Cristian Soto

Default Problem with Soundblaster Live! and Philips SBC MD 110

Hi,

I bought the $10 microphone Philips SBC MD 110 and can't figure out
how to get it working with my Soundblaster Live! soundcard. I even
bought a mono-stereo adapter at RadioSchack thinking that this would
solve the problem but it didn't. Can somebody help me out?

Thank you!

Cristian
Steven Sena

I bought the $10 microphone...
Wow, that much...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording
"Cristian Soto" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I bought the $10 microphone Philips SBC MD 110 and can't figure out
how to get it working with my Soundblaster Live! soundcard. I even
bought a mono-stereo adapter at RadioSchack thinking that this would
solve the problem but it didn't. Can somebody help me out?

Thank you!

Cristian

Waldo

That mono adapter shouldn't be necessary in order to record some sound at
all.

Plug the mic on the mic input (pink colored???) of your sound card.

I pressume you're a Windows user, if not, another OS should have similar
settings.
Go to Start-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Volume control

Make sure the playback stuff is okay (Volume control & Wave at an
appropriate level and NOT muted).

Then go to Options-Properties
Select "recording" radio button.
Underneath, check Microphone, press Ok

The volume control will change in Recording Control.
Check the Select checkbox under Microphone and move the slider upwards.

Now you should be able to hear yourself via the speakers when talking in the
microphone. If it is still not loud enough, you could go to
Options-Advanced Controls. An "Advanced" button will appear under the
microphone slider. Press that button and check "Microphone boost". This
feature will also increase noise :-(

Waldo

"Cristian Soto" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I bought the $10 microphone Philips SBC MD 110 and can't figure out
how to get it working with my Soundblaster Live! soundcard. I even
bought a mono-stereo adapter at RadioSchack thinking that this would
solve the problem but it didn't. Can somebody help me out?

Thank you!

Cristian

UBALDO SOTO

Hi,

Thank you for yor help. I did everything you said and I still don't hear
anything coming from the mic on my speakers. But when I recorded myself
shouting "testing, testing, testing" into the mic I could barely hear my
voice in the playback. You can hear what it sounds like in
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40082100...t.wav?bfJhCCAB
9jZKaAX0
So that means that there is an input signal, but too weak. Is there a way to
fix it?

Thanks

Cristian

philicorda

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:50:31 +0000, UBALDO SOTO wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for yor help. I did everything you said and I still don't hear
anything coming from the mic on my speakers. But when I recorded myself
shouting "testing, testing, testing" into the mic I could barely hear my
voice in the playback. You can hear what it sounds like in
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40082100...t.wav?bfJhCCAB
9jZKaAX0
So that means that there is an input signal, but too weak. Is there a way to
fix it?

Thanks

Cristian

I would imagine you have the mic plugged into the line input socket,
rather than the mic in. Futz with the gain controls as well.

Incidently, we had a Mercury prize winner in the UK with the exact setup
you have + Cool edit Pro....

L David Matheny

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40082100...JhCCAB9jZKaAX0
So that means that there is an input signal, but too weak. Is there
a way to fix it?

Thanks

Cristian

There may be a setup option somewhere in the SoundBlaster's
drivers to send 5V power to the mic. Make sure that is enabled.

And this question is off-topic for rec.audio.pro. The typical
audio engineer posting there wouldn't even use a $10 computer
microphone to scratch his ass.

malcolm

"L David Matheny" wrote in message
[...]

take away the glossy packaging and you have the same Electret
inserts...........

Arny Krueger

"malcolm" wrote in message
"L David Matheny" wrote in message

And this question is off-topic for rec.audio.pro. The typical
audio engineer posting there wouldn't even use a $10 computer
microphone to scratch his ass.

take away the glossy packaging and you have the same Electret
inserts...........

You forgot the balanced line drivers and regulated power supply derived
power from the phantom source.

Please see http://www.cadmics.com/pdf_files/cad95.pdf page 2 for an
example.

Andrew M.

Cristian Soto wrote:

Hi,

I bought the $10 microphone Philips SBC MD 110 and can't figure out
how to get it working with my Soundblaster Live! soundcard. I even
bought a mono-stereo adapter at RadioSchack thinking that this would
solve the problem but it didn't. Can somebody help me out?

Thank you!

Cristian

If I am not mistaked, the SBLive uses a TRS 1/8" connector on the mic
in. Try pluggin a set of headphones into the mic input and talk into
both ear pieces and see if you get any sound. If you do then I am
guessing that the connector you bought for your mic is incorrect. The
TRS connector on the card isn't a stereo input. I believe it's to carry
phantom to a mic. I am pretty sure the SBLive delivers 5V phantom by
default.

malcolm

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"malcolm" wrote in message
"L David Matheny" wrote in message

And this question is off-topic for rec.audio.pro. The typical
audio engineer posting there wouldn't even use a $10 computer
microphone to scratch his ass.

take away the glossy packaging and you have the same Electret
inserts...........

You forgot the balanced line drivers and regulated power supply derived
power from the phantom source.

Please see http://www.cadmics.com/pdf_files/cad95.pdf page 2 for an
example.

thats part of the glossy packaging makes them work properly