normanstrong

Default DVD surround sound

On r.a.o. there is a definite competition between 2-channel stereo,
and video with surround sound. If you stop to think about it, the
surround sound part of DVD stands alone perfectly well. A DVD can be
used to distribute surround sound to anyone with a DVD player
connected to a surround sound audio system. The video part is
optional.

DVD A/V systems have invaded the majority of US homes, so there would
be no chicken/egg issue in releasing such discs containing nothing but
audio. Playing times could be at least 5 hours using the 8cm discs,
much more on a 12cm one. The sound quality is apparently more than
adequate; I've not heard any complaints about inferior sound due
simply to the DD format. All DVD players are required to handle bit
rates up to 448kb/s (correct me if I'm wrong) so compatibility is 100%
at the outset. So why haven't we seen any such releases?

I'll leave it for you to figure out. I have my own guess, but I'd
like to hear yours first.

Cheers,

Norm Strong

Socko Van Puppet

From: "normanstrong"

I'll leave it for you to figure out. I have my own guess, but I'd
like to hear yours first.

It's simple. Obviously a world-wide high-end audio conspiracy to keep Kreuger
miserable. Just ask him.

Socko

Arny Krueger

From: "normanstrong"

I'll leave it for you to figure out. I have my own guess, but I'd
like to hear yours first.

DVD A/V systems have invaded the majority of US homes, so there would
be no chicken/egg issue in releasing such discs containing nothing but
audio.

I think it's a matter of perceived value. If you spend $100-160 for 9
CD-audio discs you get some substance for your cash. If you spent the same
money on a DVD-audio disc, you'd get just one disc.

It's simple. Obviously a world-wide high-end audio conspiracy to keep
Kreuger miserable. Just ask him.

Spoke like a poor unfortunate person who can't burn his own optical discs,
either format. This might be an example of that class envy that some around
here like to posture about. The untermenschen seem to lack the resources to
exploit all of the benefits of digital audio.

cwvalle

"François Yves Le Gal" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:40:52 -0500, "Arny Krueger"

wrote:

The untermenschen seem to lack the resources to
exploit all of the benefits of digital audio.

While the Herrenmenschen of the superior race enjoys wonderful digital
living, Herr Krüger?

untermenschen?
that is the most disgusting and vile insult I have heard on RAO. In light of
the source of the term, you should be ashamed to show your face, or your
words for that matter, to any human being.
Instead you revel in it - you think it clever
You use it as a Troll
you are worse than excrement
you can't seem to be flushed
away

MINe 109

In article rfFJb.117973$VB2.312697@attbi_s51,
"normanstrong" wrote:

[...]

Well, there was Classic and Chesky. Maybe Telarc?

I'll leave it for you to figure out. I have my own guess, but I'd
like to hear yours first.

Copy protection.

Stephen

MINe 109

In article
,

"normanstrong" wrote:

[...]

Never mind, you're talking about Dolby Digital, not DVD PCM.

Stephen

George M. Middius

cwvalle said:

The untermenschen seem to lack the resources to
exploit all of the benefits of digital audio.

untermenschen?
that is the most disgusting and vile insult I have heard on RAO. In light of
the source of the term, you should be ashamed to show your face, or your
words for that matter, to any human being.
Instead you revel in it - you think it clever
You use it as a Troll
you are worse than excrement
you can't seem to be flushed
away

Nice tirade, but it was Krooger who used the word, not Ze Frog.

S888Wheel

Spoke like a poor unfortunate person who can't burn his own optical discs,
either format. This might be an example of that class envy that some around
here like to posture about. The untermenschen seem to lack the resources to
exploit all of the benefits of digital audio.

You are an idiot and a liar.
chexxon

"normanstrong" wrote in message news:rfFJb.117973$VB2.312697@attbi_s51...

DVD A/V systems have invaded the majority of US homes,

But not the majority of US walkmen, boom boxes, car radios, and mp3
players. The living room isn't the only place people listen to music.

* Chexxon

Lionel

wrote:

The untermenschen seem to lack the resources to
exploit all of the benefits of digital audio.

While the Herrenmenschen of the superior race enjoys wonderful digital
living, Herr Krüger?

untermenschen?
that is the most disgusting and vile insult I have heard on RAO. In light of
the source of the term, you should be ashamed to show your face, or your
words for that matter, to any human being.
Instead you revel in it - you think it clever
You use it as a Troll
you are worse than excrement
you can't seem to be flushed
away

Agreed.

Lionel Chapuis

normanstrong

From: "normanstrong"

I'll leave it for you to figure out. I have my own guess, but

I'd
like to hear yours first.

DVD A/V systems have invaded the majority of US homes, so there

would
be no chicken/egg issue in releasing such discs containing nothing

but
audio.

I think it's a matter of perceived value. If you spend $100-160 for

9
CD-audio discs you get some substance for your cash. If you spent

the same
money on a DVD-audio disc, you'd get just one disc.

I think you're on to something there. There would certainly have to
be a different pricing paradigm than what's currently used. A small
disc that holds up to 5 hours of material would have to sell for a
price based on time rather than a per disc price like CD. Open the
package and you might be looking at $100. There would have to be a
public education effort to overcome the expected resistance. Even
then, there would still be the issue of damage. No matter what you do
to a CD, it's only $15; a $100 DVD is something else entirely. There
would have to be a trade-in mechanism, allowing the purchaser to
trade-in his damaged disc for a brand new one at a low price.

My personal belief is that the RIAA knows perfectly well that if a DVD
can hold that much music, someone will soon start releasing fully
depreciated recordings that fill up the disc. Why stop at Brahms' 2nd
and 3rd symphonies when you can include all of them on the same disc.
Better to avoid that possibility at the outset by not adopting such a
standard.

Finally, one might ask why nobody's released such a disc to date,
since no special equipment is necessary. I dunno; do you?

Norm Strong