Posted to rec.audio.opinion
angel toledo

Default 8 ohm speakers on 4 ohm unit?

I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to
the stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

angel toledo said:

I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to
the stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

No problem, the SPL will be somewhat lower than with comparable 4 ohms
speakers, but no damage will be done.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel

In , angel toledo wrote :

I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to
the stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks

No problem the inverse could damage your amp.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"angel toledo" wrote in message
I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to the
stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks

No problem. If you look closely, it is probably "4 ohms minimum". I cannot
think of any Japanese mass market equipment that was ever designed
specifically for 4 ohm operation.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:32:08 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"angel toledo" wrote in message
I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to the
stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks

No problem. If you look closely, it is probably "4 ohms minimum". I cannot
think of any Japanese mass market equipment that was ever designed
specifically for 4 ohm operation.

What surprises me is that a crappy ~1995 Kenwood would even handle the
stress of a 4-ohm speaker. I recall a friend's Kenwood receiver that
would drive a 4-ohm speaker, but was rated at LESS power into 4 than
it was into 8!!! Can you say "junk"?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dave weil

wrote:

"angel toledo" wrote in message
I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to the
stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks

No problem. If you look closely, it is probably "4 ohms minimum". I cannot
think of any Japanese mass market equipment that was ever designed
specifically for 4 ohm operation.

What surprises me is that a crappy ~1995 Kenwood would even handle the
stress of a 4-ohm speaker. I recall a friend's Kenwood receiver that
would drive a 4-ohm speaker, but was rated at LESS power into 4 than
it was into 8!!! Can you say "junk"?

At least it had tone controls.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

dizzy said:

"angel toledo" wrote in message
I have an old (circa 1995) Kenwood stereo/cd player which takes 4 ohm
speakers. Can I hook up some 8 ohm speakers to it? What will happen to the
stereo unit? What will happen to the speakers?

Thanks

No problem. If you look closely, it is probably "4 ohms minimum". I cannot
think of any Japanese mass market equipment that was ever designed
specifically for 4 ohm operation.

What surprises me is that a crappy ~1995 Kenwood would even handle the
stress of a 4-ohm speaker. I recall a friend's Kenwood receiver that
would drive a 4-ohm speaker, but was rated at LESS power into 4 than
it was into 8!!! Can you say "junk"?

The thought never crossed your mind that the OP was talking about a
car head unit?