Posted to rec.audio.tech
dancing_bear dancing_bear is offline

Default Philips 977 turntable

Can any diehard Philips turntable fan out there supply a
schematic/repair manual for this table. I have a major speed control
problem with the default (and only) speed available being approximately
90 rpm. All the ICs appearently are not marked, or have had their
identification painted over. As appears typical of Philips, customer
service is non-existent. I am the original purchaser of this piece,
which got very light usage from about 1980 till 1987 or so when it
went into storage. Took it out last year to dub some older records to
CD, and make back up copies to MP3's on my hard drive, and was
disappointed to find it had died in storage. Any help is appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

dancing_bear wrote:
Can any diehard Philips turntable fan out there supply a
schematic/repair manual for this table. I have a major speed control
problem with the default (and only) speed available being
approximately 90 rpm. All the ICs appearently are not marked, or have
had their identification painted over. As appears typical of Philips,
customer service is non-existent. I am the original purchaser of this
piece, which got very light usage from about 1980 till 1987 or so
when it went into storage. Took it out last year to dub some older
records to CD, and make back up copies to MP3's on my hard drive, and
was disappointed to find it had died in storage. Any help is
appreciated.

Generically speaking - check any larger power supply capacitors; ripple from
a bad one could swamp out the motor speed control reference. Clean any
mechanical switches or potentiometers.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
dancing_bear wrote:
[...]

Thanks! You've given me more help in 3 lines then 2 years of dredging
through old Philips sales and service info that I could find on the
web. It would be nice if there was a law that all companies had to post
in a public repository all documentation on a product, be it hardware
or software when they stopped supporting it. Blueprints, schematics,
manuals, PCB artwork....everything. It's amazing what a creative
machinist and a good electronics technician can accomplish with just a
little insight...I had already checked the speed control pots and shot
them with some contact cleaner just as PM, but thanks for the heads up
on the failing supply caps. I'll try to have at again later this week.