Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Default Resistor Question

Hi all, forgive my lack of electronic knowledge.

My question is, running in parallel with a 47K ohm resistor in a phono
stage, what value-final resistance does the addition of these particular
resistors now give?
1k ohm?
200 ohm?
100 ohm?
Thank you, Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James Lehman

For any 2 resisters in parallel:

Rt = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2)

But this only works for two resisters at a time.

James. )

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi all, forgive my lack of electronic knowledge.

My question is, running in parallel with a 47K ohm resistor in a phono
stage, what value-final resistance does the addition of these particular
resistors now give?
1k ohm?
200 ohm?
100 ohm?
Thank you, Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Sorry James, but that wasn't what I asked. If I wanted the formula, I
would've asked for that specifically!

Can anyone here answer my first question please! Thank you, Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Mark D" wrote in message
Sorry James, but that wasn't what I asked. If I wanted the formula, I
would've asked for that specifically!

Your calculator is broken? Try the windows one, your PC obviously still
works.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi all, forgive my lack of electronic knowledge.

My question is, running in parallel with a 47K ohm resistor in a phono
stage, what value-final resistance does the addition of these particular
resistors now give?
1k ohm?
200 ohm?
100 ohm?
Thank you, Mark

Effectively,

1 kOhm

200 Ohm

100 Ohm

The 47 K in parallel with these is so much larger the small value resistors
predominate. No calculator necessary.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Thank you Mr T. Anyone else care to chime in? MD

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

"Mark D" wrote in message
Thank you Mr T. Anyone else care to chime in? MD

Yep.

Are you too lazy to work out the answer yourself from the graciously
supplied formula, or do you have a reason why others should do all your
menial work for you ?

Also the question remains - "Why ?". Do you have an unavoidable shunt
resistor on a phono input for some reason ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Mark D" wrote in message
Thank you Mr T. Anyone else care to chime in? MD

What is the tolerance of the resistor values then?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Mark D" wrote in message
Sorry James, but that wasn't what I asked. If I wanted the formula, I
would've asked for that specifically!

Can anyone here answer my first question please! Thank you, Mark

The effect of your 47K resistor will essentially
disappear in the presence of any of those other
low-value resistors.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Thank you Mark, and Richard.
This was the info I basically needed to know to help me understand a bit
more.
mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Yep.
Are you too lazy to work out the answer yourself from the graciously
supplied formula, or do you have a reason why others should do all your
menial work for you ?
Also the question remains - "Why ?". Do you have an unavoidable shunt
resistor on a phono input for some reason ?
geoff
======================================
And thank you also Geoff for your reply.

Nope, not lazy, just a lack of electronical knowledge, and
understanding.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave

"Mark D" wrote in message

Nope, not lazy, just a lack of electronical knowledge, and
understanding.

If you can't figure out how to use the formula provided, don't think about
touching a turntable or amplifier's phono stage, you'll probably electrocute
yourself or irreparably damage the equipment... if you can figure out which
screwdriver fits the screws to get it open in the first place.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

If you can't figure out how to use the formula provided, don't think
about touching a turntable or amplifier's phono stage, you'll probably
electrocute yourself or irreparably damage the equipment... if you can
figure out which screwdriver fits the screws to get it open in the first
place.
======================================
Gee Dave, thanks for the great tips, and advice, especially the
important tip on which end of a screwdriver I should maybe try to use!
:-)

Just for yours, and other's info, the Table is a VPI 19 Mk-IV, with
hi-output 1.8Mv Glider Cart (output Impedance is 85ohms), the Phono
Stage a McCormack Micro Phono Drive, and I have bought an assortment of
5 watt Metal Film Vishay Resistors, that will run in parallel with the
default 47K factory setting. The insertion of add on resistors with
this Unit is quite simple in fact with ports to accept them, and even a
electronic "dummy" as myself shouldn't have much problems.

As I understand, much won't be gained by using resistors below 1000K,
and the supposed target range I should try would be around 2.2K.
(25X Output Impedance)

It is more or less unpredictable which will work best, and it will be
trial, and error by ear to ultimately select the right loading for the
said MC Cartridge, extracting it's best performance within my system.

It is said in general, that hi-output MC's above 1MV generally perform
just fine at 47K, but some improvemnts may be had by additional loading.
mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Mark D" wrote in message
Just for yours, and other's info, the Table is a VPI 19 Mk-IV, with
hi-output 1.8Mv Glider Cart (output Impedance is 85ohms), the Phono
Stage a McCormack Micro Phono Drive, and I have bought an assortment of
5 watt Metal Film Vishay Resistors, that will run in parallel with the
default 47K factory setting. The insertion of add on resistors with
this Unit is quite simple in fact with ports to accept them, and even a
electronic "dummy" as myself shouldn't have much problems.

If it was me, I'd simply use a potentiometer for testing, then measure the
optimum resistance.

It is more or less unpredictable which will work best,

Not at all, if measurements are performed.

and it will be
trial, and error by ear to ultimately select the right loading for the
said MC Cartridge, extracting it's best performance within my system.

In the absence of any test equipment perhaps.

MrT.