Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GerryE123 GerryE123 is offline

Default The Triode Connected 46!

Hi:

A friend loaned me a pair of adapters to run triode connected 46s in my 45
amp. Here's a photo of the amp (with Arcturus globe 46s):

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e123/46amp.jpg

So far, I like the sound of the 46s better than ANY 45 I have compared them
to. The 46s sound more powerful and make the 45s sound wimpy in comparison.
They also have significantly better bass response. I don't think it's just
a volume thing as the 46s seem to do all of the good things that 45s are
known for.

I'm not a techie, but I'm trying to understand why this is. Here's a scan
of the RCA Tube Manual (RC-17):

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e123/45-46.jpg

My amp's output transformers are Magnequest DS050s. The input and driver
tubes are both sections of a 5687. Why do the 46s sound more powerful?
Also, why is the bass response significantly better? Last, why does a
triode connected 46 sound as good as a 45 in all or most other attributes?

Any comments or insights would be appreciated! Thank you.

Gerry

2 DAWs connected? Federico Pro Audio 4 April 27th 05 07:47 PM
Using power triode or power pentode wired as a triode as a split-load phase splitter tube? at Vacuum Tubes 9 August 27th 04 11:24 AM
Using power triode/pentode wired as triode as a split load phase splitter tube? at Vacuum Tubes 4 August 27th 04 10:47 AM
is ground of rca sockets connected? Johan Wagener Car Audio 2 November 17th 03 06:46 PM
Connected balanced to unbalanced.. Paul Beauchamp Pro Audio 1 August 30th 03 05:08 PM