Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Remixing Session Tapes, Poor Stereo Mixing, yada, yada

A friend sent my a 45 rip of an early AC/DC song. It had the "original" singer. Was told he wasn't a very good singer. I listen, and what I hear is a poor stereo mix (low vocals)!! Give the singer a break! Another burger flipping "engineer".

Same friend keeps me up to date with "remastered" "Pop" material, like Fleetwood Mac.
It is obvious session tapes were remixed. I call that process "genuine remastering"! I fabricated the opened here JUST to make the song different (for site), but sound is VERY nice. No brickwalling either (hello KMA!)....

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/images/holdme.mp3

Phil Collins, same thing, for Face Value album, I think it's titled, impressive sound. DAW in action, no doubt, for analog recordings. I knew it was just a matter of time!

---

I wanted something better than what I previously mixed from 12 tracks, I like this, more stereo effects. Wanted to give the fine guitarist a change to show-off his solo talent (ending)!...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...donloosely.mp3

Either A&M Records published garbage sound (song above), or I'm a genius, able to remix better than the, ahem, pro engineers. I sent this to WMGK-FM and WMMR-FM (Mark (participant) knows them) to see if they'll play my rendition. I think 38 Special deserves the superior sound that I'm best known for! I mean, Classic Rock radio always used to play album versions, but not in this case for this song. Friend in CA didn't even know there was an album version!

That's all my investigative reporting for today!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote: "Same friend keeps me up to date with "remastered" "Pop" material, like
Fleetwood Mac. It is obvious session tapes were remixed. I call that process "genuine
remastering"! I fabricated the opened here JUST to make the song different "

You still don't seem to know the difference
between the two. Remix and Remaster
that is.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 9:15:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Same friend keeps me up to date with "remastered" "Pop" material, like
Fleetwood Mac. It is obvious session tapes were remixed. I call that process "genuine
remastering"! I fabricated the opened here JUST to make the song different "

You still don't seem to know the difference
between the two. Remix and Remaster
that is.

You peeps are like Myna birds, you just repeat and repeat whatever you are told. People mix music tracks, and someone puts them on media. Nothing more.
But yet, it sometime takes a half dozen different people to "remaster" the same old tape!! No wonder why audio CDs gained a poor reputation, due to the "experts" involved!

Right.

Fleetwood Mac initially sounded like CRAP on CD. Now, that someone remixed the session tapes, genuine remastering, the sound is truly amazing!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote: "Fleetwood Mac initially sounded like CRAP on CD. Now,
that someone remixed the session tapes, genuine remastering, the
sound is truly amazing! "

Remix = To change relation between individual
instrumental/vocal tracks in a song, different levels
relative to each other. Also, to substitute one
instrumental or vocal track for another, or eliminate
some elements altogether. Applying processing
such as EQ, etc to individual tracks.

Remaster = To apply GLOBAL processing to an
approved as finished two(or more) channel stereo
or surround song or soundtrack. Processing
includes tonal, dynamic, temporal, and spatial,
as well as overall speed/tempo of the product.

Some songs and albums are remixed, some
are remastered, and some have both done
to them.

Example: Adding a sax solo to the bridge
of a song, changing the pan pot locations
of song elements, or raising or lowering the
levels of vocals in it, is remixing.

Re-EQing a dull master tape of a song
or album for more treble, or making changes
to the dynamics, speed, or overall level, is
remastering.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 8:55:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
JackA wrote: "Fleetwood Mac initially sounded like CRAP on CD. Now,
that someone remixed the session tapes, genuine remastering, the
sound is truly amazing! "

Remix = To change relation between individual
instrumental/vocal tracks in a song, different levels
relative to each other. Also, to substitute one
instrumental or vocal track for another, or eliminate
some elements altogether. Applying processing
such as EQ, etc to individual tracks.

Remaster = To apply GLOBAL processing to an
approved as finished two(or more) channel stereo
or surround song or soundtrack. Processing
includes tonal, dynamic, temporal, and spatial,
as well as overall speed/tempo of the product.

