Default Recording guitar outdoors

I'm looking for a mike suitable for acoustic guitar recording in outdoor
locations using a portable digital multitrack and DC power. Portability is
important, so ideally it would be a clip-on or built-in mike, but I'll
consider an external mike. I'm currently using a Korg PXR4, which suffers
from noise on the built-in mike, and poor-quality mike preamp for an
external mike. I plan to use a Baggs Paracoustic preamp/EQ to boost the
mike signal into the Korg's line input. I also plan to get a Fostex MR-8
portable 8-track, but I'll still need a better mike and preamp.

The ideal solution would a small mike I could mount in or on the guitar, but
I need full range and high seisitivity, and minimal noise. It seems like
the lavalier-sized mikes have bandwidth issues, and may be too noisy. Would
I be better off with a podium mike? I need to stay under $200.

If I go with an external mike, a dynamic mike would avoid the need for
phantom power. What's the best bang for the buck for acoustic guitar in a
dynamic mike under $200? Would an SM57 or 58 be sensitive enough and with
not too much noise? I need a lot of gain to record what I do.

Thanks for any input.

Richard Kuschel

I'm looking for a mike suitable for acoustic guitar recording in outdoor
locations using a portable digital multitrack and DC power. Portability
is
important, so ideally it would be a clip-on or built-in mike, but I'll
consider an external mike. I'm currently using a Korg PXR4, which suffers
from noise on the built-in mike, and poor-quality mike preamp for an
external mike. I plan to use a Baggs Paracoustic preamp/EQ to boost the
mike signal into the Korg's line input. I also plan to get a Fostex MR-8
portable 8-track, but I'll still need a better mike and preamp.

The ideal solution would a small mike I could mount in or on the guitar,
but
I need full range and high seisitivity, and minimal noise. It seems like
the lavalier-sized mikes have bandwidth issues, and may be too noisy.

They may be too noisy, but bandwidth is not an issue with many clip on
lavaliere type microphones. Some aren't all that noisy either--DPAand
Countryman are quite usable.

Would
I be better off with a podium mike? I need to stay under $200.

If I go with an external mike, a dynamic mike would avoid the need for
phantom power. What's the best bang for the buck for acoustic guitar in
dynamic mike under $200? Would an SM57 or 58 be sensitive enough and with
not too much noise? I need a lot of gain to record what I do.

Thanks for any input.

If you are recording outdoors, why would you want to clip the mic to the guitar
or use a pickup? If you are going to record outdoors, make it sound likeyou
are doing it on purpose.

Unfortunately, decent microphones and preamps that don't make all kinds of
noise are not inexpensive if they have the capability of being battery powered.

Sound Devices makes an excellent mic preamp that has phantom power, high gain
and clean sound. --It does not fit your budget, but It has enough gain for an
SM57.
Excellence, cost, battery operated--Pick any two.

Richard H. Kuschel