Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Tape v. Digital

Last night (my time) , feeling somewhat shocked and glum, put on CD of
Nora Jones' latest. After midnight (time, not song) so headphones.

Presumably recorded of tape for some reason (nostaligia ?), because what
really stood out to me was the tape hiss that of course faded in and out
each of of each track. And overall listening gave a sense of mellowness,
however that to me was not a positive thing for me - a bit like a veil
across everything especially snare and cymbals, the opposite of
over-bright. Not the clarity and depth I'm accustomed to from of her
first couple of albums. Maybe everything miked less closely, presumably
a deliberate production decision.

Star track musically for me was Don't Be Denied, which may have been
more poignant than normal because of the huge number of people who now
stand to be denied . Or maybe it was the Glenlivet effect.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff:

I can tolerate a tad of tape hiss a lot more
than I can some other things.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 10:40:15 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try noise cancelling headphones!!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/11/2016 3:38 AM, JackA wrote:
On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 10:40:15 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
Last night (my time) , feeling somewhat shocked and glum, put on CD of
Nora Jones' latest. After midnight (time, not song) so headphones.

Presumably recorded of tape for some reason (nostaligia ?), because what
really stood out to me was the tape hiss that of course faded in and out
each of of each track. And overall listening gave a sense of mellowness,
however that to me was not a positive thing for me - a bit like a veil
across everything especially snare and cymbals, the opposite of
over-bright. Not the clarity and depth I'm accustomed to from of her
first couple of albums. Maybe everything miked less closely, presumably
a deliberate production decision.

rec.audio.PRODUCTION.

Grateful somebody (who actually knows) have a listen and tell me I'm not
going deaf.

And she herself was producer. WFT ?

Like tweeters blown, especially on vocals. EWven moreso when not
headphones. Or tea-towel over mic. Or recorded from a different room.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 7:20:01 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
[...]

Producer, like Remaster, another abused word. Remember the 70s group, Pilot? I contact David Paton to ask him exactly what did Alan Parsons do to be credited as the producer for Pilot's hit, "Magic". He was sort of upset of it, and said Alan mixed the song, nothing more!

Vic Flick, UK session guitarist, tells the story of Paul McCartney not even appearing at recording sessions where Paul was credited as Producer. Due to popularity, I guess they used Paul's name just to help promote the songs.

Jack