JohanWagener

Default the crossover in component systems

Passive crossovers reduce the power that goes to the speaker because it
increases the impedance right? All the component systems I have seen has a
passive crossover that has to be used. Does a coaxial speaker also have
crossovers built in?

If not how come components produce better sound quality with lower power?

Sanitarium

Many coaxials also have Xover's. depending on the model. My infinity
6002I has a high pass capacitor to protect the tweeter. the midbass
however does not have a Low pass. It relies on the natural roll off of
the driver. I think some of the audiobahn coaxials have both HP and LP
filters.

Garrett

JohanWagener wrote:

Passive crossovers reduce the power that goes to the speaker because it
increases the impedance right? All the component systems I have seen has a
passive crossover that has to be used. Does a coaxial speaker also have
crossovers built in?

If not how come components produce better sound quality with lower power?

RG

Yes, there are some insertion losses when using passive crossovers. Higher
quality ones use aircore inductors with heavier guage windings that keep DC
resistance to a minimum. The caps, I believe, do not contribute to any
increased resistance. Furthermore, most passive units make use of L pads to
reduce the power input to the tweeter to help integrate it with the woffers
output capabilities.
Conventional coax speakers generally make use of a single capacitor
resulting in a 6db high pass crossover. The mids are usually allowed to roll
off naturally. As a result, and based on the match between woofer and
tweeter, there is generally some "overlap" in the higher midrange
frequencies. In my experiences, this can lead to a "brighter" or more
forward sounding speaker. Components use a low pass network to roll off, or
limit, the woofer's output in the upper midrange. Occasionally, the passive
crossover is also underlapped by design to suppress any unwanted "bumps" in
the region of the crossover point. As a result, components quite often
exhibit a smoother overall response ( this is not a hard & fast rule ).

- RG