Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] tompaulmpa@aol.com is offline

Default Beyer M-160 cap came loose

The wire basket cap of my Beyer M-160 keeps falling off. I am afraid of damaging the ribbons. How should the be reattached? There aren't any threads that I can see. There is a marker dot on it but I don't know what it means.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/4/2016 5:15 PM, JackA wrote:
No screws shown here....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJbJuq58d58

I don't see a "marker dot" there. Mine has screws, one of which could be
mistaken for a "marker dot." That mic has a long history and no doubt
there have been some production changes over the years.

If his doesn't have screws, then perhaps, like the one in the video, the
top grill is just glued in place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 20PaulJ@ptsdwebapps.com is offline

If his doesn't have screws, then perhaps, like the one in the video, the
top grill is just glued in place.

It appears to be glued. What kind of glue would you use to reattach it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

I don't see a "marker dot" there. Mine has screws, one of which could be
mistaken for a "marker dot." That mic has a long history and no doubt
there have been some production changes over the years.

If his doesn't have screws, then perhaps, like the one in the video, the
top grill is just glued in place.

** I feel like I have seen an M160, decades ago, that had tiny screws.

But try hard as I might, I could find no pic on the net that showed any - must be a rare example of the beast.

OTOH - all the M260s pics I saw showed such screws.

FYI: I recall one of my customers in the mid 1970s was very pleased with his M160, using for close vocals. He performed Neil Diamond tributes (one man out) in clubs up and down the east coast of Australia and managed to look and sound the part too. The huge proximity effect of the M160 was crucial to the latter.

** I would not use that sig file ....

..... Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/5/2016 4:24 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
** I feel like I have seen an M160, decades ago, that had tiny screws.

But try hard as I might, I could find no pic on the net that showed any - must be a rare example of the beast.

Here's a rare picture. Use it responsibly.

http://i.imgur.com/DWJUNFO.jpg

I don't have a camera that's particularly good with close-ups, but
that's a screw. You can see a little trace of red paint, so it may have
been removed before I got the mic. If you can find a Beyer mic dating
web site, this one is serial number 6839. I have two (the other has
screws as well), have had them for over 20 years, and they were used
when I got them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tom P[_2_] Tom P[_2_] is offline

I would use a contact cement. Ask your auto parts dealer about 3M emblem
adhesive, which is a clear and effective flexible urethane contact cement.

I put it little superglue on it. The mic never leaves my home studio so it should hold.