Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

Default Behringer Equalizer

I posted this once before to get some opinions but the thread got
hijacked.
Thought I'd try again and add high-end to see if anyone over there
might
have advice. I got a behringer 8024 equalizer I wanted to play around
with.
I'm still waiting for a mic cable I ordered before experimenting so I
have
not done anything yet. I'm not interested in hearing about the
pro/cons/flaws/etc in attempting to equalize a room, thanks but please
take it elsewhere.

I'm using a technics surround sound processor (sh-ac500d) as a pre-
amp /
input selector. All my inputs to it are digital. It also is my
volume
control. The logical place to put the equalizer is after it of
course. But
that will be in the attenuated signal. I'm wondering if this is an
issue
because the behringer converts to digital internally? I'm using an
active
crossover with a couple adcoms downstream so I don't have any other
good
alternative volume controls.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote:

Thought I'd try again and add high-end to see if anyone over there
might have advice.

You can't do that, they are moderated.

I got a behringer 8024 equalizer I wanted to play around
with.

There is a newer version, so I hope the price was right.

not done anything yet. I'm not interested in hearing about the
pro/cons/flaws/etc in attempting to equalize a room, thanks but please
take it elsewhere.

The con is that auto eq seems to de designed by incompetent personnel that
does not understand the behavior of a linear loudspeaker in a room so the
auto eq tends to end up too bright. I never really did find out if such
devices allow custom target curves, it may be that you have to bias pink
noise like this:

20 Hz + 6 dB 100 Hz 0 dB 250 Hz 0 dB 16 kHz + 6 dB

so that when the resulting noise is displayed as linear on an analyser
expecting pink noise you DO get the B&K recommended room response curve
which happens to be -6 at 20 and at 20 with zero at 250. Just use 16 kHz
instead, 20 kHz is not always realistic.

control. The logical place to put the equalizer is after it of
course. But
that will be in the attenuated signal. I'm wondering if this is an
issue

Put a 12 to 15 dB fixed attenuator - or adjust the poweramps attenutation if
it has some - in front of the power amp to increase the line level you use
through the equalizer.

because the behringer converts to digital internally? I'm using an
active
crossover with a couple adcoms downstream so I don't have any other
good
alternative volume controls.

A plastic box with to times two resistors is not a complex construction.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen