Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Default Rutherford cables for speakers - the next big thing?

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Or start you own company to make them :-)

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Mr.T wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Or start you own company to make them :-)

MrT.

Now there's a thought.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Mr.T wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Or start you own company to make them :-)

MrT.

Now there's a thought.

It's a thought that's crossed my mind before too.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Eeyore" wrote ...
Don Pearce wrote:
Mr.T wrote:
"Don Pearce" wrote

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a
reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these
as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the
date
of first appearance.

Or start you own company to make them :-)

MrT.

Now there's a thought.

It's a thought that's crossed my mind before too.

I'm sure we (r.a.p) could go a super job of writing marketing BS
that would even impress the crowd over on r.a.o :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Don Pearce wrote:
Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a
reference to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These
are a special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current
handling than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these
as the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the
date of first appearance.

Possibly a bit intrusive in the lounge. But doubtlessly worth the
inconvenience.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

On Sep 10, 4:28*am, Don Pearce wrote:
Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

____________________
It's amazing how slick sales & marketing campaigns, with faux
"science" mixed in, can elevate these and other brands of conductors
above a 50' roll of good old 16 to 14AWG zip-cord!

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
dizzy dizzy is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

The problem is, using them risks a cataclysmic reaction that may end
the world as we know it.

But damn, they do sound great for that one picosecond or so... 8)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

dizzy wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a
reference to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets.
These are a special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher
current handling than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these
as the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for
the date of first appearance.

The problem is, using them risks a cataclysmic reaction that may end
the world as we know it.

But damn, they do sound great for that one picosecond or so... 8)

Just a moment of startling exquisit transparency...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] Kevin McMurtrie[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Don Pearce wrote:

Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Being that you don't need fat 12 gauge cables, you could drop the
impedance and capacitance to almost nothing. The bandwidth of the cable
would be limited only by the impedance of the binding posts.

The problem is that operating environment spec of -273C to -270C. It
would make the $200/foot cable and $600 1GHz binding posts a tough sell.

Ah, screw the customers. Wrap a superconductor wire around an 8 gauge
copper cable and sell it for $120/foot. Some fool will buy it for his
tube-amped iPod.

--
Google is a pro-spamming service. I will not see your reply if you use Google.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Eld Bob Eld is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message
et...
Just listening to a BBC programme on the CERN LHC and heard a reference
to Rutherford cables for the superconducting magnets. These are a
special kind of Litz winding that permit much higher current handling
than a simple bunch.

I'm now waiting for the first snake oil cable company to offer these as
the ultimate for speakers. Perhaps I'll start a sweepstake for the date
of first appearance.

Probably need some liquid helium for those, but not likely to pass the wife
test.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

The problem is that operating environment spec of -273C to -270C. It
would make the $200/foot cable and $600 1GHz binding posts a tough
sell.

Noo, it will make the overall installation costlier and that will be a major
selling point, just include some proper cable instead of the cheap stuff you
recommend, something at say USD 200 an inch. Then we talk about serious
quality earnings on the hifi store markup. Surely earning quality is the
quality it is all about, right?

O;-)

Kind regards

Peter Larsen