Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

Default attentuators

Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gwatts

Default attenuators

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

Plenty, especially when Scoop Newsworthy shows up two minutes before
show time, wants a 'line level feed,' plugs it into the mic input on his
camera and wonders why my 'line level feed' is so hot. Put the XLR
version in between my stuff and his and he's usually happy and goes away
before the end of the second song.

(Hint for you video types: Show up earlier, much earlier. How would
you like it if I showed up 30 seconds before you go on the air and
wanted feeds from all your cameras?)

I've never had a use for the RCA/Phono version but I still have some in
the box, just in case...
Posted to rec.audio.tech
gwatts

gwatts wrote:
Chris wrote:

Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

Plenty, especially when Scoop Newsworthy shows up two minutes before
show time, wants a 'line level feed,' plugs it into the mic input on his
camera and wonders why my 'line level feed' is so hot. Put the XLR
version in between my stuff and his and he's usually happy and goes away
before the end of the second song.

(Hint for you video types: Show up earlier, much earlier. How would
you like it if I showed up 30 seconds before you go on the air and
wanted feeds from all your cameras?)

I've never had a use for the RCA/Phono version but I still have some in
the box, just in case...

I noticed the XLR versions in the advert only cut by 10 dB, my XLR pads
are 30 dB and I frequently need two for the ENG types.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Chris" wrote ...
Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

Sure, many (most?) of us have experience using similar
attenuators for various purposes.

The ones in the URL you cited appear to be "tweako",
"boutique", even "snake-oil" remarkably over-priced
gadgets. I would expect to pay 1/10th those prices for
equal quality. (Or make my own from some connectors
and a few pennies worth of resistors.)

If you are on the selling end of those things, congratulations,
when is your next holiday to the Riviera? If you are on
the buying side, you can likely do as well for more realistic
prices.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Chris" wrote in message

Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

I'm never going to have any experience with products like these because they
are incredibly overpriced and I can make my own.

However, the basic concept is good, its just that someone is trying to
profiteer on people's ignorance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

What's your application Chris?
You can actually build pads with a few $ of components
and a soldering iron.
Muso's call the Mic-line one's DI's to run keyboards,etc into
mixer inputs.
For the price of those you linked you can buy a mighty fine one.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:49:52 -0500, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message

Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

I'm never going to have any experience with products like these because they
are incredibly overpriced and I can make my own.

However, the basic concept is good, its just that someone is trying to
profiteer on people's ignorance.

I have plenty of experience with products like this, as inline coaxial
attenuators are commonly used in measurement gear. Of course, they use
professional BNC connections rather than RCS, and are 50-ohm
constant-impedance L-pad or PI circuits, but they are flat from DC to
to several hundred MegaHertz, and have no known nonlinearities down to
less than -140dB. Expect to pay about ten bucks..................

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Chris

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

What's your application Chris?
You can actually build pads with a few $ of components
and a soldering iron.
Muso's call the Mic-line one's DI's to run keyboards,etc into
mixer inputs.
For the price of those you linked you can buy a mighty fine one.

i'm sure i could make them with the right recipie. I was moe interested in
learning what the benefits of using such are. Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Chris" wrote ...
i'm sure i could make them with the right recipie. I was moe interested in
learning what the benefits of using such are. Thanks

The main benefit is preventing overload of the input of an audio
device. That is a VERY significant "benefit" IMHO. :-)
I don't see them as "optional". When you need one, there is no
real substitute.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Chris wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Chris wrote:
Anyone have any experience using something like this?
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html

What's your application Chris?
You can actually build pads with a few $ of components
and a soldering iron.
Muso's call the Mic-line one's DI's to run keyboards,etc into
mixer inputs.
For the price of those you linked you can buy a mighty fine one.

i'm sure i could make them with the right recipie. I was moe interested in
learning what the benefits of using such are. Thanks

Here's the recipe:
http://www.rapco.com/catalog/tpad.html

Benefit:
DIY prevents overload of wallet.
Premade comparisons:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ain& desc=ASC

Benefit:
YMMV

Any properly applied pad prevents distortion from an overdriven input.