-- But, how? So, you needed to satisfy both the engineer who probably mixed the tunes(s) and the person who masters with electronic equipment.
-- My guess, the person who Mastered, just put whatever tracks on the media, nothing more. Some say, groups must approve of the mix/sound, I say that's a lie.
- Granted, when EMI was doing their Legendary Masters series, there were notes what to use and how much of this and that (maybe Sinatra). BUT, that electronic equipment was either discarded or replaces, rendering any notes useless.

Some songs and albums are remixed, some
are remastered, and some have both done
to them.

True. Listen to Smoke On The Water (Deep Purple) remixed and enhanced, you finally get to hear what was actually recorded, non-edited.

Example: Adding a sax solo to the bridge
of a song, changing the pan pot locations
of song elements, or raising or lowering the
levels of vocals in it, is remixing.

- Remixing, from the trend I see, has nothing to do with remixing multi-tracks, but more or less taking past material and adding something new to it. Maybe that's what you mean.

-- People don't make (stereo) Master tapes for no good reason. The more they are accessed, the more you destroy the audio, and tape noise becomes, sometimes, very evident. But, if multi-tracks are still available, you can rid that tape noise by remixing. Believe this is what Audiophiles like, because you gain the GREATEST dynamic range.

-- You may remember the song, Turn Down Day, by The Cyrkle. I found it on a Sony (3) CD set. When it came to a particular portion of the song, something struck me, as what I heard should not be there! In other words, someone did remix the song, but what was once edited out (drum riff) was now left in! I agreed, it did sound flat with it left in.

Re-EQing a dull master tape of a song
or album for more treble, or making changes
to the dynamics, speed, or overall level, is
remastering.

- So, you say, remastering requires the use of ANOTHER tape to store content, adding even more noise? Or maybe saved on DAT? Not sure, no one ever writes about these Remastering processes.

Thanks.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote: "no one ever writes about these Remastering processes. "

Surely you are joking?

There are entire web pages devoted to
the subject of remasters, and the process
of remastering. Again, it is a global
process applied to finished and previously
released songs or entire albums.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA:

Remixing can mean a new mix created from
existing tracks, again with different processing
applied, different levels, and/or addition of
new tracks or subtraction of tracks. Remixes
are on a song-by-song basis.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil Nil is offline

The post below wins the prize for the highest number of confused,
ignorant, misleading, and flat-out wrong statements and lies contained
in a single post this year. There are still 8 weeks left - will he be
able to beat his own record before the New Year?

On 10 Nov 2016, JackA wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 9:33:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:
JackA wrote: "no one ever writes about these Remastering processes. "

Surely you are joking?

There are entire web pages devoted to
the subject of remasters, and the process
of remastering. Again, it is a global
process applied to finished and previously
released songs or entire albums.

Feel free to post any links, start to finish.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 9:37:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
JackA:

Remixing can mean a new mix created from
existing tracks, again with different processing
applied, different levels, and/or addition of
new tracks or subtraction of tracks. Remixes
are on a song-by-song basis.

Remastering can mean, create a new Master, correct?

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil wrote: "The post below wins the prize for the highest number of confused,
ignorant, misleading, and flat-out wrong statements and lies contained
in a single post this year. There are still 8 weeks left - will he be
able to beat his own record before the New Year? "

To whom and to what post is the above
directed?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 6:39:22 PM UTC-5, JackA wrote:
[...]

Now, here's another. If you follow Universal Music, you'd find a ton of (Grass Roots) CDs loaded with tape hiss noise. Independent (Real Gone Music) issued Mono single versions, ripped from vinyl. Decades later, the "albums" surface on CD sounding significantly better, from Japan, on HQ media. Granted, I wasn't [real] happy with the overall sound, so I corrected a few things. I can't expect everyone to know how recorded music should sound!!...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...ovingthing.mp3

Thank you for your overwhelming support!!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 7:47:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Nil wrote: "The post below wins the prize for the highest number of confused,
ignorant, misleading, and flat-out wrong statements and lies contained
in a single post this year. There are still 8 weeks left - will he be
able to beat his own record before the New Year? "

To whom and to what post is the above
directed?

Hint: The same person who attacked you, too.

Jack