Posted to rec.audio.tech
jsport

Default How do I plug an RCA cable into a speaker wire jack?

I recently bought a wireless speaker for my patio deck and the
transmitter has an RCA plug. But the RCA jack on the back of my stereo
is used for my subwoofer. As I see it, I have three options (four if
you consider getting rid of the speaker an option). 1. Get a Y
adapter and plug both the sub and the transmitter into the same jack.
2. Get some type of RCA-wire adapter and plug the transmitter into a
regular speaker jack. 3. Cut the end off the RCA plug and strip the
ends for the speaker jack. I would really appreciate some help from
anybody that knows about these things. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"jsport" wrote ...
I recently bought a wireless speaker for my patio deck and the
transmitter has an RCA plug. But the RCA jack on the back of my
stereo
is used for my subwoofer.

Since you didn't explicitly state it, we will assume that
you have some sort of bare wires from the back of your
stereo to your wired speakers?

As I see it, I have three options (four if you consider getting
rid of the speaker an option).

1. Get a Y adapter and plug both the sub and the transmitter
into the same jack.

No. Not unless you want only the sub-bass coming out of
your wireless speaker. Assuming that is NOT what you want.

2. Get some type of RCA-wire adapter and plug the transmitter
into a regular speaker jack. 3. Cut the end off the RCA plug
and strip the ends for the speaker jack.

2 and 3 amount to the same thing. It might very well work,
but there is a possible danger to your transmitter if you like
playing you speakers loud.

Ideally, you need an attenuator that takes your speaker-level
signals and knocks them down to "line level" which is
likely what your transmitter wants. These attenuators are
commonly used in auto stereo installations and they should
be available in most an reasonably-stocked auto-stereo
place.

Hint: We will have to make A LOT of guesses about your
equipment since you didn't give us ANY specific info about
the make/model of the amplifier, the transmitter, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On 26 Jun 2006 20:47:30 -0700, "jsport" wrote:

I recently bought a wireless speaker for my patio deck and the
transmitter has an RCA plug. But the RCA jack on the back of my stereo
is used for my subwoofer. As I see it, I have three options (four if
you consider getting rid of the speaker an option). 1. Get a Y
adapter and plug both the sub and the transmitter into the same jack.
2. Get some type of RCA-wire adapter and plug the transmitter into a
regular speaker jack. 3. Cut the end off the RCA plug and strip the
ends for the speaker jack. I would really appreciate some help from
anybody that knows about these things. Thanks in advance.

Tell us the model of your stereo and we may be able to do more than
guess.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff

jsport wrote:
I recently bought a wireless speaker for my patio deck and the
transmitter has an RCA plug. But the RCA jack on the back of my
stereo is used for my subwoofer. As I see it, I have three options
(four if you consider getting rid of the speaker an option). 1. Get
a Y adapter and plug both the sub and the transmitter into the same
jack.
2. Get some type of RCA-wire adapter and plug the transmitter into a
regular speaker jack. 3. Cut the end off the RCA plug and strip the
ends for the speaker jack. I would really appreciate some help from
anybody that knows about these things. Thanks in advance.

Use the Tape Out or Line Out jacks.

geoff