Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet

Default foam gasket?

I need a gasket to put under the basket of the speaker for sealing the air
in the box and dampening the vibration. But I only found foam gaskets, are
they good for this purpose? thank you also for the latest reply and for the
link to that RANE document.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Robert Gault

gunnet wrote:
I need a gasket to put under the basket of the speaker for sealing the air
in the box and dampening the vibration. But I only found foam gaskets, are
they good for this purpose? thank you also for the latest reply and for the
link to that RANE document.

Foam can be either open cell or closed cell. Closed cell foam is air tight
but even open cell foam might work to seal a speaker system. If you buy
foam rings from a company like Parts Express, you won't need to worry about
the quality of the foam.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet

Foam can be either open cell or closed cell. Closed cell foam is air tight
but even open cell foam might work to seal a speaker system. If you buy
foam rings from a company like Parts Express, you won't need to worry

about
the quality of the foam.

I bought the rubber foam gaskets with closed cell, the ironmonger's told me
that they are also acoustic insulating and don't mould. I've seen also some
large panel of self-adhesive foam, and can I use them for damping the inside
of the cabinet? Actually I'm using acrylic and polyurethane as damping
material.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Robert Gault

gunnet wrote:
Foam can be either open cell or closed cell. Closed cell foam is air tight
but even open cell foam might work to seal a speaker system. If you buy
foam rings from a company like Parts Express, you won't need to worry

about

the quality of the foam.

I bought the rubber foam gaskets with closed cell, the ironmonger's told me
that they are also acoustic insulating and don't mould. I've seen also some
large panel of self-adhesive foam, and can I use them for damping the inside
of the cabinet? Actually I'm using acrylic and polyurethane as damping
material.

You original post seemed to be referring to acoustic suspension seals for
which closed cell foam would be best. Almost anything can be used for
dampening material as long as it won't make noise when shaken. You ought to
be able to use cotton batting, polymer fiber fill, foam, and probably other
materials with similar success.

Again if you buy your material from companies that list them for acoustic
use, you should not have any problems. Even getting stuffing from fabric
stores will probably be fine for dampening material.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"gunnet" wrote in message

I need a gasket to put under the basket of the speaker
for sealing the air in the box and dampening the
vibration. But I only found foam gaskets, are they good
for this purpose?

The *universal* solution for this problem is in most hardware stores and
branded "Mortite".

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D

Madisound sells rolls of the thin self adhesive foam gasketing to go
around speaker frames.
Check them out. Mark

Posted to rec.audio.tech
gunnet

thank you to all

Foam removal? Cory Bonnett Pro Audio 42 October 11th 04 02:39 PM
Foam removal results Cory Bonnett Pro Audio 16 October 5th 04 12:46 AM
Foam removal results Cory Bonnett Pro Audio 0 October 4th 04 07:35 AM
Foam removal? Cory Bonnett Pro Audio 0 September 30th 04 08:18 PM
Fixing acoustic foam to ceiling Rick Powell Pro Audio 3 September 2nd 03 02:06 AM