Posted to rec.audio.tech
ron ron is offline

Default How to remove translator's voice from audio

I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for
stripping it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after
removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Zipperhead Zipperhead is offline

On Sep 1, 1:33*pm, ron wrote:
I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for
stripping it out? *But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after
removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron

You could try a Spanish filter.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

ron wrote:
I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for
stripping it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after
removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron

There are programmes that will record speech via a vox switch - the
recording happens only while the volume is above a given threshold. If
you play back your original and re-record with this, you should be able
to do what you want in a single pass.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bill Ruys Bill Ruys is offline

"ron" wrote in message
I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for stripping
it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after removing the
Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron

If the Spanish is spoken only in-between the English, you could simply use a
software gate to mute the much lower volume Spanish.

Some software packages also have a "remove silence" tool. You would need to
set the threshold somewhere between the volume of the English & Spanish
levels. If you're lucky, your software package will also remove the gaps
for you as part of the remove silence operation.

Bill.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
www.Queensbridge.us www.Queensbridge.us is offline
Banned

On Sep 1, 3:33 pm, ron wrote:
I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for
stripping it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after
removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron

I am new here, so maybe I don't understand the problem.

Couldn't you just bring it into Audacity and cut out the Spanish parts
and bring the English together?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"www.Queensbridge.us" wrote from Goooooooogle Groups ...
I am new here, so maybe I don't understand the problem.

Couldn't you just bring it into Audacity and cut out the Spanish parts
and bring the English together?

Sure, if you have the time and patience. OTOH, there are ways
of automating this process (or at least semi-automating it) since
we have computers now.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Bill Ruys" wrote ...
If the Spanish is spoken only in-between the English, you could simply use
a software gate to mute the much lower volume Spanish.

Some software packages also have a "remove silence" tool. You would need
to set the threshold somewhere between the volume of the English & Spanish
levels. If you're lucky, your software package will also remove the gaps
for you as part of the remove silence operation.

Indeed, Adobe Audition (nee. Syntrillium Cool Edit) will do both
functions (threshold gating, and silence removal). Alas, not both
in the same pass, but then I'm not sure I would want to do the
removal before checking the first step first.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
ron ron is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bill Ruys" wrote ...
If the Spanish is spoken only in-between the English, you could simply use
a software gate to mute the much lower volume Spanish.

Some software packages also have a "remove silence" tool. You would need
to set the threshold somewhere between the volume of the English & Spanish
levels. If you're lucky, your software package will also remove the gaps
for you as part of the remove silence operation.

Indeed, Adobe Audition (nee. Syntrillium Cool Edit) will do both
functions (threshold gating, and silence removal). Alas, not both
in the same pass, but then I'm not sure I would want to do the
removal before checking the first step first.

I should have made it clear that the Spanish is spoken in between the
English, so this sounds just what I'm looking for, thanks

If anyone knows any other programs that can do both the threshold
gating, and silence removal, please post names here.

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge

ron
Posted to rec.audio.tech
ron ron is offline

www.Queensbridge.us wrote:
On Sep 1, 3:33 pm, ron wrote:
I have an English talk with a Spanish translation in the background & am
looking for a way to remove the translation.

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is given to
the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the volume of
the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a basis for
stripping it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps left after
removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

thanks,
ron

I am new here, so maybe I don't understand the problem.

Couldn't you just bring it into Audacity and cut out the Spanish parts
and bring the English together?

I think I'd lose the will to live after about 10 minutes using this approach
Posted to rec.audio.tech

ron wrote:

The English speaker talks, then stops while the translation is
given to the room (and is picked up on the original speakers mic.)

This means that the translators voice is only about 20% of the
volume of the main speaker; I wonder if this could be used as a
basis for stripping it out? But I'd also have to close up the gaps
left after removing the Spanish.

Is there a fairly rapid way to do this on a PC?

I am new here, so maybe I don't understand the problem.

Couldn't you just bring it into Audacity and cut out the Spanish
parts and bring the English together?

I think I'd lose the will to live after about 10 minutes using this
approach

I'm not at all oonvinced that auto-editing is preferable for this single
event. And doing it manually is not all that much of a fuzz.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...
I'm not at all oonvinced that auto-editing is preferable for this single
event. And doing it manually is not all that much of a fuzz.

We don't know either that it is a single event, nor how long it is.
If it were 42 hours would that be different than 42 minutes?

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote ...

I'm not at all oonvinced that auto-editing is preferable for this
single event. And doing it manually is not all that much of a fuzz.

We don't know either that it is a single event, nor how long it is.
If it were 42 hours would that be different than 42 minutes?

Perhaps. I was just considering the real world of recorded audio and I am
not convinced that automated editing would work very well, just one thing
that could offset it would be audience coughs. I have however no
recollection of having seen the intended use of the edited recording
described, and crude cuts may not be an issue.

Coughs btw. recently caused a pianist to abandon the encore unfinished in
Tivoli Concert Hall ...

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Peter Larsen" wrote in ...
Coughs btw. recently caused a pianist to abandon the encore unfinished in
Tivoli Concert Hall ...

Audience noise (including coughs) used to drive me insane
when trying to do post-production on live recordings. But
now I just write them off as "natural environmental evidence"
that it is a live recording, not a supernatural studio creation.

A far distance from early live broadcasts and recordings when
they printed the program on silk to avoid paper rustling noise. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Peter Larsen" wrote in ...
Coughs btw. recently caused a pianist to abandon the encore unfinished in
Tivoli Concert Hall ...

Audience noise (including coughs) used to drive me insane
when trying to do post-production on live recordings. But
now I just write them off as "natural environmental evidence"
that it is a live recording, not a supernatural studio creation.

A far distance from early live broadcasts and recordings when
they printed the program on silk to avoid paper rustling noise. :-)

Paper rustling is as nothing compared to the now inevitable impromptu
renderings of Grand Valse by the audience.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Peter Larsen" wrote in ...

Coughs btw. recently caused a pianist to abandon the encore
unfinished in Tivoli Concert Hall ...

Audience noise (including coughs) used to drive me insane
when trying to do post-production on live recordings. But
now I just write them off as "natural environmental evidence"
that it is a live recording, not a supernatural studio creation.

Mostly they are just proof of authenticity. But some of the time the person
coughing is not in dire need of so doing. At a guitar quartet recording some
years ago a young female in the audience ... the type of person who finds it
natural to grab the next chair and use it for the legs ... was coughing
endlessly. But strangely offering her just one small piece of licorice cured
the dire malaise instantly.

A far distance from early live broadcasts and recordings when
they printed the program on silk to avoid paper rustling noise. :-)

A modest audience cough or a musicianschair noise is very handy for
reversemasking edits in the intermession between parts ....

Kind regards

Peter Larsen