2300.

I keep thinking if I had that much to spend NOW, I could do SO MUCH BETTER
ONLINE. Also, I NOW do all the installation myself (I nearly drove the
installation guy at Car Toys crazy hovering over him telling him to do
things differently, that was the last straw for me, and the last time I ever
paid anyone to work on my stereo). Not only do you know the work is done
right if you do it yourself, but it is tremendously satisfying.

And, as you rightly stated, if YOU are satisfied with your system, THAT'S
ALL THAT MATTERS.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car

Troy T. wrote:
My cousin recently told me to watch out for the cops because they are
starting to give more sound tickets. Do you guys know if that is true?
or does it just depend on where you live? because i live in san diego
and it would make sence because there are alot of idiots here.

Depends on where you live, applicable laws in said area, etc.

As of right now my stereo isnt expensive.I definitly agree with
MOSFET/Nick on that with spend as little as you can who cares and long
as it sounds good to you.

Also i have a question for you, i just got done installing my system, I
have a dodge dakota 2 door single cab. Right now i am running 2
speakers off the head unit then a sub off an amp. My truck had stock
peakers in the right behind the seats on the side wall part. Iv been
told putting another set of coaxial speakers wouldnt make to big of a
difference in SQ.

That depends on the speakers and amp running them.

What would you guys recomend putting in there?
Midbass speakers? or wat and if so who makes a good set of them and
where is a good place to buy them.Also looking to buy a new HU mine is
really old but it was free so i dont care.what kind do you guys
recomend? iv been looking at some Alpines and Pioneers. Who else is
good?

Midbass speakers would be good if you can find one that will even fit in
that location. There are a TON of good brands out there that make them.
As for head units, there are also a great many good brands and have
similar build quality now. The best thing to do is to play with them
somewhere that has them and see if the functions, features and
ergonomics are right for you.

1999 Dodge Dakota Sport
Alpine HU, Eclipse SE8353 Speakers,
Alpine MPR M350 Mono Block Amp,
Orion HP 10" Sub

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM