Default Brilliant arrangement you must hear

The song is called "A Favor House Atlantic" and the band is Coheed &
Cambria. If you don't recognize the title, but you happen listen to Alt
Rock/Modern Rock Radio you may have heard it...the hook/refrain goes: "Are
you in, or are you out, For them all to know the end of us all..."

Produced & recorded by Michael Birnbaum & Chris Bittner.

Production ain't bad at all... bass could be a little tighter tone-wise,
and the only thing that bugs me is that it sounds like there's a snare
sample that really kinda stands out as a sample (either that or the drummer
hits EXACTLY at the same spot on the head every time), but what really
stands out is the arrangment... brilliant use of single-note guitar
passages as arpeggiated fills all over the song - really nice. Don't know
if that's the band or the producer(s) who came up with that. The player
seems pretty comfortable & confident in his approach with it & he's RIGHT
in the pocket, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's him who came up with it.
****, the guy even has a VIBRATO, ferchrissakes! That's something you don't
hear much of in new bands, for whatever reason.

The other things that stand out to me are the great energy in the track -
really comes across as an excellent first take (though I have no idea if it
is, but you no doubt know what I'm talking about, yes?), and the singer's
vocals... I really like 'em. It's pretty well up there in the registers,
and his annunciation is interesting. This track really ROCKS!

Go spend the $13.99 to get this CD just for that one track. The whole CD
ain't all that bad, IMO, so you might like some of the others, too; but
this is one case where one track is worth the price of admission. As I'm
posting this, I'm on at least my tenth listen to this track.
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records

Mikey

wrote in message .com...
[...]

I hope to hear it soon, but for my money, 2 of the best (non-beatles)
arrangements that quickly come to mind are 70's minor hit "Wildflower"
by Skylark (I believe David Foster was a big part of that), and Don
McLean's Breathtaking cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying" on the "Chain
Lightning" album. McLean almost always had a knockout cover version on
each album - "Cryin In The Chapel" was pretty cool, too.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku
crow

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Do yourself a "favor" and go see them live. They start their headlining tour
with (opening act) "Three"(www.thefamily3.com) starting sometime in Oct and
going all over for 7 - 8 weeks. Josh is an amazing drummer and both
guitarists rock. The bass tone is better live, imo - but what do I know...I
only built the studio they recorded in!

jim eppard (aka josh's dad)

"crow" wrote in message
k.net...

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Hey, "Dad", don't take my mentioning the bass tone as an affront... it's a
matter of personal taste, ya know? I like the stuff a lot, and as you may
have noticed, I had nearly nothing but complimentary things to say about
it.

Good fer yer kid, BTW!
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records
http://www.saqqararecords.com

"Mikey" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

.com...
The song is called "A Favor House Atlantic" and the band is Coheed &
Cambria.

I hope to hear it soon,

Then go do it now, while they still have it linked:

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...vor_house_atla
ntic.mp3

EVERYONE GO DO IT! (seriouosly)
--

Neil Henderson
Saqqara Records
http://www.saqqararecords.com

crow

wrote in message
news

Hey, "Dad", don't take my mentioning the bass tone as an affront... it's a
matter of personal taste, ya know? I like the stuff a lot, and as you may
have noticed, I had nearly nothing but complimentary things to say about
it.

Good fer yer kid, BTW!
--

Neil Henderson

Neil, no offense taken! I actually agree with you on the bass tone. The
mastering job really juiced up the high end in a not so flattering way, imo
as well. Hey, it's my kid, but that don't mean I know anything about this
kind of music! They're selling records...errr, i mean CD's, merch, selling
out shows and basically living the rock 'n' roll life the way they should at
their age. Thanks for the plug!

jepp

Saqqara Records
http://www.saqqararecords.com

Blind Joni

Do yourself a "favor" and go see them live. They start their headlining tour
with (opening act) "Three"(www.thefamily3.com) starting sometime in Oct and
going all over for 7 - 8 weeks. Josh is an amazing drummer and both
guitarists rock. The bass tone is better live, imo - but what do I know...I
only built the studio they recorded in!

It's funny that in all the praise the vocalist gets none. I did a few shows
with them years ago and for me the singers voice...like a young Getty Lee..was
tiring after a short time.
YMMV
John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Bob Cain

OSPAM wrote:

Then go do it now, while they still have it linked:

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...vor_house_atla
ntic.mp3

If you can gimme a link that isn't split, I'll right click
on it and get it.

Thanks,

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Brian Takei

Bob Cain )
in article wrote:

OSPAM wrote:

Then go do it now, while they still have it linked:

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...vor_house_atla
ntic.mp3

If you can gimme a link that isn't split, I'll right click
on it and get it.

Thanks,

Bob

The song didn't do it for me, but in the interest of interest...

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...e_atlantic.mp3

-Brian
Bob Cain

Brian Takei wrote:

The song didn't do it for me, but in the interest of interest...

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...e_atlantic.mp3

Thanks, Brian. I liked it enough to definitely make me want
to see them. I really did like the bass fade and the end
treatment including the LF noise that persists to the end.
It grabbed my attention and kept it.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Arny Krueger

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

OSPAM wrote:

Then go do it now, while they still have it linked:

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...vor_house_atla
ntic.mp3

If you can gimme a link that isn't split, I'll right click
on it and get it.

What's the problem? Laziness, lack of trivial amounts of technical
expertise. or lack of required modest hand-and-eye coordination?

Mondoslug1

Bob Cain )
in article wrote:

OSPAM wrote:

Then go do it now, while they still have it linked:

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...vor_house_atla
ntic.mp3

If you can gimme a link that isn't split, I'll right click
on it and get it.

Thanks,

Bob

The song didn't do it for me, but in the interest of interest...

\

Liked the drummer dad.

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...favor_house_at

lantic.mp3

-Brian

Bill Van Dyk

You never can tell. Personally, I feel that David Foster is the very
essence of everything that is evil about corporate control of pop music,
but that's just me. Which do you like better, "Colour My World" (makes
me cringe) or "25 or 6 to 4"?

My theory is that nobody likes "Colour My World" as much as I love "25
or 6 to 4", but a much larger number of people don't dislike it as much
as some people probably dislike "25 or 6 to 4" and that's why we have
television.

Mikey wrote:

I hope to hear it soon, but for my money, 2 of the best (non-beatles)
arrangements that quickly come to mind are 70's minor hit "Wildflower"
by Skylark (I believe David Foster was a big part of that), and Don
McLean's Breathtaking cover of Roy Orbison's "Crying" on the "Chain
Lightning" album. McLean almost always had a knockout cover version on
each album - "Cryin In The Chapel" was pretty cool, too.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

knud

I clicked that link. Are you sure we are listening to the same song? I hear a
straightforward rock arrangement. I kept waiting for the brilliant parts to
come but they never did. Whats the big deal about the arpeggios? There are a
few here and there in the song, like millions of other songs. If anything this
track seems somewhat retro. Not too bad or anything.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

Jonny Durango

ditto....this ain't exactly "a day in the life"....as far as pop-rock goes
it's a catchy tune with good arrangement but I would shutter to call it
"brilliant"

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"knud" wrote in message
I clicked that link. Are you sure we are listening to the same song? I

hear a
straightforward rock arrangement. I kept waiting for the brilliant parts

come but they never did. Whats the big deal about the arpeggios? There are

few here and there in the song, like millions of other songs. If anything

this
track seems somewhat retro. Not too bad or anything.

"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)

Forty Winks

"Jonny Durango" wrote in

ditto....this ain't exactly "a day in the life"....as far as pop-rock
goes it's a catchy tune with good arrangement but I would shutter to
call it "brilliant"

The king is, indeed, in the all-together as far as I'm concerned.

jerry

Neil, no offense taken! I actually agree with you on the bass tone. The
mastering job really juiced up the high end in a not so flattering way, imo
as well. Hey, it's my kid, but that don't mean I know anything about this
kind of music! They're selling records...errr, i mean CD's, merch, selling
out shows and basically living the rock 'n' roll life the way they should at
their age. Thanks for the plug!

jepp

C&C have been a big influence to this band I'm currently working with,
but I'd have to say this song is not one of their favorites at all.
Still good though! If you have any more info on the recording setup
(instruments, mics used, etc...) I'd surely LOVE to hear about it -
not that the band I'm working with wants to sound like them, just for
curiosity's sake.

RD Jones

The song didn't do it for me, but in the interest of interest...

http://www.coheedandcambria.com/medi...e_atlantic.mp3

-and-

The track is "Everlasting Gaze" by the Smashing Pumpkins.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/canichesnoirs/EGsample.mp3 - 1,8 mo
(a simple edit where you can hear the two choruses of the track)

It's hard to tell from that low-fi sample,

Well it's not a lo-fi sample
it's a well encoded 192 kbps MP3 and it does a fair justice to what you hear
on the track.
the overcompression may sound like digital compression artifacts but it's
not !

DIGITAL CLIPPING IS BAD FORM.

Forms of distortion that are acceptable when used appropriately:
1. Electric guitar cranked up through a tube amp.
2. Harp w/ Green Bullet through a Twin.
3. Hammond through a Leslie (60 watt tube amp)
4. Transformer saturation used sparingly with some sources.
5. Carbon mic through old-timey tube circuits to simulate telephone
or other lo-fi communication device.
6. AM radio in Daddy's car when teenager is on first date.

You should be starting to get the idea by now ...
These (except the radio) are examples of individual sources though an
individual device,
being used correctly or at least with intent to narrowly shape tone.
It's all about the TONE.

DIGITAL CLIPPING IS UNPROFESSIONAL, NASTY, AND UNNECCESSARY.

Global digital clipping (that done to a complete stereo mix as an
afterthought or lack of thought) is offensive and irreparably destroys
'Tone'. The presence of hard clipping distortion only mimics the sound
of something being played 'too loud'. It's not actually louder until
I turn the volume control up, an activity that we are being robbed of
because by the time it's turned up enough to really be louder it
becomes so grating annoying and fatigueing that I have to turn it
down again. (I know ... I'm too old ... )

Both MP3 files posted have over 10,000 clippppppped samples per
minute.
WAY overmodulated by any reasonable standard.

RD

TonyP

"RD Jones" wrote in message
om...
Both MP3 files posted have over 10,000 clippppppped samples per
minute.
WAY overmodulated by any reasonable standard.

What's worse is that those figures are not uncommon these days.

I wonder who will be the first to release a record that is nothing more than
a varying frequency square wave at constant dfs?
I've often thought of doing it just for kicks :-) But I would be surprised
if someone has already, and been serious!

TonyP.

Johann Burkard

TonyP wrote:
I wonder who will be the first to release a record that is nothing more than
a varying frequency square wave at constant dfs?

Songs For The Deaf from Queens Of The Stone Age isn't far away from that.

Johann
--
Buy brioches ONLY from Brioche Pasquier !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11^2

TonyP

"TonyP" wrote in message
I wonder who will be the first to release a record that is nothing more

than
a varying frequency square wave at constant dfs?
I've often thought of doing it just for kicks :-) But I would be surprised
if someone has already, and been serious!

Correction, that should read "wouldn't be surprised" :-)

TonyP.

Bill Thompson

Bill Van Dyk wrote:
You never can tell. Personally, I feel that David Foster is the very
essence of everything that is evil about corporate control of pop music,
but that's just me.

Which do you like better, "Colour My World" (makes me cringe) or "25 or 6 to 4"?

That's easy - "25 or 6 to 4"

but then the first two albums had sooo many really cool tunes. They were
allowed one or two that didn't operate at the same level.

My theory is that nobody likes "Colour My World" as much as I love "25
or 6 to 4", but a much larger number of people don't dislike it as much
as some people probably dislike "25 or 6 to 4" and that's why we have
television.

That is an interesting theory. Having played both tunes in a high school
rock band I'd have to say that we played "Colour My World" one too many
times sometime around the third time we played it, and we didn't get
enough opportunities to play "25 or 6 to 4"!

The thing is... girls liked to cuddle in nice and close during one of
those tunes... which I think explains why we played it almost every gig.

Bill

Mikey

Bill Van Dyk wrote in message ...
You never can tell. Personally, I feel that David Foster is the very
essence of everything that is evil about corporate control of pop music,
but that's just me. Which do you like better, "Colour My World" (makes
me cringe) or "25 or 6 to 4"?

My theory is that nobody likes "Colour My World" as much as I love "25
or 6 to 4", but a much larger number of people don't dislike it as much
as some people probably dislike "25 or 6 to 4" and that's why we have
television.

I like them both - 25 or 6 to 4 better. I don't like much David Foster
has done in recent years, but I think Wildflower was around '71 -
before D.F. began farting through silk. Let's not judge '71 by '94,
OK?

Mikey