Neil.N

Default Headphones question

I was playing bass at a session yesterday and ended up with a pair of Sharpe
660-D headphones. These are an archaic set from the seventies, but I loved
them. I've never heard the Bass better through headphones.

I think the part of the trick was the huge solid earcup, and they clamped on
my head like a pair of lampreys, so isolation was excellent. Perhaps some
folks would find them uncomfortable, but they worked for me.

Would anyone know of these headphones, and possibly recommend something
current that would be similar?

The kicker was that the studio owner told me they were $5 at a yard sale.

NeilN

Pooh Bear

"Neil.N" wrote:

I was playing bass at a session yesterday and ended up with a pair of Sharpe
660-D headphones. These are an archaic set from the seventies, but I loved
them. I've never heard the Bass better through headphones.

I think the part of the trick was the huge solid earcup, and they clamped on
my head like a pair of lampreys, so isolation was excellent. Perhaps some
folks would find them uncomfortable, but they worked for me.

Would anyone know of these headphones, and possibly recommend something
current that would be similar?

From your description, they sound not unlike Koss Pro 4s. Share the same vice
like grip on the head, solid cup, mammoth bass, excellent isolation and the Pro
4s go *loud* too.

Tandy have re-introduced a Chinese copy of the 4AA in the UK ( still branded
Koss ) . Maybe that means Radio Shack have them in the US ?

If you want a a pair of cans like that - they're the only ones I can think of.

Graham

Les Cargill

Pooh Bear wrote:

"Neil.N" wrote:

I was playing bass at a session yesterday and ended up with a pair of Sharpe
660-D headphones. These are an archaic set from the seventies, but I loved
them. I've never heard the Bass better through headphones.

I think the part of the trick was the huge solid earcup, and they clamped on
my head like a pair of lampreys, so isolation was excellent. Perhaps some
folks would find them uncomfortable, but they worked for me.

Would anyone know of these headphones, and possibly recommend something
current that would be similar?

From your description, they sound not unlike Koss Pro 4s. Share the same vice
like grip on the head, solid cup, mammoth bass, excellent isolation and the Pro
4s go *loud* too.

Tandy have re-introduced a Chinese copy of the 4AA in the UK ( still branded
Koss ) . Maybe that means Radio Shack have them in the US ?

If you want a a pair of cans like that - they're the only ones I can think of.

Graham

The little Koss portable phones, the KTX Pro, get
respectable bass levels.

--
Les Cargill
Geoff Wood

"Neil.N" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I was playing bass at a session yesterday and ended up with a pair of

Sharpe
660-D headphones. These are an archaic set from the seventies, but I loved
them. I've never heard the Bass better through headphones.

I think the part of the trick was the huge solid earcup, and they clamped

on
my head like a pair of lampreys, so isolation was excellent. Perhaps some
folks would find them uncomfortable, but they worked for me.

Would anyone know of these headphones, and possibly recommend something
current that would be similar?

The kicker was that the studio owner told me they were $5 at a yard sale.

My Sony MDR-7506s have me diving for the power amp switch late at night,
because I can feel the house moving and my trousers flapping. But when I
tear of the phones, I find the speakers are indeed not on at all.

geoff

Can anyone suggest good audiophile headphones? Grado's? Billy Shears High End Audio 6 May 7th 04 05:08 PM
Headphones Wanted. Patrick D. Rockwell General 16 December 23rd 03 06:25 PM
Headphones question Neil.N Pro Audio 1 October 22nd 03 05:51 AM
Sharpe headphones question Neil.N Pro Audio 0 October 20th 03 04:23 PM
NEWBIE QUESTION: Need HELP With SOUNDCRAFT MIXER! HWBossHoss Pro Audio 1 August 5th 03 02:43 PM