Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

Default A sensible audio question DTS conversion

I'm a little stuck here. I want to place my multichannel
DTS CDs onto my
music server as 2ch CD quality stereo wav at 1411kbps.

I am a little stumped here as every program I have either
wont do it or will
only do it for DVD VOBs or requires paying for a plug-in.
So what is there
that will downmix the DTS stream to stereo?

BTW yes I have tried "Recording What You Hear" on my sound
card but that is
too slow and has caused drop outs :-( Besides 30 CDs will
take too long.

Any suggestions?

BTW yes I have ripped the data tracks using a ripping
program so it is
basically how to process the digital stream.

Regards TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"TT" wrote in message
. au

I'm a little stuck here. I want to place my multichannel
DTS CDs onto my
music server as 2ch CD quality stereo wav at 1411kbps.

I've heard of DTS DVDs, but not DTS CDs. Can you clarify?

I am a little stumped here as every program I have either
wont do it or will
only do it for DVD VOBs or requires paying for a plug-in.

It you are talking about DTS DVDs, then the sound is encapsulated in those
VOBs.

So what is there that will downmix the DTS stream to stereo?

You might want to try MPEG Streamclip. It is designed to extract either
audio or video or both from VOBs, among other things. It is freeware, and it
requires that you also install another piece of freeware called Quicktime
Alternative.

It works, albeit more than a little slowly, even if you have a really fast
CPU. But, it is almost always faster and more accurate than re-recording.

http://www.squared5.com/

BTW yes I have tried "Recording What You Hear" on my sound
card but that is
too slow and has caused drop outs :-( Besides 30 CDs
will take too long.

Agreed.

BTW yes I have ripped the data tracks using a ripping
program so it is basically how to process the digital stream.

I've used MPEG Streamclip on lots of DVDs. If the DVDs you are working with
are commercial DVDs you may run up against the enciphering problem, which
has some legal issues associated with it. One word: DVD43.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"TT" wrote in message
. au

I'm a little stuck here. I want to place my multichannel
DTS CDs onto my
music server as 2ch CD quality stereo wav at 1411kbps.

I've heard of DTS DVDs, but not DTS CDs. Can you clarify?

Here is a link to one of my comercial CDs
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=246230

Here is another http://www.hbdirect.com/album_detail.php?pid=424001 also
read the product notes at the bottom of the page explaing what these CDs
are.

These were the predecessors to SACD/DVD-A. DTS5.1 albums on CD at 24/96
using DTS compression.

Also see http://www.4channelsound.com/about.htm for CD DTS 4.0. I have a
bout 25 of these.

snipped DVD info

Thanks for the DVD insight but as stated these are DTS CDs and some
commercially available.

I am very surprised that you not aware of them Arny.

Regards TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe109 MINe109 is offline

On Apr 15, 8:36 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"TT" wrote in message

. au

I'm a little stuck here. I want to place my multichannel
DTS CDs onto my
music server as 2ch CD quality stereo wav at 1411kbps.

I've heard of DTS DVDs, but not DTS CDs. Can you clarify?

http://www.avrev.com/equip/surround/index.html

"DTS has produced many of their own musical titles on CD, DVD and DVD-
Audio that feature their surround sound format: DTS CDs can be played
on any CD player with a digital output or on a DVD player."

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
yellowmattercustard yellowmattercustard is offline

"TT" wrote

BTW yes I have tried "Recording What You Hear" on my sound
card but that is
too slow and has caused drop outs :-( Besides 30 CDs will
take too long.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Set downmix on the dvd player to stereo, then use the digital out on
the player to the digital in on the soundcard. This should prevent any
dropouts.

Alternatively, you could use a standalone cd-recorder with the same settings
as above.

I don't see why timimg is an issue. Everyone is in such a hurry these days.
A little effort will pay off.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Soundhaspriority" wrote in message

"TT" wrote in message
. au...
I'm a little stuck here. I want to place my multichannel
DTS CDs onto my
music server as 2ch CD quality stereo wav at 1411kbps.

I am a little stumped here as every program I have either
wont do it or will
only do it for DVD VOBs or requires paying for a plug-in.
So what is there
that will downmix the DTS stream to stereo?

BTW yes I have tried "Recording What You Hear" on my sound
card but that is
too slow and has caused drop outs :-( Besides 30 CDs will
take too long.

Any suggestions?

BTW yes I have ripped the data tracks using a ripping
program so it is
basically how to process the digital stream.

Regards TT

See http://ac3filter.net/. There is a DTS-capable plugin.

I'm a little interested in what you're doing, because I have just built a
PVR, using the excellent GB-PVR software authored by someone in New
Zealand. Since the PVR is always-on, it could become a music server.
Because GB-PVR requires many third party components to function, I
painfully discovered something called AC3filter: http://ac3filter.net/ .
This is a Directshow plugin that is recognized by WMP in the process of
playing DVR-MS video files. AC3filter has a control panel that does indeed
allow downmixing to stereo with a variety of settings.

But more to the point, I see on http://ac3filter.net/ , a second plugin
specifically for Winamp that has analogous ability for DTS. It may well
have a control panel applet that allows selection of downmixing or
multichannel output. Might this make it unnecessary to downmix?

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Thanks for the tip Bob as there is a Cool Edit filter plug-in. I can't get
CEP to recognise the filter though so any ideas? The documentation is very
sketchy to say the least :-(

Cheers TT

-10 dBV - +4 dBu Transformer Conversion Question [email protected] Pro Audio 13 February 20th 08 05:53 AM
Tape to CD conversion question J Antero Tech 16 May 15th 06 01:41 PM
Tape to CD conversion question J Antero Tech 0 May 4th 06 07:41 PM
cda - mp3 conversion question RB Tech 28 February 3rd 04 08:39 PM
.cda to mp3 conversion question RB Tech 0 January 27th 04 08:21 PM